News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Subversion

Started by amoeba, August 29, 2022, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Euph

I played through this hack with 100% completion. It's pretty amazing and one of the top romhacks I've played.

Steel Sparkle

Best hack of the year hands down. This was fantastic. Excellent job!
Time: 6:15
Items: 82.7%

SuperSquad33

I've never had this much fun playing a ROM hack apart from since I've played Ascent, this is definitely on my favorite ROM hacks list fore sure, I even true 100% it. By that I mean: collected all of the items, completing all of the logs and saving the animals, the way to save them is pretty clever.

SirAileron

I thoroughly enjoyed playing through this. I'm really surprised how much stuff you managed to pack into this game, and the title really fits the experience. I don't know if I found every secret, but I did get 100% items and saved the animals. I already threw my recommendation at a bunch of my buddies.  :lol:

Mornwood

Hi, I've been a follower of this site for quite some time, however this is my first post ever on this forum. I'm enjoying this game a lot (seriously, this is easily one of the top 5 SM hacks I've ever played); I'm almost at endgame now, with virtually every major upgrade in my arsenal, yet I still can't find screw attack and Botwoon. Please any help?

[spoiler]PD: Of course, I haven't been able to beat Über Ridley yet either, however I assume I'll be able to do so once I complete any of the other 2 tasks.[/spoiler]

drb

Quote from: Mornwood on September 12, 2022, 05:22:09 PM
Hi, I've been a follower of this site for quite some time, however this is my first post ever on this forum. I'm enjoying this game a lot (seriously, this is easily one of the top 5 SM hacks I've ever played); I'm almost at endgame now, with virtually every major upgrade in my arsenal, yet I still can't find screw attack and Botwoon. Please any help?

Botwoon:
[spoiler]Optional, and isn't available until after you find a way back into the Space Port and... accomplish something.[/spoiler]

Screw Attack:
[spoiler]You'll need to find a way to beat Ridley.  Once you find Botwoon, you'll already have what you need.[/spoiler]

As long as I'm here, might as well announce that I've uploaded screenshot maps for Subversion: full map and plot-spoiler-free options are available.  A couple of notes:

- Door shell and gate info was pulled from playthroughs, as I've been unable to load the PLM layer in any editor.  As such, I can't guarantee 100% accuracy... if errors are found please let me know so I can fix.
- Obviously, the spoiler-free map is recommended for first-time players.  Everything's pretty much the same right up until the final area, anyway.
- The full map has seven extra items that aren't immediately available.  These have shared indexes with certain other items and only appear after a certain in-game event, and only then if you haven't collected them elsewhere.
- Three rooms are missing from the maps...

Zhs2

The hack page for this hack (https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=716) lists a website with broken content hosted on metroidconstruction.com that isn't the main website for it (which I presume would be http://edit-sm.art/subversion/) and also doesn't link to this forum thread.

Miranda Gemini

Quote from: Zhs2 on September 14, 2022, 03:01:00 PM
The hack page for this hack (https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=716) lists a website with broken content hosted on metroidconstruction.com that isn't the main website for it (which I presume would be http://edit-sm.art/subversion/) and also doesn't link to this forum thread.
I gone ahead and fixed those up, cheers for pointing it out.
On-topic, I've played a little bit of this so far, and it's really interesting. I'm not sure I have overall thoughts on this yet but if nothing else, it's an incredible showcase of what can be done in Super Metroid's engine. I'm not sure my expectations have been subverted yet but it's extremely impressive how far you've pushed SM to the limit.

DonnyDonovan

Yeah this is way up there in technical achievement and doing some very unique things with the game, and they were integrated very well.  I don't know if this is the greatest hack I've ever played as when you get to the best ones each is different in its own ways, but, it is a top-tier hack that should be mentioned in the same breath as all the greatest hits.  I only got 73% of the items so I'm going to go back and explore because I clearly missed a fair bit.  I assume hard mode just ups enemy damage and/or weakens beam strength?  I don't know if I'll play it or not.  I thought normal was about perfect, maybe a tad easy in places.

heenok

The hack is really fun so far, though [spoiler] seeing my logbook getting close to completion make me somewhat melancholic, as if it announces the impending end of the adventure. Or maybe it's a red herring and it  goes to 200% in the inverted castle, copium [/spoiler]

Also, I'm dumb [spoiler][/spoiler]

drb

Quote from: heenok on September 18, 2022, 01:27:09 AM
The hack is really fun so far, though [spoiler] seeing my logbook getting close to completion make me somewhat melancholic, as if it announces the impending end of the adventure. Or maybe it's a red herring and it  goes to 200% in the inverted castle, copium [/spoiler]
This...
[spoiler]...may not be as far-fetched as it sounds...[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

This thread should be moved to completed hacks or one should be started over there.  I don't know why this incredible game isn't generating more discussion.  This hack is amazing.

benox50

I agree,
and it is generating quite alot of talk actually, but on Discord, not here

FV2112

I've only started playing this hack, and right off the bat, I know this isn't like any ordinary SM hack. I literally feel like I'm playing an entirly different metroid game with SM's engine...The closest hack I can think of that gives me this feeling is Vitality, and not even Vitality does the kind of stuff that SM:S does...

TestRunner

Just released a 1.2 Update to subversion. This one is a bit more significant and addresses many of the issues players had with 1.1. Previous safe files should still be compatible, so feel free to update.

Patch notes:
[spoiler]Fix several typos and some minor logbook corrections
Fix some doors not animating correctly
Fix some map errors and minor tiling errors
Added some additional map info for late game
Added a save station to the Cargo Rail
The timed puzzle room has better indicators
Several required secrets are a bit less obscure
The path to Botwoon is easier to find
Add connector path to the very long dead end so that it is no longer a dead end
Remove self closing door feature
Fix glass tubes sometimes not staying broken
Increase damage of the bonus beam weapon
Minor door color adjustments
Minor enemy rebalance
Minor bug fixes[/spoiler]

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: TestRunner on September 22, 2022, 08:05:23 PM
Just released a 1.2 Update to subversion. This one is a bit more significant and addresses many of the issues players had with 1.1. Previous safe files should still be compatible, so feel free to update.

Patch notes:
[spoiler]Fix several typos and some minor logbook corrections
Fix some doors not animating correctly
Fix some map errors and minor tiling errors
Added some additional map info for late game
Added a save station to the Cargo Rail
The timed puzzle room has better indicators
Several required secrets are a bit less obscure
The path to Botwoon is easier to find
Add connector path to the very long dead end so that it is no longer a dead end
Remove self closing door feature
Fix glass tubes sometimes not staying broken
Increase damage of the bonus beam weapon
Minor door color adjustments
Minor enemy rebalance
Minor bug fixes[/spoiler]
Little note in case you use savestates. Do a ingame save and use that before you switch to 1.2. Savestates get messed up with new versions. Don't want people to lose progress in case they use them.

DonnyDonovan

I'm surprised you deleted the door feature.  It could be frustrating but also changed and made harder some of the shinespark elements in a way I was sure was intentional.  When I replay this it is going to be easier now.

RT-55J

I liked the self-closing doors for the vertical ones you could stand on, but otherwise they were generally just a minor inconvenience.

diablo888

there's a glitch with a potential for softlocking in the room where u find the [spoiler]x-ray scope. u can glitch horizontally into the pillar on the upper level with the grapple beam from the side and then grapple to the other block if ur lucky, unless u glitch perfectly into the pillar and u cant unmorphball.[/spoiler]

im no super veteran maybe the softlock can be unlocked. am on 1.2 updated from 1.1

also charge bar glitches cosmetically when hanging on a grapple block and switching weapons

Noxus

Yea, closing doors was a cool little "oh hey, check this out" kind of moment, but it really did mess with the gameplay flow.

GoldenTorizo

I have no idea how to get this E-Tank in Vulnar Cave that's being blocked by a gate. Is there an alternate route I am supposed to take? This is the only one I need to get 100%.

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.

Love Colored Magic

Having played about 15-20 Super Metroid hacks already, this lives up to the name Subversion by frequently subverting what I've gotten used to seeing in hacks.  I've gotten used to going through the same motions in boss fights after so many hacks and the usual "find all the bosses to unlock Tourian, invade Tourian and defeat brain, escape" routine.  The typical sequence is satisfyingly scrambled up here.

This hack started to win me over early on by being able to set the default movement speed to run.  Then I'm pleased to find that it adds additional layers to the exploration I hadn't expected to find.  There's more but I'll place those thoughts in a review.

There are some first playthrough highlights that don't fit that well into a review that I'll drop here.  Spoilers within for those who haven't seen the credits.

[spoiler]- I'm liking how useful mobility upgrades show up early on, makes getting around more pleasant.
- Oh no, disappearing blocks from Mega Man.
- I died at Crocomire.  Haven't had that happen since a hack where one is forced to fight it without Charge and only missiles.
- Space Jump got nerfed.  So stuff like ice and grapple are still relevant for navigation.
- Damn, can't seem to hide in Gold Torizo's blind spot.  Ended up fighting honestly.
- I locked myself out of Spazer and didn't obtain it until very late, after Plasma.
- The buffed Metroids would have been more of a shock if I wasn't already aware of their alteration in Super Zero Mission Hard.  (which I haven't played, only watched)
- Didn't think to backtrack with the Metroid Suit until after the Space Port went boom.  Something for the next playthrough.
- Hey, I recognize the music in the wrecked cargo ship.  Heard it in a Mario World hack but don't know if it's an original composition or from another source there.
[/spoiler]

And one last "help please" from the second playthrough.

[spoiler]How do I make it past the puzzle at the Path of Alactrity?  At best, I make it to where the last barrier rises up right as I arrive.  What factor am I missing?[/spoiler]

drb

Quote from: Love Colored Magic on September 29, 2022, 10:24:22 PM
And one last "help please" from the second playthrough.

Unlikely that you're missing anything, it's just really tight on the timing.  TBH most of that area is a pain, and kinda drags down the awesomeness of the rest of the game a little bit.  But anyway... 

[spoiler=Path of Alacrity]You can't break your run: start mashing fire as soon as you take off, and after about five or six shots angle down (using the shoulder button so you don't lose speed) and fire a couple more.  If you have wave + plasma equipped your shots should hit both targets.  Even after that you may still need to jump after crossing the crumble blocks, to clear the closing timer gate.[/spoiler]

Love Colored Magic

After way too many attempts, got past the last gate with a luckily placed jump and continued on my way.  Got logbook complete now.  Thanks for the input.

Logbook status persists even on reset or death.  Don't know if this is a feature, a bug, or a technical limitation.  Not really an issue for me anyways.

Now it's a different riddle that I'm completely stumped on and I'm going nuts.  Spoilers if one hasn't saved the animals and solved that riddle.

[spoiler]Fire only ice at dawns eye.  Could someone at least nudge me in the correct direction so I'm not randomly shooting everything with ice (or super missiles in desperation) hoping something will happen?  And how does this even work mechanically?  How can ice only open a doorway that ice plus other beams won't?[/spoiler]

drb

Quote from: Love Colored Magic on October 03, 2022, 03:15:42 AM
Now it's a different riddle that I'm completely stumped on and I'm going nuts.  Spoilers if one hasn't saved the animals and solved that riddle.

[spoiler=hint]
It's not a door that you're looking for.  You've seen the goal if you've watched the demo reel - the tileset should give you a feel for approximately where to look.  Find Dawn first, and then an eye.

[spoiler=bigger hint]
Ever notice that the Sky Temple map is symmetrical?  When you find what you're looking for, it won't be anymore.
[/spoiler]