News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[M1] Junkoid

Started by P.Yoshi, February 23, 2022, 01:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Yoshi

JUNKOID
By P. Yoshi

Music by Mindflower
Saving Patch & Map Patch by Snarfblam
Made in Editroid 3.7

Jump into the dreams of Junko as she fights the very manifestations of her nightmares.

Junkoid is an NES Metroid hack with an entirely new map, new graphics and completely new soundtrack by Mindflower. The map is pretty open, allowing you to acquire powerups in a multitude of different orders - it should also be possible to complete the game with 0% item completion (However, I've never actually done it without save states). Difficulty-wise, I would say Junkoid is on the easier side of romhacks, with the average first playthrough being around 2-3 hours.

Manual: Click Here

Kyouken

I made an account just to reply to this thread.

This is the best Metroid 1 hack I've played, hands down. Close second is Rogue Dawn, but Junkoid is true to Metroid form. I beat it in under an hour with most of the items.

Spoilers because it's still pretty new.

I like the idea of [spoiler]hiding the item needed to destroy the Metroids hands behind the boss statues.[/spoiler] I thought this made a whole lot of sense concerning the endgame. Same concept as a needing to get a key to open a door like in the original, but executed better.

The fact that in what would be Norfair (Heart, I think?)[spoiler]backtracking was pretty much eliminated by the central column was good design![/spoiler]

In Labyrinth, after using the Wave Beam for a time, [spoiler]I saw some blocks that I had destroyed before, but couldn't get on that plane so I could shoot them. I knew the bombs must be close, and sure enough, found them and knew where to go back to.[/spoiler]

The little quality of life changes were appreciated, and the fact that you made it pretty open in getting from one place to another.

There's more to say, like the overall aesthetic coming together really nicely by the effort you put in, but those were what stuck out and impressed me. Also worth mentioning is the effort you put into the art here and in the manual you made! I'd definitely pick this up as an NES game.

I wanted to ask if you had the soundtrack available in an .NSF format? I'd totally listen to this outside the game. It'd make a good addition to my chiptune folder.

Good job, and thank you for sharing this!

P.Yoshi

Quote from: Kyouken on March 24, 2022, 05:22:26 PM
I wanted to ask if you had the soundtrack available in an .NSF format? I'd totally listen to this outside the game. It'd make a good addition to my chiptune folder.

This isn't .NSF, but Mindflower did make the songs available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/li8sr5vxyidek0x/Junkoid_OST_%25282022%2529.zip/file

By the way, thanks for playing Junkoid, your words are too kind. <3

DonnyDonovan

Are Varia suit and screw attack in the game?  Hint on where to look?  I have both beams and both bosses are dead.

Edit: Never mind I missed that there was a manual to read.

Edit2:  Good job with this.  Some of the graphical edits were really neat.  I always end up with slightly mixed feelings about M1 and it's hacks because of the limitations (can't shoot down, can't wall jump, can't midair morph, only height settings are morphed and unmorphed, etc.), but, nostalgia is always nice.

holofonoro

After years of lurking these forums, I decided to register after beating your hack. I really enjoyed the openness of the map, discovering every new area and the excellent music. It feels like a more personal and contained experience compared with Rogue Dawn, and the care put into every detail is very noticeable. Nice duration, great atmoshpere and a great map with secrets that felt satisfying to find but were not cheaply hidden. The custom cover and manual are the cherry on top of a fantastic hack. Thanks a lot and please keep making games and/or romhacking!

(Also, please upload the soundtrack to some streaming service like Soundcloud or Youtube!)

P.Yoshi

Junkoid 1.1 is done!

Changes:

• Added an RNG fix patch so hopping enemies now vary their jumps, tentacles should now always shoot fire and the Purple zone boss should be less of a pushover.

• Each zone now has one heart container. Added a new friend to accompany each heart container!

• Shuffled around most of the Baseball Containers. They should be slightly more hidden, there are less upgrades directly in your path.

• Redid the tiles for the main pillar room in the Heart zone.

• Adjusted the Heart zone's layout to stop people from getting stuck in a loop. Also changed some annoying enemy spawns in that zone.

• Adjusted the Purple zone's overall layout.

• Minor layout change in the Caves to shorten the long "S" hallway.

• Minor change to the trap room in the Trench.

• Completing the game in under 1 hour no longer gives you the pink-haired alternate sprite, but completing it in under 30m changes... something...

• Removed the hidden wall B&W healing rooms, some of those hidden rooms have been replaced with upgrades. The normal Healing Rooms still exist.

• Updated some sprites and tiles.

[spoiler=Old Map (1.0) (Spoilers)]
https://i.imgur.com/vZgr1f4.png
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=New Map (1.1) (Spoilers)]
https://i.imgur.com/i6uJY1Y.png
[/spoiler]

altoiddealer

Quote from: P.Yoshi on April 18, 2022, 03:44:28 PM
Junkoid 1.1 is done!

You should update link in the OP  :bounce:

eyyy I'm glad that I held out on playing the hack... I definitely need to play it now!

P.Yoshi

Quote from: altoiddealer on April 18, 2022, 08:27:19 PM
Quote from: P.Yoshi on April 18, 2022, 03:44:28 PM
Junkoid 1.1 is done!

You should update link in the OP  :bounce:

eyyy I'm glad that I held out on playing the hack... I definitely need to play it now!

Oh, I forgot about that! ty!

AuroraxPhilic

Oh... My... God. This is by far the best Metroid 1 hack... ever. This completely mops the floor with Rogue Dawn. All the ASM in the world could not save it from an atrocious map layout. Your hack brought so much enjoyment with no major asm changes. That says a lot about you. This even eeks out Beth which when I played that, was easily the best M1 hack. Is there a way I can contact you outside of the forums, like maybe discord? I'd like to talk about some stuff regarding this game.

P.Yoshi

Quote from: AuroraxPhilic on June 29, 2022, 02:44:58 PM

My name is Yoshi on the MetCon discord, but I don't post often. I think the link is on the main page.

Also, just for the record, Rogue Dawn is a work of art and Junkoid wouldn't exist without it.  🐧

RT-55J

I liked this hack enough that I decided to make a danidub/ambureon-style 1/8th scale map of it:

[spoiler=Map (massive spoilers, obviously)]

[/spoiler]

Go play Junkoid.

(If I make more M1 maps like this one, I'll make a dedicated thread/site for them.)

Kyouken

I've uploaded the OST to YouTube whilst giving proper credit to you and to Mindflower for the music. While I'm not a big YouTuber by any means (<150 subscribers,) hopefully both the hack and the OST get some more exposure because of it.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxTaaUuIOm_c3qdT3kHRwe31hevNPgzVq

Looking forward to whatever other works you put out!

RT-55J

Quote10 unavailable videos are hidden

No videos in this playlist yet

I think you need to un-private the videos in the playlist.

Kyouken

Quote from: RT-55J on May 12, 2023, 12:51:34 AM
Quote10 unavailable videos are hidden

No videos in this playlist yet

I think you need to un-private the videos in the playlist.

Thanks for the heads up! They're all published and public now~

Shauing

Created an account here just to give some praise to this Metroid NES hack.

This is the first Metroid hack that has grabbed me in a similar way to the original game, the level design is pretty well done as it really takes into account (in this case) Junko's skills as well as trying to balance out the frustrating gameplay aspects from the original game and make it a good but fair challenge.

Even going for 100% is neither a long or difficult ordeal, though would be nice to have some indication of a 100% completion.

Currently I'm doing some speedruns for this, going from 100% without the use of Up+A or screen wraps, to any% and probably some stuff more like New Game Plus. Other than the original game, I had never got any interest in doing speedruns of Metroid hacks until this one came along.

I want to really thank P. Yoshi for creating this awesome fresh air of Metroid NES and Mindflower for the subtle but very fitting soundtrack to this dark-dream adventure! Great job!!

RT-55J

Just so you know, now that you've made a post on the forums you are now eligible to write reviews on the main site.