News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Cryogenesis

Started by Onnyks, January 07, 2022, 11:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onnyks

Suspicious Space Pirate activity has been detected by the Galactic Federation in the remote Tog'Tassano system and Samus is sent to check it out. Discover the truth of what's going on and power yourself up in this frigid, hostile environment.

Super Metroid: Cryogenesis is a romhack created for a streaming contest. This is the contest version with cleanup fixes from what was seen when it was streamed. More is planned and being worked on to expand, however that doesn't mean this should feel half complete. A compact adventure awaits you with a focus on clean, thematic visuals and unique level design.

Screenshots:

WestlakeMath

Is it possible to get [spoiler]screw attack? I saw what appear to be screw attack blocks but couldn't find the upgrade.[/spoiler]

Green51

I don't quite understand how to use the [spoiler]hammer ball item[/spoiler]. What are the controls for it, and does it require any other items in order to use it? My current inventory is Ice, Charge, Wave, Hi-Jump, Spring Ball, Bombs, Grapple Beam, and both missile types.

WestlakeMath

Quote from: Green51 on January 10, 2022, 09:57:08 PM
I don't quite understand how to use the [spoiler]hammer ball item[/spoiler]. What are the controls for it, and does it require any other items in order to use it? My current inventory is Ice, Charge, Wave, Hi-Jump, Spring Ball, Bombs, Grapple Beam, and both missile types.

To use it [spoiler]do a spring ball jump. while in the air, hold the down button and then press the L button.[/spoiler]

Green51

It doesn't work. I wonder if it's because I swapped L and R in the options? Edit: still doesn't work.  :sad:

Onnyks

Quote from: Green51 on January 10, 2022, 10:20:49 PM
It doesn't work. I wonder if it's because I swapped L and R in the options? Edit: still doesn't work.  :sad:

I can swap L and R and the control works with either. You must be morphed midair, hold down and press L. Spring ball is not required.

Quote from: WestlakeMath on January 10, 2022, 09:54:55 PM
Is it possible to get [spoiler]screw attack? I saw what appear to be screw attack blocks but couldn't find the upgrade.[/spoiler]

It's in the game.

Green51

Guess I'm just softlocked then. Oh well. I'll try again tomorrow or something.

SMKJ

Cool hack so far, looking forward to the "dlc".
don't know if this bug is known but:
[spoiler]a certain transition (not sure which one) in those rooms with springball caused the game to become glitched, saving and reset the game fixed it though. [/spoiler]

Green51

Is the meteorite intended to show up in inventory? because it doesn't do that either. Went back and got [spoiler]Deep Suit[/spoiler] and that didn't make it work. I have no idea what's wrong.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: Green51 on January 11, 2022, 12:27:40 PM
Is the meteorite intended to show up in inventory? because it doesn't do that either. Went back and got [spoiler]Deep Suit[/spoiler] and that didn't make it work. I have no idea what's wrong.
its not in inventory.
you need to press down and L while in midair with the morphball (i.e. with springball) and you'll do the move

WestlakeMath

Will someone please tell me where [spoiler]screw attack[/spoiler] is?

Right now I just want the zone (Urdant, Teranul, etc), not the specific location in the zone. Thanks in advance!

WestlakeMath

Quote from: Onnyks on January 11, 2022, 10:59:27 PM
Void Engine
Oh geez. That's not even hidden (although I got it through then hidden route).

DonnyDonovan

I have morph, grapple, bombs, a few tanks, like 35 missiles, and I just got spring ball.  How do I get out of the area I'm in?  The SB room seems to require screw attack and the other room (with the big statue thing) I fell through crumble blocks to get in there.  I'm sure I am missing something dumb but I can't see how to get out of the area I'm in. 

Onnyks

The springball maze should lead to another required item, which will get you out. I just threw in a screw attack block to make late game cleanup less obnoxious.

DonnyDonovan

Oh good lord how did I miss the maze?  All good again.  I swear I had been everywhere in that room but I guess not up to that corner.  I am dumb.

shaba

awesome hack, love the attention to detail in your sprites

Green51

Meteorite just does not work for me? is there anyone else that has had a similar problem? I just want to be able to finish this hack.  :cry:

Sickwood

Quote from: Green51 on January 14, 2022, 02:40:18 PM
Meteorite just does not work for me? is there anyone else that has had a similar problem? I just want to be able to finish this hack.  :cry:

It works great. Here's the easiest way to do it:

1. Be in ball form
2. Press and hold down
3. Activate a Springball jump with your jump button
4. Press "L" while in midair
5. Enjoy rest of hack

Onnyks

I wish I knew how to help with this Green51, the only thing I can think is that a different emulator somehow doesn't work with it. I did all of my playing and testing on Snes9x, what are you playing on?

Steel Sparkle

This was a fantastic hack, excellent job.
Had a lot of fun exploring and beating this one.

DonnyDonovan

Yes, just to echo Steel Sparkle, some of the ideas and puzzles in this game are amazing.  I hope it does keep getting expanded upon because holy hell this is incredible. 

Edit:  I beat this with 70.6% of items.  Out of curiosity what are the maxes?

Also I never found [spoiler]spazer or plasma[/spoiler] Are they in the game?

Green51

I've been playing on bsnes, but I'll see if I can swap my save over to snes9x and try again.

Onnyks

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 14, 2022, 11:30:31 PM
Yes, just to echo Steel Sparkle, some of the ideas and puzzles in this game are amazing.  I hope it does keep getting expanded upon because holy hell this is incredible. 

Edit:  I beat this with 70.6% of items.  Out of curiosity what are the maxes?

Also I never found [spoiler]spazer or plasma[/spoiler] Are they in the game?

Well there's a patch to scale it to read 100% items, but I forget what the details of each max upgrade is, if that's what you're wondering.

And in answer to your next question, yes, then no.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: Green51 on January 15, 2022, 01:21:18 PM
I've been playing on bsnes, but I'll see if I can swap my save over to snes9x and try again.
it worked perfectly on snes9x so yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-Olr9rJc0
sorry for the screwed up graphics just pulled it off the test room