News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Desolation

Started by jasinchen, March 20, 2023, 01:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail

So, I am playing in True Ending mode, on version 1.1.2, for video walkthrough. I was trying to fight Ridley but for some reason it seems like he does not take any damage. I could skip Ridley, but I want to collect 100% items, including power bomb tank behind Ridley. How to solve this problem?
https://youtu.be/HReqRVgKWf8
I have a save state for BizHawk emulator, if it helps.

jasinchen

Quote from: Mikhail on April 01, 2023, 10:01:58 AM
So, I am playing in True Ending mode, on version 1.1.2, for video walkthrough. I was trying to fight Ridley but for some reason it seems like he does not take any damage. I could skip Ridley, but I want to collect 100% items, including power bomb tank behind Ridley. How to solve this problem?
https://youtu.be/HReqRVgKWf8
I have a save state for BizHawk emulator, if it helps.
Try using Charge Plasma attacking Ridley instead of Super Missiles.

The Tonic Booth

After getting supers and high jump I couldn't find a way to get out of that small area of Nurk+Desert. All ways out I found required power bombs or speed booster. There is also a ledge pictured below that I was strangely unable to power grip

Playing on ver 1.1.2

Attached a zip with two images showing the location and the ledge

jasinchen

Quote from: The Tonic Booth on April 02, 2023, 08:15:12 PM
After getting supers and high jump I couldn't find a way to get out of that small area of Nurk+Desert. All ways out I found required power bombs or speed booster. There is also a ledge pictured below that I was strangely unable to power grip

Playing on ver 1.1.2

Attached a zip with two images showing the location and the ledge
HJ include Spring ball in MZM.

Green51

Does progressing in True Ending mode require starting from a 100% file? I got past the [spoiler]maze[/spoiler] and can't seem to find the [spoiler]vertical shaft to the underground area[/spoiler]

Edit: nevermind

jasinchen

Quote from: Green51 on April 11, 2023, 09:39:36 PM
Does progressing in True Ending mode require starting from a 100% file? I got past the [spoiler]maze[/spoiler] and can't seem to find the [spoiler]vertical shaft to the underground area[/spoiler]

Edit: nevermind
vertical shaft is in sand.

Green51

In true ending mode, I seem to be stuck after collecting Charge Beam, as there is no path forward without Morph Ball, and I can't find any method to backtrack.

jasinchen

Quote from: Green51 on April 12, 2023, 12:35:45 PM
In true ending mode, I seem to be stuck after collecting Charge Beam, as there is no path forward without Morph Ball, and I can't find any method to backtrack.
Go to Tangle and use shinespark to top elevator room

FANXINGPRIME

It's such a fantastic Chinese hack with 8 endings that I am not capable of stopping it!

wannabecinnabon

Wanted to say, huge fan of your hack, it was a blast to play through and going back and going back and seeing things like being able to skip every boss are pretty mind-blowing.
At one point I had a really weird softlock happen to me while fighting Serris, though. His head just kinda...detached from his body and stayed there without any collision, but the body kept moving around. I couldn't harm the head any more so I couldn't do anything but die. If I had to guess what could have caused this, it may have to do with the fact I killed him with a Pseudo Screw Attack, but I'm too lazy to test further lol. This was on Normal Mode, for the record. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/919746928768614452/1097280630343082166/Screenshot_210.png

For things I might want to see changed at some point, some of the boss music choices feel rather unfitting and odd. (The music for Yakuza 1 and Nightmare in particular felt super strange.) You had Serris's theme from Fusion in so clearly you could just add in their actual music tracks. Also, while this is probably my fault for being stupid, it took me like, literally over an hour to realize I could shinespark through that one wall in the True Ending route to progress past having Hi-Jump. I'd actually convinced myself I'd locked myself by going down to Nurk after getting Speed Booster, leading me to wipe my save and try again (before realizing that's the only place you can go) This may just be an issue of me not observing closely enough, but I'd never gotten stuck at any other point in the game so I dunno.

jasinchen

Quote from: wannabecinnabon on April 16, 2023, 06:25:12 PM
Wanted to say, huge fan of your hack, it was a blast to play through and going back and going back and seeing things like being able to skip every boss are pretty mind-blowing.
At one point I had a really weird softlock happen to me while fighting Serris, though. His head just kinda...detached from his body and stayed there without any collision, but the body kept moving around. I couldn't harm the head any more so I couldn't do anything but die. If I had to guess what could have caused this, it may have to do with the fact I killed him with a Pseudo Screw Attack, but I'm too lazy to test further lol. This was on Normal Mode, for the record. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/919746928768614452/1097280630343082166/Screenshot_210.png

For things I might want to see changed at some point, some of the boss music choices feel rather unfitting and odd. (The music for Yakuza 1 and Nightmare in particular felt super strange.) You had Serris's theme from Fusion in so clearly you could just add in their actual music tracks. Also, while this is probably my fault for being stupid, it took me like, literally over an hour to realize I could shinespark through that one wall in the True Ending route to progress past having Hi-Jump. I'd actually convinced myself I'd locked myself by going down to Nurk after getting Speed Booster, leading me to wipe my save and try again (before realizing that's the only place you can go) This may just be an issue of me not observing closely enough, but I'd never gotten stuck at any other point in the game so I dunno.
Thanks for playing. Very glad to see you enjoy this hack!!
I'll check the Serris issue, thanks for your reporting.
Vanilla Yak is same as serris, so I changed it to chozo statue boss music. I think it is fit to Yak (Both of them have 2 phase).
Nightmare music is same as Fusion, so I don't know what is wrong with it. :(
About stuck point, I guess you stuck at the shinesparking route in Nurk. I don't want to see anyone stucks in the game, it always makes players upset. So I will check the way and make it more obvious.

RealRed

Please tell me I didn't review this hack too early. Quality is dipping early on.
What's up with this savestates-required segment?

and right after the "wait 40 seconds for another kraid platform to respawn" content?
This is too much precision, too soon.

Conner

Quote from: RealRed on April 27, 2023, 08:29:46 AM
Please tell me I didn't review this hack too early. Quality is dipping early on.

and right after the "wait 40 seconds for another kraid platform to respawn" content?
This is too much precision, too soon.

If you can't handle spamming bombs to cross over one crumble block, maybe don't play Veteran ZM hacks

FelixWright

Quote from: RealRed on April 27, 2023, 08:29:46 AM

[spoiler]get as close as you can to being on top of a pit block without falling. then place a bomb. just as it's exploding, hold forward and the bomb will keep you from falling down.[/spoiler]

RealRed

Thanks cosmic. That worked, first try even.

Green51

Does anyone know how to enter the [spoiler]Speedball Tunnel[/spoiler] that passes thru the [spoiler]Screw Attack[/spoiler] room?
Also, is there an [spoiler]early Power Bomb pack[/spoiler] that skips having to do the [spoiler]Zero Suit section[/spoiler]?

jasinchen

Quote from: Green51 on April 29, 2023, 03:36:33 PM
Does anyone know how to enter the [spoiler]Speedball Tunnel[/spoiler] that passes thru the [spoiler]Screw Attack[/spoiler] room?
Also, is there an [spoiler]early Power Bomb pack[/spoiler] that skips having to do the [spoiler]Zero Suit section[/spoiler]?
Can only enter Speedball Tunnel before MB. That is [spoiler]skip MB way.[/spoiler]
Don't know what is 2nd question mean. But pb is earlier than zero suit.

Green51

Quote from: jasinchen on April 29, 2023, 05:10:25 PM
Quote from: Green51 on April 29, 2023, 03:36:33 PM
Can only enter Speedball Tunnel before MB. That is [spoiler]skip MB way.[/spoiler]
Don't know what is 2nd question mean. But pb is earlier than zero suit.

I figured out the Power Bombs. I'll figure the other one out too

RealRed

I've found a major glitch. If you press A + B + start + select, it immediately crashes the game. I think it's related to the MZM intro being removed. Would be a really nice fix for anyone playing on a GBA.

So, I reached a point of no return saved at Ridley. I did manage to kill Ridley, but with only 2 energy tanks, the fight was over almost as soon as it started. Took 10 or more attempts to win. Would you consider increasing Ridley's HP and lowering his damage? Imago hit half as hard, despite being the next boss.

One last thing. The dark blue platforms in the dark blue ceres/labratory area are very difficult to see. You might want to give them more contrast against the background.

caauyjdp

Quote from: RealRed on April 30, 2023, 11:21:10 AM
I've found a major glitch. If you press A + B + start + select, it immediately crashes the game. I think it's related to the MZM intro being removed. Would be a really nice fix for anyone playing on a GBA.
A+B+Start+Select is soft reset in zm, fusion, and many other gba games.
Does it actually crash, or just resets to title(which is normal)?

Oops, bizhawk was being bad and resetting on crash is bad and doesn't emulate 4000208 properly, treating it as boolean. No$ "crashes" properly.

Zhs2

I can confirm it crashes even on an emulator (using VBA-M) - black screen, garbage noise. Simply loading Desolation and pressing A+B+Start+Select on the title screen is enough to replicate this.

Quote from: Discord chat
— Today at 11:12 AM - 40m ago
sounds like a hardware interrupt, maybe they fucked up a pointer somewhere
— Today at 11:13 AM - 40m ago
most likely
they removed zero mission's normal intro
I bet that's directly linked
— Today at 11:13 AM - 40m ago
probably
most likely even
if they kept the old data for the interrupt but changed what was at the place it was pointing to, well that would very likely cause crashing

RealRed

Yeah, I use soft reset all the time. That's why I found it & that's why I'm hoping Jasinchen can fix it.

jasinchen

Quote from: RealRed on April 30, 2023, 12:03:31 PM
Yeah, I use soft reset all the time. That's why I found it & that's why I'm hoping Jasinchen can fix it.
Got it

Ambureon

This hack is very cool, love how open and freeform it is. Completed 100% runs on both Normal and NG+. Here's a map I made. (NG+ map is available on my website, linked in my forum signature.)

Heraface

This is more of a personal taste suggestion but can you merge the true ending maps with normal mode?for players like my father they're not good at these type of challenge modes and normal mode players lose on the beautiful crafted ending  scene you made. 10/10 work I hope to see more ZM tools developed so you can unleash your creativity in new ways