News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Fusion Master Quest

Started by Gameringly, January 29, 2023, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gameringly

The completed version is further down

Gameringly

Heres a peak at one of the SA-X chases where it competantly uses the morph ball, the SA-X code has not been changed
https://youtu.be/LAeyUCcac3Q
Wanted to show this cus its not something you see every day

Ridley12

Quote from: Gameringly on February 13, 2023, 05:43:13 PM
Heres a peak at one of the SA-X chases where it competantly uses the morph ball, the SA-X code has not been changed
https://youtu.be/LAeyUCcac3Q
Wanted to show this cus its not something you see every day
I can feel myself tensing up just watching this. :lol:

Gameringly

Metroid Fusion Master Quest is a hack that aims to remix all of metroid fusion. Adding new puzzles and changing old ones to make them more challenging. With generally more enemies per room, tighter platforming and new SA-X encounters this hack is slightly harder than the original fusion but is still casual friendly, no advanced tricks are required as I cannot do them myself.

This hack will test your knowledge of Fusion as secret shortcuts become the only way forward and entire sectors have to be traversed in different ways. You'll have to keep your eyes open for details in the environment to find secrets and items, of which many have been shuffled to entirely different rooms, and Adam will provide general advice as you progress.

The hack is now fully completed and available for download!

V2 update overhauls a significant amount of the level deisgn to have less block finding and more creative challenges and puzzles, fix tiling errors and softlocks, tweaked enemy stats and dialogue for a more enjoyable and polished experience

Zhs2

The very first way I could possibly softlock the Fusion event system, I did. I destroyed all of the atmospheric stabilizers and then grabbed charge beam, which permanently locks me into Sector 1 with no way to proceed. You might want to ensure there's at least one atmospheric stabilizer the player can't destroy before charge.

Gameringly

Quote from: Zhs2 on March 22, 2023, 05:02:13 PM
The very first way I could possibly softlock the Fusion event system, I did. I destroyed all of the atmospheric stabilizers and then grabbed charge beam, which permanently locks me into Sector 1 with no way to proceed. You might want to ensure there's at least one atmospheric stabilizer the player can't destroy before charge.

Thanks for pointing that out, should be fixed in v1.1.1 now

caauyjdp

I played the original release only, so don't know what changed since, but

Overall, decent fusion halfhack. Level edits were mostly fine and welcome. Text edits aside of bb references were good. Varia pal was great. Bonus points for changing the animals image.

I do have some nitpicks on difficulty spikes tho.

SA-X chase after yakuza. That part of mechanic wasn't used up to that point and it took me a while to remember it was a thing. And since it's a romhack you're not quite sure if you're supposed to figure out something or if there's a secret path somewhere through maindeck that you're supposed to find. One workaround might be having reactor entrance being one way until you get screw. Another is to use that mechanic earlier, for example on stabilizers.
* caauyjdp suddenly realizes he did sort of use it on two of the stabilizers..
Ok, that was dumb on my part. There was a 4hours+ gap between uses but I should have realized sooner.

Way to lvl4 locks tho. It's one of those moments when you start wondering if author only played with savestates. That kind of thing is usually fine for an optional item. Less so for progression. Even less so if you make it look like it is for an item...
I spend around 12hours playing this hack. 3 of them was opening lvl4..
edit: (after reading post below) ok, that was also me being dumb

Pre-pre-difusion download room. "no advanced tricks are required", it really seemed like you wanted player to do diagonal missile there like for one of the secret message methods. And when I did it, it didn't even destroy the missile block, so that left me confused if maybe something else was intended.

Item left from varia seemed like another "hope you're savestating" moment. Maybe I don't understand some mechanic there, but at least it's for an optional item. Perfectly acceptable.

Ridley area changes were very nice.

A minor suggestion to maybe not focus on hidden destructible blocks so much after player has access to pbs, because it's kind of pointless by then(and I don't mean have hidden air tunnels instead).

Thank you for the hack. Aside from lvl4 I enjoyed playing it(even tho I don't really like fusion).

Gameringly

Quote from: caauyjdp on March 23, 2023, 10:37:47 AM
I played the original release only, so don't know what changed since, but

Overall, decent fusion halfhack. Level edits were mostly fine and welcome. Text edits aside of bb references were good. Varia pal was great. Bonus points for changing the animals image.

I do have some nitpicks on difficulty spikes tho.

SA-X chase after yakuza. That part of mechanic wasn't used up to that point and it took me a while to remember it was a thing. And since it's a romhack you're not quite sure if you're supposed to figure out something or if there's a secret path somewhere through maindeck that you're supposed to find. One workaround might be having reactor entrance being one way until you get screw. Another is to use that mechanic earlier, for example on stabilizers.
* caauyjdp suddenly realizes he did sort of use it on two of the stabilizers..
Ok, that was dumb on my part. There was a 4hours+ gap between uses but I should have realized sooner.

Way to lvl4 locks tho. It's one of those moments when you start wondering if author only played with savestates. That kind of thing is usually fine for an optional item. Less so for progression. Even less so if you make it look like it is for an item...
I spend around 12hours playing this hack. 3 of them was opening lvl4..

Pre-pre-difusion download room. "no advanced tricks are required", it really seemed like you wanted player to do diagonal missile there like for one of the secret message methods. And when I did it, it didn't even destroy the missile block, so that left me confused if maybe something else was intended.

Item left from varia seemed like another "hope you're savestating" moment. Maybe I don't understand some mechanic there, but at least it's for an optional item. Perfectly acceptable.

Ridley area changes were very nice.

A minor suggestion to maybe not focus on hidden destructible blocks so much after player has access to pbs, because it's kind of pointless by then(and I don't mean have hidden air tunnels instead).

Thank you for the hack. Aside from lvl4 I enjoyed playing it(even tho I don't really like fusion).

I saw your playthrough and fixed alot of the bugs you found in the new patches, though that shinespark you did for that puzzle near level 4 is not intended, the intended solution is similar to the one just above it lol. However the item left of varia was a mistake and I have fixed it since. The missile block for the diagonal missile room was just supposed to be an indicator in case a player didnt know it was possible, but with the second method you found in my opinion its still fine. Thank you for playing!

caauyjdp

* caauyjdp facepalms
As someone said, sometimes, slope is just a slope.
Ty for the hack :)

Reseren

Not sure if this has been fixed in newer versions, but there's a softlock in sector 2 at the very bottom room with the missile tank and pancakes. When you shoot out the hidden tile and morph out of the room, if you try going back into the room the transition is broken and puts you into the sec2 elevator room and you cant get out.

Gameringly

Quote from: Reseren on March 23, 2023, 06:27:34 PM
Not sure if this has been fixed in newer versions, but there's a softlock in sector 2 at the very bottom room with the missile tank and pancakes. When you shoot out the hidden tile and morph out of the room, if you try going back into the room the transition is broken and puts you into the sec2 elevator room and you cant get out.

No idea how I missed that thanks for finding it, fixed now.

Zhs2

Just beat this hack, it was okay I guess. 4:34, 81%. I liked the SA-X invasion at the end, kind of dumb not to see them normally since the plasma vulnerable lore is really forced. I did not like the random section of drop-thru ledges first Sector 6 visit, they confused me to no end when they are A) used absolutely nowhere else and B) never explained, just forced on you. The rest of the hack is okay for veteran experience players and not truly that tough. Blocks added to boss rooms don't actually make the bosses more challenging. (Thanks for not adding any to Ridley's, I know that took restraint.) Oh, and the ending references were dumb, but whatever, it's just some silliness in a beatable challenge hack.

In the process, I found two non-event related softlocks:
- If you break through the speed blocks into the right section of Sector 3 before opening L2 locks, you will be stuck in the red column with nowhere to go.
- After beating Nightmare, you are able to return to the navigation room at the beginning of Sector 5, which locks both doors and traps you.

hugojmaia

The download links have been lost when the site was recovered.
Could you set them up again and make the hack available?