News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Glitch (Hack)

Started by GUZROCK, February 20, 2023, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GUZROCK

Well, I have been working throughout the years in some hacks which I couldn't finish, sometimes my game crashed and I couldn't fix and I gave up back then.
I still had a dream!! I decided to come up with something unexpected, kinda different but that works. A Super Metroid hack with full of bugs / glitches, yes that's right!
It was funny, because I wasn't worried about graphics. I went too far that I should have, because I needed to skip Kraid's room which was crashing the game and I couldn't find a way to fix it.

Actually, I have no experience in programing and I just used SMILE and YY-CHR_0.99 editors to get it done.
Some guys from the forum here helped me too, specially "caauyjdp" who helped me to fix a bug to have access to Tourian in my hack.

It may look like a 24h hack, but it isn't. I spent lotta time on it.

HACK ABANDONED.

Some Screenshots:

Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApgSv1zAUkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH_RV1df108

>> IPS patch removed <<

HACK ABANDONED.

TobiMikami

This should be in the completed stuff page if this is a complete hack, the super metroid page is generally for SM hacks in progress and SM in general. I'm sure an admin can come and move this thread over there for you.

neen

i'm gonna be real here. i appreciate avant garde art. it's mainly what i like and even produce myself. but is this anything other than corrupted graphics, broken scrolling, and item PLMs that are slightly off from where they should be? (yes i've played it for awhile, went thru early game, [lack of] kraid, ice beam, speed)

imo, if you're going to go hog wild and make the hack look this crazy, you should def make some meaningful edits to the rooms. because otherwise, it's just wacky graphics, which i do like but, without anything else i just get bored.

GUZROCK

@neen , I appreciate your comment and I agree with you, and that what it is: basicly same game with different graphics, but that is my limitation.
For my surprise, I couldn't figure it out what happened to Kraid's room and it was too late, my backup file was already messed up. :grin:

GUZROCK

@TobiMikami , thanks for your comment!
I don't know if this hack deserves to be there, let's wait if people will play it :oh:

Edit:
After seeing the quality of some hacks there, I will submit mine. Thx

Metaquarius

This kind of hack really needs to stop being made. Vomit, CRE, Glitchtroid, Homenag, Clocktoberfest... that has been done countless times in the past. That may be "fun" the first time around but ultimately just gives Super Metroid hacking a bad name and doesn't worth anyone's time.
At the very least, follow neen's advice and provide something unique that doesn't just look like a random assortment of garbled tiles put up together in 24h. But honestly, even then, I am not sure many would play it either.
Food for thoughts : Once I had an idea that the game starts out completely glitched out and you have to find your way through this incoherent mess, getting new upgrades does fix the game little by little and in the end, you must manage to fix all glitches. For example, jump button is glitched and doesn't work most of the time, you have to find an upgrade to jump consistently (either that or gravity is completely broken). Music starts out silent and/or out of tune, and you must restore it in order to trigger a boss fight, etc. That would be pretty stupid, but far more interesting than anything else done in this regard.

GUZROCK

@Metaquarius

I read your comment a couple of times and that made feel bad and stupid about what I've done.
My intention was not to waste people's time  and they play they want.

Therefore, I'm deleting the IPS patch from this forum and also the submission for the main site.

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: GUZROCK on February 21, 2023, 03:23:33 PM
@Metaquarius

I read your comment a couple of times and that made feel bad and stupid about what I've done.
My intention was not to waste people's time  and they play they want.

Therefore, I'm deleting the IPS patch from this forum.

You don't need to delete this necessarily. I think people just got tired of the discord getting spammed with a dozen updates to the same hack in one day. And this style of hack in particular.

That being said, I feel the same as Metaquarius in that it wouldn't be my cup of tea either. I know some folks dig this, but its audience is limited.

Keep this for what it is and work on a different project that would be more in tune with what everybody would rather play.

Keep experimenting with the level editors and have fun in the process. Don't let this experience kill what might grow into something cool one day.

But at the same time, resist the urge to share something prematurely.

Given what I read this week, I would recommend you hang up SMILE and go with SMART because it sounds like your project got over-written and corrupted multiple times. This forced you to make more and more limited design choices as a consequence.

Make backups, but at least with SMART if you make a mistake, you can go scorched-earth on the ROM and start from a fresh one.

Be patient. Expect roadblocks. Get frustrated, walk away from it, but pick it up again every so often. Don't wrap your self-worth up in an artificially imposed timeline.

Metaquarius

@GUZROCK

Don't feel bad. My point is that I am sure you can do better than just all out glitched tiles. Also echoing what OmegaDragnet9 said.

Noxus

Meta wasn't being mean, just matter of fact. Super Metroid: ÊÐæÏ@!Ðúi (yes I copy/pasted that lol) was made by Squishy, who is a legend in these parts. But that was in 2010, so this has been done before, a lot. I'd consider a good first attempt at hacking in general though, and learning more about the editor and level editing would be a good next step.

TobiMikami

This:
Quote from: Metaquarius on February 21, 2023, 05:09:46 PM
@GUZROCK

Don't feel bad. My point is that I am sure you can do better than just all out glitched tiles. Also echoing what OmegaDragnet9 said.

I felt like i would've sounded like an ass to critique, and didnt want to end up discouraging you, but Meta pretty much summed up most people's (+ every experienced Hacker and game designer's) take on something like this.

You don't necessarily need custom tiles and fancy stuff, that stuff is awesome, it creates a lot of interest because people like to see something new, but a good use of vanilla tiles and a nice, thoughtful room layout and game flow will suffice. Hack size doesn't matter either, mini hacks come out all the time. But people generally do want to play something that had some thought put into and isn't just endless spikes and damage, half broken stuff like bad slopes or soft locks.

H A M

clocktoberfest uses vanilla tiles

TobiMikami

Quote from: H A M on February 21, 2023, 09:07:30 PM
clocktoberfest uses vanilla tiles

I'm not sure how long you've been lurking the forums, but I originally found Metroid Construction in 2012, when people would post a landing site with some obstacle course of spikes and crap like that, which really isn't fun to play at all.

Clocktoberfest, Sil, stuff like that is like the step above that, it's like someone made a mini hack that's just, painfully offensive to ones ocular senses. When the whole "difficulty" or challenge to the hack is the fact that you can't see shit, it's not really good imo, it's not about the visuals, it's about the gameplay being trash, it's not 'Metroid-like' I guess is the best way to put it.

Anna

looks like this kind of hack need some more polishing let say all the sectors and all the texture and monsters need to be polished and even the whole game but i believe this can become great hack for people who want to play this it will be good for us :) i wish luck to this author of this hack to his progress on his hack