News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Subversion

Started by amoeba, August 29, 2022, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoeba

Update: Hack is done? Version 1.2 released.

http://edit-sm.art/subversion/

Version 1.2 is out. This addresses some issues and bugs found after release. Saves are compatible, so you should upgrade now if you are playing.

Hey, TestRunner and I have decided to work on a hack and make a post about it. It will have all new rooms with also lots of new abilities and some custom enemies. I'm sure everyone else will help me make my excellent ideas so it will only take two days.

It should be accessible to anyone who can 100% Super Metroid, but it's bigger.

Current progress: All areas started.

Here is a picture from the hack of landing site with a Kago added:

This is a very important Kago.

RT-55J

wow nice! i never knew you could put kagos outside :O :O :O i thought that they would dry out in the open sun

DonnyDonovan

Nice to start the day with the joke post we didn't know we needed.  :lol:

Noxus

Looks great so far! Can't wait to play it!  :lol:

suggestion: put the kago to the right of the ship instead of the left. It's more important there.

Keep us posted

FelixWright

I was joking before but in all seriousness there is already a problem with this mod. You see, the Kago is placed on the left side of the screen on top of the ground. Also, blue crateria is used. These changes make the hack glitch-gated and are not good metroidvania design. Players will be forced to use the left walk glitch and the left jump glitch to proceed. I don't know why you metconstians think that metroid is about precision platforming, or what your fetish is with the color blue... In conclusion, I will be forced to rate this hack one orb. However, if you revert these changes, and use the red crateria tileset, I will consider giving the mod a more generous score of 2 orbs, and inform others who feel the same to take a second look.

RT-55J

Felix, pls. Leftwalk is not a glitch. You can clearly see it in the attract mode demos if you leave the gaem on the title screen. In fact, you'd be surprised to learn that a lot of common techniques are in those title demos if you watch long enough, such as wall-junping, shinesparking, mid-air morphing, crystal flashing, special beam attacks, damage boosting, mockballing, short-charging, x-ray climbing, g-mode, r-mode, x-mode, triple spring ball jumps, r-shooting, the corollax trick, underwater bomb jumping, scan dashing, ice beam before Flaagrah after Flahgraa, pseudo-waves, and shine-sinking. Just because you can't do any of those tricks doesn't mean our niche community here can't make hacks that cater to our particular interests.

Gosh!

amoeba

I have added a Kago to the other side of the ship as well. I'll update the hack progress soon.

nodever2

This is insane :whoa: keep up the great work!
bets on this being the start of the hype cycle to their fullhack release?

Noxus

Quote from: amoeba on August 30, 2022, 04:29:51 PM
I have added a Kago to the other side of the ship as well. I'll update the hack progress soon.
Great! Also feel free to put any glitches RT mentioned above in it, but please, PLEASE don't put walljump in. I really want the widest range of Metroidvania fans to be able to play this. Maybe don't put in left walk glitch either, just incase. I'd hate to have to give only one orb. Thank you

P.JBoy

Don't forget to make plenty of backu-- looks at hack name... never mind

OneOf99

Quote from: RT-55J on August 30, 2022, 03:42:24 PM
Felix, pls. Leftwalk is not a glitch. You can clearly see it in the attract mode demos if you leave the gaem on the title screen. In fact, you'd be surprised to learn that a lot of common techniques are in those title demos if you watch long enough, such as wall-junping, shinesparking, mid-air morphing, crystal flashing, special beam attacks, damage boosting, mockballing, short-charging, x-ray climbing, g-mode, r-mode, x-mode, triple spring ball jumps, r-shooting, the corollax trick, underwater bomb jumping, scan dashing, ice beam before Flaagrah after Flahgraa, pseudo-waves, and shine-sinking. Just because you can't do any of those tricks doesn't mean our niche community here can't make hacks that cater to our particular interests.

Gosh!
I think it was a typo and Felix meant the right-walk glitch, which has been confirmed by the late and great Sakamoto himself to be unintended (he told me in an email).

Zincoshine

Quote from: FelixWright on August 30, 2022, 01:21:16 PM
I was joking before but in all seriousness there is already a problem with this mod. You see, the Kago is placed on the left side of the screen on top of the ground. Also, blue crateria is used. These changes make the hack glitch-gated and are not good metroidvania design. Players will be forced to use the left walk glitch and the left jump glitch to proceed. I don't know why you metconstians think that metroid is about precision platforming, or what your fetish is with the color blue... In conclusion, I will be forced to rate this hack one orb. However, if you revert these changes, and use the red crateria tileset, I will consider giving the mod a more generous score of 2 orbs, and inform others who feel the same to take a second look.
hahahaha. Although I should mention I never actually had a problem with blue being so common in hacks. It's my favorite color as well after all. I was just curious why there was this strange pattern, that's all.....

Noxus

Quote from: Zincoshine on August 31, 2022, 03:32:29 PM
Quote from: FelixWright on August 30, 2022, 01:21:16 PM
hahahaha. Although I should mention I never actually had a problem with blue being so common in hacks. It's my favorite color as well after all. I was just curious why there was this strange pattern, that's all.....
There was a contest that the theme was "blue", so that accounts for some of them

nodever2

Which difficulty mode is the "intended"/"primary" experience the hack was developed for, if there is one? trying to decide between Easy and Hard, leaning towards Hard since it doesn't sound too bad but just was curious about it

TestRunner

Quote from: nodever2 on August 31, 2022, 08:40:25 PM
Which difficulty mode is the "intended"/"primary" experience the hack was developed for, if there is one? trying to decide between Easy and Hard, leaning towards Hard since it doesn't sound too bad but just was curious about it
The intended difficulty is Normal for a first play. Normal is going to offer a bit more challenge than Vanilla, while Easy is going to be easier than vanilla. Hard mode is unlocked after beating the game once.

nodever2

Quote from: TestRunner on August 31, 2022, 08:42:51 PM
Quote from: nodever2 on August 31, 2022, 08:40:25 PM
The intended difficulty is Normal for a first play. Normal is going to offer a bit more challenge than Vanilla, while Easy is going to be easier than vanilla. Hard mode is unlocked after beating the game once.
Oh, thank you for the clarification. The description made me think there was only Easy and Hard. Will definitely go with Normal then!

dewhi100

Holy shit congrats to both of you! This is going to be a wild ride

Zincoshine

I'm adding this to my todo list. It looks extremely interesting. I'm especially impressed that you decided to design this as a proper standalone metroidvania in terms of production value and quality. To be honest, when I first saw this thread I looked at the replies and I thought that this whole thread was just a troll post aimed at mocking me for holding hacks to a high standard.... but this is actually a real thing... and wow what a thing it is. It looks amazing.

amoeba

Quote from: Zincoshine on September 01, 2022, 03:49:43 AM
I'm adding this to my todo list. It looks extremely interesting. I'm especially impressed that you decided to design this as a proper standalone metroidvania in terms of production value and quality. To be honest, when I first saw this thread I looked at the replies and I thought that this whole thread was just a troll post aimed at mocking me for holding hacks to a high standard.... but this is actually a real thing... and wow what a thing it is. It looks amazing.

You can be relieved that I'm not a forum regular,and I don't really know who you are. I do hope you enjoy this one, but I made it for me and TR. I am looking forward to seeing the joy it brings others. I made this thread because I wanted to make a joke about landing site threads. It also played into the hack title and was just funny.

Zincoshine

It has already brought me joy in the 20 minutes I pre-played it, that's for sure. Haha. I'll be sure to give feedback when I do eventually get around to playing it fully.  :^_^:

And since you don't know, the second post felix made was a reference to my past reviews for bad hacks, and all the replies his comment got were also references to my past reviews.

Noxus

Quote from: Zincoshine on September 01, 2022, 12:44:18 PM
It has already brought me joy in the 20 minutes I pre-played it, that's for sure. Haha. I'll be sure to give feedback when I do eventually get around to playing it fully.  :^_^:

And since you don't know, the second post felix made was a reference to my past reviews for bad hacks, and all the replies his comment got were also references to my past reviews.
Tbf, the past hacks aren't "bad", they're just "old". Dmantra (of Vitality fame) started this whole quality hack thing with Eris. Tools these days have made making quality hacks more accessible to the average hacker, of which there is, what, 5 of them now?  :lol: Anyways, if you want to blame someone for bad hacks being out there, you can blame Dmantra.

Zincoshine

I blame no one, only our former immaturity and inexperience when us millennials were the world's younger generation. Blaming DMantra when he made one of the most visually stunning hacks ever is ridiculous, even if it isn't playable. Stuff is much better quality now (confirmed in the case of metroid zero mission, allegedly so in the case of super metroid as I have yet to reach the newer hacks and see for myself) and it is because we became older, more mature, more patient, and more responsible.

Noxus

Quote from: Zincoshine on September 01, 2022, 02:57:47 PM
I blame no one, only our former immaturity and inexperience when us millennials were the world's younger generation. Blaming DMantra when he made one of the most visually stunning hacks ever is ridiculous, even if it isn't playable. Stuff is much better quality now (confirmed in the case of metroid zero mission, allegedly so in the case of super metroid as I have yet to reach the newer hacks and see for myself) and it is because we became older, more mature, more patient, and more responsible.
I only meant that hacks like Eris have raised the bar. Not playable though?  :heheh: