News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Subversion

Started by amoeba, August 29, 2022, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmsong

Quote from: drb on March 29, 2024, 08:48:02 PM
It's not.  I don't condemn, but I don't endorse either.
That's fair.

Quote from: drb on March 29, 2024, 08:48:02 PM
You have access to a lot of E-tanks, at least 9 IIRC, before GT.  There's also a save point to refill via R-tanks right after.  You can damage GT with supers as well, he'll catch the first one but take damage from the rest until he throws it, and they're much higher DPS than charge shots.  That fight and Ridley are the hardest parts of Varia Skip, but it's still way easier than low%.  You can use easy mode to get an idea of what you're in for, but the removal of cold damage really changes Ridley.
Oh, I didn't know you can do that against GT.  Thanks for the tip.  I started my Varia Suit skip run (I actually started Easy mode, but then dropped it after what you told me), but I'm not quite at GT yet.  And yeah, Ridley is gonna be tough.  Sigh...  And if you say low% run is gonna be tough... well, that's gonna suck.  Well, I'm sure it's gonna be easier than the speed run (both).  I'm not gonna even attempt that one (my first normal mode was over 8 hrs -- no way I can cut that down to 2:20 -- even the speed runners get something like 1:40, and that's using some kind of wall glitch of some kind).

I still want early X-Ray though.  I don't like to play Metroid with an online map.  It just sucks the fun out of it.  But X-Ray is a fair game.

drb

Quote from: hmsong on March 30, 2024, 09:24:03 AM
Oh, I didn't know you can do that against GT.  Thanks for the tip.  I started my Varia Suit skip run (I actually started Easy mode, but then dropped it after what you told me), but I'm not quite at GT yet.  And yeah, Ridley is gonna be tough.  Sigh...  And if you say low% run is gonna be tough... well, that's gonna suck.  Well, I'm sure it's gonna be easier than the speed run (both).  I'm not gonna even attempt that one (my first normal mode was over 8 hrs -- no way I can cut that down to 2:20 -- even the speed runners get something like 1:40, and that's using some kind of wall glitch of some kind).

I still want early X-Ray though.  I don't like to play Metroid with an online map.  It just sucks the fun out of it.  But X-Ray is a fair game.

I ran a mock low% run (on easy) since we've been talking to confirm that high jump is skippable.  It is, and without too much pain - a couple of modest IBJs but that's a small price to pay for a Ridley fight that won't require TAS-level manipulation.  He's still gonna suck, but the rest of the run is more about patience and careful play than anything.  Here's my loadout if you want it:
[spoiler]
Missile, Morph, Gravity Boots, Bomb, Speed Ball
Aqua Suit, Dark Visor, Supers, Charge, Wave
Speed Booster, Varia, Power Bombs, Ice, Grapple
Metroid Suit, Plasma, Screw, and one E-tank
[/spoiler]

As far as the rest, that's the beauty of the genre that Subversion really exemplifies: the freedom to play the game in whatever way you personally enjoy the most.  GL/HF, feel free to drop me a DM if you get stuck.  Oh, and look into saving the animals at some point too if you haven't already.

hmsong

Quote from: drb on March 30, 2024, 02:33:00 PM
I ran a mock low% run (on easy) since we've been talking to confirm that high jump is skippable.  It is, and without too much pain - a couple of modest IBJs but that's a small price to pay for a Ridley fight that won't require TAS-level manipulation.  He's still gonna suck, but the rest of the run is more about patience and careful play than anything.  Here's my loadout if you want it:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

As far as the rest, that's the beauty of the genre that Subversion really exemplifies: the freedom to play the game in whatever way you personally enjoy the most.  GL/HF, feel free to drop me a DM if you get stuck.  Oh, and look into saving the animals at some point too if you haven't already.

Thanks.  Btw, how would you do IBJ underwater before obtaining Aqua Suit?  And I was certain Plasma would be skipped, since you don't need it to solve anything (the fact that it's one of the challenges proves that).

drb

Quote from: hmsong on March 30, 2024, 06:36:52 PM
Thanks.  Btw, how would you do IBJ underwater before obtaining Aqua Suit?  And I was certain Plasma would be skipped, since you don't need it to solve anything (the fact that it's one of the challenges proves that).
It's not an IBJ for Aqua Suit, it's either a gravity jump or a spring ball jump.

Plasma can be skipped, but IIRC you would need to
[spoiler]
Get the upgrade from Suzi Island, in order to reach and reactivate the generator, in order to reach Ridley
[/spoiler]
and that ain't gonna happen in a low% run.  :lol:

hmsong

Quote from: drb on March 30, 2024, 08:32:32 PM
It's not an IBJ for Aqua Suit, it's either a gravity jump or a spring ball jump.
Wait, what?  You said High Jump can be skipped, but without High Jump, you can't obtain Aqua Suit, right?  Or maybe I don't know what you mean by "gravity jump" and "spring ball jump"?

Quote from: drb on March 30, 2024, 08:32:32 PM
Plasma can be skipped, but IIRC you would need to
[spoiler]
Get the upgrade from Suzi Island, in order to reach and reactivate the generator, in order to reach Ridley
[/spoiler]
and that ain't gonna happen in a low% run.  :lol:
Jeez, that's gonna suck.  Has anyone ever completed that particular challenge?  I don't see that on YT.  I saw the 100% speedrun (and he did it 1:38 or something, although only because he exploited glitches), but not low%.

drb

Quote from: hmsong on March 31, 2024, 09:11:25 AM
Wait, what?  You said High Jump can be skipped, but without High Jump, you can't obtain Aqua Suit, right?  Or maybe I don't know what you mean by "gravity jump" and "spring ball jump"?
They're both techniques to gain extra height in water without Aqua/Gravity suit, and make skipping HJ possible in Subversion.  For this specific case Gravity Jump is the easier option:
[spoiler]
In West Corridor, open the door to the first underwater room but don't enter.  Instead, stand on the edge of the ledge, morph, dash towards the door and jump the instant before your momentum carries you through.  Keep holding jump+right and the rest should take care of itself.
[/spoiler]

General info/tutorials:
https://wiki.supermetroid.run/Spring_Ball
https://wiki.supermetroid.run/14%25#Gravity_Jump

Quote from: hmsong on March 31, 2024, 09:11:25 AM
Jeez, that's gonna suck.  Has anyone ever completed that particular challenge? 
I've done them all, Plasma Skip is way easier than Varia Skip or low%.  Suzi Island is unpleasant without Screw but that's the only tough part, and I did it incidentally on my first playthrough and survived.  Plasma itself isn't a loss as it's no stronger than Spazer with how Subversion assigns beam damage.

DreadX--Varia

I literally beat this hack today and I can honestly say it is better than Hyper Metroid (which is STILL a pretty darn good game btw). At first, I hated the really low gravity after getting off the station. However, my tune changed when I got the Gravity Boots. That's when I realized just how much it was like Metroid Prime. I really like how these guys handled the game and how they did everything. Like...bro. This hack is GOLDEN! Plus, Castlevania music in a Metroid hack is always nice.

hmsong

Quote from: drb on March 30, 2024, 02:33:00 PM

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I was simulating things for the low % run, and I found that Plasma/Hypercharge can be skipped (for an extra E tank).  You just need the Wave Beam to get past that Plasma Beam barrier (aim for the corner of the barrier).  That should make the challenge a bit more... bearable.  It still doesn't change the fact it's going to be a real painful experience.

AschKandor

Is there a way to turn the power back on after it's been turned off once?

Not having Verdite lasers powering a bunch of doors makes backtracking around the world a huge pain, such as trying to mop up items after getting the Scan Data, or
[spoiler]trying to get to the GFS Daphne after I noticed the label for it suspiciously hovering out in the distant map,[/spoiler]

EDIT: I am a dumbass; reactivating the generator appears to be part of the critical path, so never mind.