News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hyper Metroid No Nakey Edition

Started by rpgillespie, March 20, 2022, 01:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpgillespie

This is a super simple patch for the awesome Hyper Metroid v1.00 (sha256 20eafde6a2f45ee0da9e71c212b375bb26e9c242b317cb5e60efd096d5d1bf53) that replaces the naked, nippled Samus death animation sprites with silhouetted versions of the same sprites. So... I suppose you could say this is a hack of a hack. This patch is applied directly to Hyper Metroid, not to Super Metroid.

"But why?"

This is for people who want to be able to play openly around parents, siblings, coworkers, kids, etc. without awkward confrontations arising after the NSFW death animation plays. If you still don't understand why someone would ever want this patch, this patch is not for you!

Screenshot of what the death animation silhouette looks like after the patch: https://imgur.com/a/hrrTAhC

Also, yes, this patch was created because of a real-life awkward confrontation - I had Hyper Metroid on my SNES Classic and was playing on a large TV in the living room, unaware of the NSFW death animation... an awkward conversation ensued with some people in the room after I died :P

rpgillespie

It looks like the original patch I uploaded sometimes makes the game freeze when you kill certain enemies. I think I may have accidentally modified non-sprite data. Here's another version of the patch that does the same thing (makes death animation a silouette) but I was more careful this time, and it doesn't cause freezes.