News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] missile and super missile speeds

Started by Xaggoth, April 17, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaggoth

I'm wanting to change the speed of super missiles for the most part.  I'm betting there's just a quick hex change for it, but I didn't see it in any of the docs.  Any ideas?

begrimed

There is this:

http://www.metroidconstruction.com/docs/squishy_ichigoMissileSpeedTable.txt

I couldn't make sense enough of it to do anything. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did. If so, please explain it to me ja?

DSO

You could've just asked Squishy or I a long time ago, Grime. I'm surprised Squishy didn't include the explanation I had for editing the values, though.

Super Missle Table
08432B
                   --V--     --H--
Up Right            432B      432D
Diagonal Up Right   432F      4331
Right               4333      4335
Diagonal Down Right 4337      4339
Down Right          433B      433D
Down Left           433F      4341
Diagonal Down Left  4343      4345
Left                4347      4349
Diagonal Up Left    434B      434D
Up Left             434F      4351

The V column is for vertical speed locations. The H is for horizontal speed. Although there are values for vertical speed on purely horizontal flights, or horizontal speed for up/down, they don't get used and changing them won't change anything. The location of all this is in 8xxxx, xxxx being the value in the V or H rows for the direction you want to edit. As for why we have stuff like Down Left and Down Right, that's because aiming down in the air while Samus is facing to the right can be different than shooting down while facing to the left.

What you'll find at these locations is a lot of FF00 or something similar (bytes are reversed in the ROM, of course). Diagonals use slightly different speeds than straight up/down/left/right do. Increasing the value will slow the projectiles down (FFE0 = snail), reducing the value will speed them up, to a point. IIRC the current value for shooting left is FF00, and it took 21 frames from the time of shooting from standing against a door on one side of a 1 block wide room until the super missile hit the other side, whereas with the value changed FE00, acceleration will be faster and it'll take 16 frames.

Xaggoth

I had seen this table before, and it's making some sense.  I was wondering about this entry in the regular missile table, Diagonal Down Right.  It goes from 430F to 4401, but it seems like the entry should be 430F to 4311.  This looks like a counting error?

Xaggoth

I'm closer to what I want, I'm now looking for refire rates for missiles and super missiles.  I saw that Kej has a patch for better handling of super missiles, but SMILE only lets you change beam refire rates.  ANyone know?

DSO

IIRC they're at $90:C27B. The 0A is for missiles and the 14 is for Super missiles.

Xaggoth

Yeah that's the one, and after struggling to get .asm files to patch I finally have what I wanted, excellent.