News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Subversion

Started by amoeba, August 29, 2022, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcdubz

I've put in a good chunk of time in this today. It's hack of the year nominee material for sure, without a doubt. I'm not sure how far I am in it, but I would like to make a recommendation if you do any future updates and that is to swap some of the music around. In some sections, the custom music works wonderfully; in others, not so much (IMO). I know this is subjective, but I think switching around a few tracks might do wonders for immersion.

Other than that, this hack is pretty wild and I really applaud all you've done. You've really thrown out some of the old conventions and have thought through your world building/map design and it's clearly evident. From the first 30 min or so you can tell this is something special.

Can't wait to finish.

Tower

So i dont want to waste my time so i will ask. Is this a legit hack? Like it isnt just super metroid that was posted as a  joke? Cuz i read early comments and it sounds like that super turbo something something ultimate edition.

RT-55J

This is a legit hack, and inarguably one of the highest effort ones in the past half decade. Play it.

The early jokey posts in this thread are from when the opening post was a silly placeholder (a picture of a barely modified landing site). If the jokes don't make sense, don't worry about it.

DonnyDonovan

I am really glad to hear this is the real deal and wasn't a joke topic as it first appeared!  Will be commencing my journey as soon as time permits.  I'm also a college football fan and have a lot of games to watch this weekend. 

Zincoshine

Not only is it not a joke Donny, it is probably the hack of the year.

Quote from: Tower on September 02, 2022, 02:34:21 AM
So i dont want to waste my time so i will ask. Is this a legit hack? Like it isnt just super metroid that was posted as a  joke? Cuz i read early comments and it sounds like that super turbo something something ultimate edition.
It has a 5/5 from the two simon cowells of this community: me and KPF. What do you think? Go and play it immediately.

RT-55J

Look, I'm glad both you and KPF found a hack you seem to enjoy, but imho it's bad form to leave a review a hack that you haven't finished playing (whether that means seeing the credits roll or ragequitting).

DonnyDonovan

Exactly.  Who knows Zinco, maybe you'll come across some challenge later that you don't like, demand it be changed, and ask the creators to have more regard for their work, something like that.

Noxus

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 02, 2022, 03:02:37 PM
Exactly.  Who knows Zinco, maybe you'll come across some challenge later that you don't like, demand it be changed, and ask the creators to have more regard for their work, something like that.
:lol:

Zincoshine

Sorry :( I do plan to do a full review though. Unfortunately, it will be some time before that happens as there's 10 hacks I plan to play first...

[spoiler]
Project Base (ongoing)
super metroid space junk - 0.33x  old review: not recommended (softlocks, sprite glitches, glitchy placements, great mod otherwise with perfect metroid feel)
super metroid arrival (near top rated) - 0.5x
super metroid nature (near top rated) - 0.75x
metroid super speed zero mission (top rated?) - 3x
super metroid harvest - 0.75x
super metroid polarity  (near top rated) - 0.5x
hyper metroid (top rated) - 2x
super metroid vitality (top rated) - 1.5x
super metroid cryogenesis (top rated) - 1x
super metroid subversion (top rated) - 2x
super metroid YPX/redux  (near top rated) (veteran?) - 1.5x
Super Duper Metroid (top rated) (veteran) - 1x
super metroid ascent  (top rated) (veteran) - 1.5x
[/spoiler]

drb

Possible bug/compatibility issue: playing Version 1.0 in easy mode on SNES9X 1.57.

[spoiler]Returned to Space Port after turning off the green lasers, acquired Metroid Suit.  Found a terminal that prompts "Engage engines with docking clamps active?"  No problem selecting NO, but selecting YES causes the HUD to disappear and the game to lock up.[/spoiler]

The hack description mentions that it's meant to be played on hardware so it seems like this may be a compatibility issue, or maybe even fixed in 1.1?  Either way I'm hoping the action in the spoiler tag isn't required; going to continue exploring elsewhere for now.

RT-55J

Saves are compatible between v1.0 and v1.1. I recommend upgrading when you can.

drb

Quote from: RT-55J on September 04, 2022, 08:48:14 PM
Saves are compatible between v1.0 and v1.1. I recommend upgrading when you can.

Thanks for the quick reply.  The issue is no longer present after upgrading to 1.1, though I had to use a save state in the landing site to make the jump - SRAM saves were crashing immediately upon loading as well.  All good now, though!

DonnyDonovan

I just wanted to say I think I'm about halfway through and, acknowledging recency bias and all that, this might be the greatest SM hack I've ever played.  It's that good.

I don't recall being this impressed with something I didn't even know was in development since playing through the Phazon hack the first time like 12 years ago. 

drb

Completed, 100% in 7:28 on easy mode.  I did have another crash, trying to use either door to exit Draygon's room - accessing the pause menu cleared it up.

One curiosity - the bestiary section of my logbook finished at 90%, the second-to-last entry (after Ridley) is missing.  I thought it would end up being the final boss, but no.  Did I miss something?

RT-55J

I can't remember what exactly was in that slot, but you might have missed:

[spoiler]Botwoon[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Hint as to where I should be headed next?  The last major items I acquired were [spoiler]speed booster and space jump[/spoiler]  Every path seemingly available to me is either too hot or too cold and I don't feel like that's intended based on the difficulty so far.

TestRunner

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 05, 2022, 09:30:03 PM
Hint as to where I should be headed next?  The last major items I acquired were [spoiler]speed booster and space jump[/spoiler]  Every path seemingly available to me is either too hot or too cold and I don't feel like that's intended based on the difficulty so far.

[spoiler]The place that's too cold is progression. The damage is quite low.[/spoiler]

drb

Quote from: RT-55J on September 05, 2022, 04:09:44 PM
I can't remember what exactly was in that slot, but you might have missed:

[spoiler]Botwoon[/spoiler]

Nah, got that one.  Here's my endgame list:
[spoiler]
Torizo
Spore Spawn
Kraid
Crocomire
Phantoon
Botwoon
Draygon
Ridley
????????
Aurora Unit
[/spoiler]

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 05, 2022, 09:30:03 PM
Every path seemingly available to me is either too hot or too cold and I don't feel like that's intended based on the difficulty so far.
Too cold?  I know exactly where you're talking about but I never took cold damage there, only ever took environment damage in the hot areas. 

TestRunner

Hmm curious. The missing entry is [spoiler]Metroids[/spoiler]. There might be a bug with that event not getting set if you clear the fight very quickly and leave the item room to the left? I think I have an event set to the wrong number.

RT-55J

Quote from: drb on September 05, 2022, 11:37:01 PM
Too cold?  I know exactly where you're talking about but I never took cold damage there, only ever took environment damage in the hot areas.

The presence of cold damage is one of the differences between easy and normal modes FWIW.

drb

Ahhh.... cool and cool.  Last question from me, I promise... is it impossible to save the animals if
[spoiler] I finished the game with the generator/lasers turned on? It seems to be powering the animals' gate and I'm not seeing another way to get it open.

drb

Quote from: TestRunner on September 05, 2022, 11:53:10 PM
There might be a bug with that event not getting set if you clear the fight very quickly and leave the item room to the left? I think I have an event set to the wrong number.

Looks like that's exactly what happened.  I loaded up a save up there and got the log entry immediately upon re-entering the room.

Quote from: TestRunner on September 06, 2022, 12:26:48 AM
:)

You... you're a monster!  :lol:

DonnyDonovan

Thanks for the assist.  I'm back on my way.  I missed an aspect of a certain boss encounter and thought I was at a literal dead end (I'm sure you know what I mean).