News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SM Tech Gauntlet (v1.1, updated May 31)

Started by liesandgasoline, May 30, 2022, 12:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liesandgasoline

Hey everyone! I made a quick thing. It's a short map with 20 rooms where each room tests your knowledge of a different speedrun/randomizer technique. I call it the Super Metroid Tech Gauntlet. I tried to make each room structured like a place where you actually would use that technique in the real game. The list of rooms/techniques are below. Can you beat it?

Let me know if you were able to cheese a room and I'll try to fix it. Also, there are some dev doors that I included for myself for ease of testing, for those tricks that I'm not consistent with. They're very well hidden, but I'll remove them in the final version. Don't forget to save the animals!

List of Rooms:
01: Basic Wall Jumps
02: Advanced Wall Jumps
03: Damage Boosting
04: Mockballs
05: Continuous Wall Jump
06: Hitbox Manipulation
07: Spring Ball Jump I (Water)
08: Spring Ball Jump II (Air)
09: Bounceball
10: Speed Booster Tech
11: Snail Climbing
12: Ice Clip
13: Bomb Jumps
14: Gate Glitch
15: Infinite Grapple Climbing
16: Lava Dive
17: Halfie
18: Gravity Jump
19: Ocean Fly
20: Spike Suit

Fixes in v1.1:
- Fixed softlock in room 4.
- Fixed respawning speed blocks in room 10.
- Removed horizontal bomb jump section. Will try to add it again maybe, but it's tough making a section where the only way across is hbj since you have so many other tools by room 13.
- Added one more block to the last speed section in room 10.
- Fixed save stations (hopefully).

(This is my first attempt at a hack so I'm hoping I got the technical side right.)

Law

Tried it for a while, learned that I don't know how to do CWJ. I did go out of my way to look it up, but I haven't nailed down the timing yet.

Every room up till that point was pretty good.

liesandgasoline

Thanks for playing! I am not consistent with CWJ either so I made sure to have both the in the door strat and the previous room strat possible.

caauyjdp

[spoiler=Some incoherrent ramblings/comments]
save from  7 loads you to 13
save from 15 loads you to 13
4 falling on top of recharge station morphed and letting crumbles reform = stuck
10 stopper inside between-respawning speed blocks = trap
not sure what was intended for ripper section of 13, i thikn i just jumped over? i'm certain i didn't bomb jump that section tho
speed section after speedball is a bit tight compared to other sections, but good job preventing clipping into morph tunnel to skip it
20 is not aligned on the map with the previous room. also, map doesn't save i think? there might have been something else that corrupted it, bit sure
escape, door to the left is unlocked, forcing you to redo everything(?) because door back is gray. maybe that's the way to animals tho

liked the design of 20 for giving you multiple options. floor spikes should maybe have been air spikes to properly emulate fireflea room, not sure if their collision is different enough to matter
somehow managed spike suit twice, which i wasn't and still unable to perform in practicehack

aproppriate practicehack infohud for rooms 10 and 20 would have been great addition if possible, but not a dealbreaker by anymeans

liked room names in the bg, liked snail gfx, not so much for other enemies
got to understand grapple jumping better, and learned oceanfly after looking it up

way back in 19 also allows going forward, not sure if it's a mistake or "dev door", didn't find other ones to compare.
[/spoiler]
useful minihack, ty for making it

Sickwood

Complete agreement with caauyjdp, fun little hack.  He mentioned all and more of things I noticed, especially the save station warp thing.  It's like a stripped down and straight to the point containment chamber, without all the connecting rooms.  It's fun just as is with only 20 rooms, but if you wanted to add more, why not.  The tech you selected was fun and escalated at a nice level, and overall mostly intermediate level stuff.  I'm glad you stayed away from the "2 tile high tunnel pose manipulation" puzzles, don't find them fun.  Great job, was a nice little surprise this morning.  19 IGT, 85%. 

liesandgasoline

Thank you both for the replies! Lots to fix and I'll get at it tonight.

I could not fix the enemy graphics so the enemies are weird and pink. I just rolled with it, but if anyone knows the fix let me know.

I thought I had the save stations sorted but back to the mid manual I go.

Thanks for playing!