Metroid ES Mission Global talk (Update , Testing , Glitch found etc...)

Started by Meinos Belfort, August 18, 2022, 09:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meinos Belfort

[Update 4.0: Polished most GFX and added a custom song , nerfed heavy weapon maximun capacity On any difficulty to make it more legit , nerfed kraid since he was too bulky for hard mode , but he's still hard , just less frustating , and others stuff more and less important]

Reminding if you wanna but it's totally optionnal and it could help to leave a rating on the original link , telling what's was made better or not could gave me an idea of how i could improve it in a near future.

Heya i'm Meinos and i'm actually the one "behind" ES Mission , This thread is to talk about this rom hack , in any version starting with the first released here (meaning 2.0) to the last version (3.5) but before it's better to say how the idea came to my mind since Project ZM , another Vanilla + of Zero Mission was already there way before ES was a thing ,  even EX (who's a forgotten project)

Starting from the beginning , i didn't even KNOW that Project ZM was a thing at the start when i was working on EX Mission as a better version of the vanilla game , i used mage and some random patches and barely editing somestuff , the result was not good at all and i saw it even more and more. and it took me long to release the 1.6 , who was at the end of 2021 (started the project in october on my free time)

however after learning about project ZM , a lot of stuff became way more clear than EX Mission was a "Failed" experiment and i needed to learn about Hex editing , which even now is still the case , so i made another project a few days after the 1.6 of EX , called "Better Zero Mission".

Better zero mission was personally renamed ES Mission on 1.2 and i was way more proud of it than EX.
after a long break i started working on it again i hope to be more motivated until i found some people that i asked question
, make me learn on changing the game. month after the old 1.4 got deleted to be an better version (Aka 2.0) i was relived but
a bit disapointed when people played with a certain control because i didn't text it , occuring a soft lock. (got fixed on 2.5 3 / 4 days after)... making a bad start for this project.

However , i'm still working on it ES Mission is now on 3.0 (since the 16 august) and is way more playable than the older version (however 2.8 and 3.0 are kinda simillar since it was just some fix and palette editing , + renoving the void room at brinstar.)

Unlike the vanilla game , Samus start next to her ship at crateria

-Unknown items are enabled from the beginning
-The wall jump take less time
-Game difficulty got revised , mostly that hard mode is truly hard if unprepared , unlike vanilla ZM.
-The map room is called void too , since you can travell from others map station and full area with the one on brinstar and alllowing even more sequence break , more or less heavier. , and a lot of others stuff in game , still in keeping the original plot / Map "intact".

Difficulty is around vanilla in Normal , maybe a bit more harder (Hard is truly raw however , even the easiest boss is a pain , but not unfair.

(IT is possible to have the super missile earlier on , the one on brinstar , the bombs is the key since the beginning)

Edit 26 August 2022
Since the game is kinda punitive against Major bosses , i wanted to share a video (100% run) of ES Mission and showing trick to make them way easier , mostly for lower norfair and "Him" , i change controls midway to show that it is also possible to play with the GBA one with issue , since 2.0 had a shinespark and crouch issue , Even if i'm way more confortable with the SNES one

https://youtu.be/jkCLDezI-Z4

And there's a link toward the page of the patch
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=705

Steel Sparkle

I got some things to say so. (this is being played on normal btw)
Maybe i have made some kind of mistake and if i have i do apologize.

[spoiler]As of this post i am up to Ridley himself.
Kraid has more health and is tougher with faster projectiles and will be a road block because with the multiple tries it took to beat him, most of the damage feels completly unavoidable.

As for Ridley, Ridley is unrelenting, has tons more health and im starting to think with 205 missiles and 28 supers and 6 Energy Tanks its not possible to beat him at this point. Gonna keep trying but if this is how hard NORMAL difficulty is with these bosses i highly suggest starting with Easy untill they get a little bit of a Nerf (Mainly Ridley).

This is not helped by the fact the Varia suit ON NORMAL only grants 20% damage reduction.
The Energy Tanks do NOT grant a full 100 Energy anymore for some reason.
Aside from these complaints, so far im really liking this hack! but for me those splotches (mainly Ridley) almost ruin it for me. [/spoiler]

Meinos Belfort

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on August 18, 2022, 07:11:46 PM

Kraid has more health and is tougher with faster projectiles and will be a road block because with the multiple tries it took to beat him, most of the damage feels completly unavoidable.

As for Ridley, Ridley is unrelenting, has tons more health and im starting to think with 205 missiles and 28 supers and 6 Energy Tanks its not possible to beat him at this point. Gonna keep trying but if this is how hard NORMAL difficulty is with these bosses i highly suggest starting with Easy untill they get a little bit of a Nerf (Mainly Ridley).

This is not helped by the fact the Varia suit ON NORMAL only grants 20% damage reduction.
Aside from these complaints, so far im really liking this hack! but for me those splotches (mainly Ridley) almost ruin it for me. [/spoiler]

Sorry for the Late Answer , but ES is hard on purpose (mostly forcing exploration or trying to find a way to beat some part boss)
since mostly Plasma and Space jump are possible to have really early in the game by exploring a bit.

I just made a 100% Video that i'll share on the first post just in case you are locked if that could help (100% Normal)

And for the E-tank , as it said to the read me i wanted to make Easy , Normal , And with a good space of difficulty , Easy and NORMAL shared the same e-tank and missile value , making it kinda simillar , and HARD was a huge difficulty spike from normal

My first goal by making ES was at first only a vanilla + , but after playing dread i appreciated how the game forced you to memorize the pattern. and made it on that version.

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Meinos Belfort on August 25, 2022, 07:10:15 PM
Quote from: Steel Sparkle on August 18, 2022, 07:11:46 PM

Sorry for the Late Answer , but ES is hard on purpose (mostly forcing exploration or trying to find a way to beat some part boss)
since mostly Plasma and Space jump are possible to have really early in the game by exploring a bit.

I just made a 100% Video that i'll share on the first post just in case you are locked if that could help (100% Normal)

And for the E-tank , as it said to the read me i wanted to make Easy , Normal , And with a good space of difficulty , Easy and NORMAL shared the same e-tank and missile value , making it kinda simillar , and HARD was a huge difficulty spike from normal

My first goal by making ES was at first only a vanilla + , but after playing dread i appreciated how the game forced you to memorize the pattern. and made it on that version.
I ended up playing on easy mode and beat it that way.  Normal was too much for me when i made it to ridley.

Meinos Belfort

As i said (or think said) Ridley is hard if you don't Have plasma + charge beam , it's way more easier and actually possible to get it way more earlier if you check chozodia earlier in the game (and you could anytime as long as you have the super missile) , The super Missile do actually a buch of damage (2800 if you have 28 super , around 25% of his life) and charged plasma too , don't hesitate to destroy his fireball since the drop of super and power bomb got edited (SNES control nhave beam burst , using each time a power bomb if used as a instant charged shot , GBA one have R-Shot like in dread / Fusion , depend of how you actually play the game)

makazuwr32

As someone who defeated recently without any damage Ridley on hard difficulty i must confirm that with plasma + space jump ridley is easier than kraid.
Also just in case i collected 9 energy tanks (8 normally + 1 from space pirate before mecha ridley), 46 missile tanks, 11 super tanks and 6 power bomb tanks. Addition of void ridiculously helps  in sequence breaking.

Akso i wonder if it is possible to entirely skip MB and go to Mecha ridley and finishing escape sequence?

Meinos Belfort

Quote from: makazuwr32 on August 28, 2022, 03:05:06 AM
As someone who defeated recently without any damage Ridley on hard difficulty i must confirm that with plasma + space jump ridley is easier than kraid.
Also just in case i collected 9 energy tanks (8 normally + 1 from space pirate before mecha ridley), 46 missile tanks, 11 super tanks and 6 power bomb tanks. Addition of void ridiculously helps  in sequence breaking.

Akso i wonder if it is possible to entirely skip MB and go to Mecha ridley and finishing escape sequence?

Even if it's not requested to go straight to chozodia , it is possible to go there and finish the game after destroying mecha with the help of power bombs and screw attack in the Void all the way down , and will greatly cut the time for a low% run (15% or less) but hard is lethal like this.

Void help a lot in sequence breaking on purpose , and they are fairly placed correctly. (in the map zone since it's the most logical )

Some graphical edit are coming soon , if you have any subjestion / issue with the game (like editing the cooldown of missile and super to be less broken) Btw it will be nice (if you wanna) to gave a review (or update it for the player of 2.0 / 2.5 / 2.8) for sharing your view and opinion , it could help me balance the game before releasing the upcoming update.

Let's just have a peak on the new tank deisign for now ^^ (Based on Project Base and AM2R for the E-tank)

Meinos Belfort

3.5 is out on the thread with the read me file  , The metroid construction one is still under review
a bit of change occured with missile and their cooldown , same for super and the number that could appear in one screen.
, Samus color on the white part got a bit polished , (no brown part) and a few custom GFX for items got made , like the beam for example.

Meinos Belfort

Update 11 September (WIP)

still working on it , mostly for vanilla game or ressources for others roms hack

Meinos Belfort

3.8 Is still in progress but it's more pushed further , Mua / King worm is going to be removed to make a variant of Arachnus in the same area , but making a fight a bit more tricky and he will be more bulky. and hard mode ...

(Edited Charge beam gfx too , making it less bigger and more reasonnable , however the hitbox of the Pseudo screw and released shot will be the same , it's only a visual changes)

Meinos Belfort

4.0 is out since THE 1ST ocbober 2022 , it will be the last update of 2022 , giving more time to myself for personnal stuff
if you have an issue in game please send me a DM if you Have discord At Meinos Belfort#1994 , mostly if you found a glitch

Version 4.0 and Read me for it is on the first post (and there too just in case https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=705)

Meinos Belfort

Metroid ES Mission is now on speedrun.com !

https://www.speedrun.com/metroid_es_mission
it was made mostly since ES is a more open and give way more possibility to move / do stuff on globality and i wanted to see how people share their run ^^

Meinos Belfort

Before you wonder , yes ES Mission 4.X is still a thing and i'm still working on it , way less because it is way more stable than the past version , and all i can think of was mostly done , however the newer version will be released early 2023 , Mostly tile / gfx editing with some fix in game or about logic a few people complained.

All early access will remain the same in most of way.
some enemies will have their color sligltly edited too be more fitting
same for some area.

I won't say all the change who's coming but even if it's multiple and a lot of little things , it will be almost as big as 3.5 to 4.0 transition , maybe bigger if i have more idea or free time i thought i would.

Meinos Belfort

So quick update about ES Mission 5.0 which was supposed to come the first January 2023

The release date is still supposed to be that one even if i'm not sure at 100% anymore since i'm remaking the space pirate mothership to be beatable with a meme reason "Why Metroid can't crawl" , and i'm still working on it.

i'm actually trying to detache of the original by making others room , some a few original and others replica you maybe already seen
in the past game.

I'm gonna say more in the future , hopefully i will keep the date to the 1st january if possible.