News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[M1] Metroid - Rogue Dawn - Version 1.21

Started by Grimlock, January 14, 2017, 12:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MathiasonPrj

Yeah, I didn't buy it. I just had a feeling of "I'd better check on this." That's why I figured I'd ask here.

FelixWright

Quote from: MathiasonPrj on August 10, 2019, 07:36:11 PM
Yeah, I didn't buy it. I just had a feeling of "I'd better check on this." That's why I figured I'd ask here.

Nice. It's good you asked! A lot of people fall victim to this sort of stuff. That isn't to say that there aren't legitimate carts of ROMHacks around, it's just that if they existed then the author of the hack would have said something about it. Take Super Metroid Eris for example. The author made their own limited edition box sets of their hack! http://dmantra.blackops.net/erisboxset/

MathiasonPrj

Yeah, if there was a legit cartridge of this game around, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.   :^_^:

Grimlock

If you're just getting into retro-game hacks and want a way to play them on your TV over HDMI here's what I would recommend:

AVS nes remake system:

https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78

Flash cart:

https://krikzz.com/store/home/31-everdrive-n8-nes.html

With those you don't have to buy carts off of the internet, you can just patch your ROMs and load them up on your flash cart and play through the AVS.

advancedpillow

Quote from: Cosmic on August 10, 2019, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: MathiasonPrj on August 10, 2019, 07:36:11 PM

Nice. It's good you asked! A lot of people fall victim to this sort of stuff. That isn't to say that there aren't legitimate carts of ROMHacks around, it's just that if they existed then the author of the hack would have said something about it. Take Super Metroid Eris for example. The author made their own limited edition box sets of their hack! http://dmantra.blackops.net/erisboxset/

Just to set the record straight, I made that boxset for Digital Mantra. And yes it's official as he was involved in the process every step of the way.

Emptyshiki

I was wondering if it was possible to convert a game to make a repro cart of this. I bought a SNROM ultima game for the purpose but i found out rogue dawn is an MMC3 game so i thought maybe is TNROM the only option? is this correct and is there anything special I need to do to make it work. I am a complete novice.
I would rather not get an everdrive or buy an unofficial copy.
Much appreciated.

metalmight

I don't understand the coloring choices you made. Why use so few colors? Why is Dawn blue and white? Is she made of ice?

AulusAgerius

Hi there, I am currently on my first run and this romhack is great, thanks for the hard work!

I am just wondering if this is possible on purpose or it's a bug.

Not entirely sure on how I clipped there, I think I spring jumped and bombed at the same time (possibly unmorphing too, I was simply spamming bombs to look for secrets :( )

I am soflocked now, but I kept a savestate just in case you need more info on this.

Sapphron

Pretty sure this is a result of NEStroid's wonky physics where you can unmorph and jump into a slope/even a solid block. There's a lot of these softlocks to find in this hack just because of that quirk unfortunately.

Rawkfist Gaming

So I just got Rogue Dawn, and it runs fine on Nestopia. But when I try to use my EverDrive on actual hardware, the game just boots to a solid grey screen with no sound. Is there a compatibility issue with the EverDrive?

exekutive

I'm stuck here. I got the wall jump and missile tank, but I don't have high jump yet.
How do I get out? I'm just going around in a circle.

Grimlock

Apologies for the lack of responses, we are typically on the Discord server for any game related questions.

Quote from: metalmight on February 23, 2020, 12:15:41 AM
I don't understand the coloring choices you made. Why use so few colors? Why is Dawn blue and white? Is she made of ice?

NES palette limitations

Quote from: Rawkfist Gaming on November 19, 2020, 06:48:36 AM
So I just got Rogue Dawn, and it runs fine on Nestopia. But when I try to use my EverDrive on actual hardware, the game just boots to a solid grey screen with no sound. Is there a compatibility issue with the EverDrive?

It should run fine on the Everdrive, that's what I use.  Try to update your firmware.

Quote from: exekutive on March 17, 2021, 07:41:05 PM
I'm stuck here. I got the wall jump and missile tank, but I don't have high jump yet.

Yes, you'll find the wall jump item in that area, you don't need the high jump there.

exekutive

Quote from: Grimlock on May 26, 2021, 12:09:17 AM

Yes, you'll find the wall jump item in that area, you don't need the high jump there.

I know wall jump is found in that area. I literally said  " I got the wall jump "
My question, again, is HOW DO I GET OUT?

MollyAncalime

i did a thing because nobody else has done a map with all the fun details and decor while easily readable on a screen, so here's one in the style of danidub's Metroid Map Station maps. Credit to Grim or whoever made the map included in the zip, WilhiteWarrior, danidub and CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT for the assets.
If anyone wants to edit this further, go for it, since literally none of it outside of the Game Start head is mine anyway.

Goes without saying, but don't click if you don't want to see spoilers or know where the extra hidden stuff is! edit(s) since first posted: changed the Game Start icon to look more like Dawn and less like Samus, realigned a couple missiles in the Surface to better fit grid, added bit more breathing room around sides of image to bump the resolution & aspect ratio to more regular numbers

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I don't suppose there are any 'official' unique or interesting names for the areas and bosses that I could maybe use to give this map a bit more flourish, by chance? Chozo Jungle and Ruins, Desolate Surface, Underwater Caverns and Federation Science Ship could all stand to be spiced up some, like a GFS title for the ship or a nice Chozo-y name for the others. Same for the ruins beast, pogo trooper, security robot and the Alpha Metroid. The Alpha Metroid especially needs it since we already have Alpha Metroids and have since 1991, whereas we've had Chozo Ruins since 2002. Samus Returns elected to be lazy for SR388's area names by just numbering them all outside of simply "Surface," so there's potentially some room to play off of AM2R's names there as well, perhaps? It seems that an old NEStroid guide does call the research ship the Pirates stole Metroids from the Marina, but I wouldn't want to slap that name onto the map exclusively without checking here first. Samus's ship looks more like her Super ship than her ZM ship in the ending, its not this fanmade hack's every detail has to gel with canon

Grimlock

Awesome work!  You missed a few secrets but if you DM me on discord we can chat about it and I'll provide the details.

Grimlock

Quote from: exekutive on July 11, 2021, 01:14:04 PM
Quote from: Grimlock on May 26, 2021, 12:09:17 AM

I know wall jump is found in that area. I literally said  " I got the wall jump "
My question, again, is HOW DO I GET OUT?

There's a secret path you roll through or you can use the wall jump to exit where you came in.  The secret where you roll out is easy, it's a round hole on the far right side as you ascend the tunnel that required the wall jump; to ascend.

exekutive

Quote from: Grimlock on July 27, 2021, 02:47:31 AM
  The secret where you roll out is easy, it's a round hole on the far right side as you ascend the tunnel that required the wall jump; to ascend.

This hole?
This is as close as I can get to it.  Standing up I get stuck. As a ball I can't roll over the hump.

exekutive

Quote from: Grimlock on July 27, 2021, 02:47:31 AMor you can use the wall jump to exit where you came in. 
This is the only other exit I can find, and I can't reach it.

exekutive

this entrance hole I'm unable to roll into

Some more details would be great.

exekutive

Quote from: Grimlock on July 27, 2021, 02:47:31 AM
  The secret where you roll out is easy, it's a round hole on the far right side as you ascend the tunnel that required the wall jump; to ascend.

I found a longplay youtube video where someone leaves through this hole by using bombs. I don't have bombs. Could this just be poor level design?

squashmvp

This is a good example of a hack that looks good but plays horribly. The lack of direction is rampant as collectibles needed to proceed are beyond extra hidden in the very inconsistently noted map that has no clear indication on what is really needed to proceed as well as what's even in the game, all spread out by nothing and more nothing with secret morph ball entrances within that nothing all mostly leading to nothing. It's like if they hid the morph ball where the missile tank at the bottom of Ridley's Lair is on NEStroid, but you're still in Brinstar and the Morph Ball isn't actually there. Some areas straight up just turn into a different section of the map too but that's nit picking, I think.

The real tragedy comes from the rampy/staircase design of the landscape. Most areas of the game just straight didn't feel good to play through despite it being so dang eye-catching. And the devs took advantage of that by placing enemies/obstacles where those rampy/staircase designs most effect her movement. I don't mean ambushes. I mean, Samus not being able to shoot upwards, jump, or walk forward because, "the game said so." It was pretty. But that's about all I've got for this one. Don't even wanna finish it tbh. I made it to the Ridley and Kraid-like bosses but I died on both with 1 Energy Tank, 40-45 Missiles(cause I found one omw to Ridley), Morph Ball Bombs, and Hi-Jump Boots. Nothing else. I played for 4 hours so it was an unrewarding experience. I would rate it on the page but I don't have the forum exp. so I'll put it here. 3/5 for this one.