News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MFOR - Metroid Fusion Open Randomizer

Started by Kazuto, June 20, 2021, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazuto

Link to the Current Release, v2024.02.10

How to use: Download MFOR from the link above, and unzip it somewhere on your Windows PC. Run the .exe file to launch the randomizer window, then choose some options for the randomized game. Click Generate. A new window will pop up, asking you to point to an unmodified copy of the original game. This must be a USA/Australia copy of the game, as MFOR does not currently support any other versions of Metroid Fusion. When you choose an original copy of the game from the file selector and press OK, the randomizer will start generating a new game. When it's finished, it'll add the modified game to the seeds folder in the same folder as the .exe file, and will also add a spoiler log to the spoilers folder (unless you generate a seed for racing).

There are no known logic issues with the current release! If you encounter any unbeatable seeds, please post the spoiler log for me to investigate.

Please see the included Readme/changelog for what's new in this release. As always, be sure to post bugs, feedback, ideas, etc. here in the thread.

Kazuto

Update: Windows Defender may block the randomizer for being a "Trojan" (I assure you, it is not).

Most likely, this will exhibit as "'MFOR.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." This is because Defender quarantined the program.

To allow it through the Firewall, open Windows Defender, go under Firewall & network protection, click "Allow an app through firewall," then click Change settings, and Add another app. You might need to re-download the program, because it might've deleted it.

Lenophis

Alternatively, if you can specify the -rom argument and filename.

Like so:

mfor -r fusion.gba

But like most command-line programs, it must be in the executable's folder if you don't specify a full path to it. Happy hunting!

0m3g45n1p3r4lph4

I'm rather unfamiliar with command line applications and unfortunately am having some trouble setting this up. I'm getting the error as follows upon launching 'MFOR Full Rando.bat'

'MFOR.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

This might just be me missing a setup step somewhere but I can't figure out what it'd be beyond a file missing from the download

FrenchLightningJohn

it is finally here, he who does the impossible has granted us the ability to randomize fusion, you are a hero kaz ty

Lucky Dearly

been having problems with running the randomizer. it keeps telling me I don't have the base rom when I already have one. I'm not sure what else to do.

nodever2

Congrats on releasing this Kazz! I am really excited to play this soon, looks super fun  :yay:

RT-55J

Quote from: Lucky Dearly on June 20, 2021, 11:08:46 PM
been having problems with running the randomizer. it keeps telling me I don't have the base rom when I already have one. I'm not sure what else to do.

put the rom in the "data" subfolder and make sure it is named exactly "Metroid Fusion (U).gba"

AkumaGath17

There is a scroll bug on Sector 6 https://gyazo.com/1b0210a5ea5655b0b8f06283269cb6d0 , either way it fixes while going after the bomb block

Golden Epsilon

So, uhh... I tried out the randomizer, and I'm already stuck.

My first upgrade was missiles, and the first boss had Gravity Suit. I don't know of any areas I can access with only missiles, and with gravity suit I get stuck in the boss room.

Difficulty 0, Seed: Geruta Recharge Evir Morph (used Major-Minor bat file)

Are there any tricks/features I'm missing, or should I generate a new run?

Update: Morph Ball was in the hidden energy tank spot before the boss. I didn't realize energy tanks counted for major/minor, huh

MetroidMst

Sounds like you didn't get the item in the ceiling right between the ETank location and Arachnus, which is probably a form of ball.

consumingimpulse

this is cool, thanx. i'm halfway done with my first run and haven't got stuck yet (well I have, but only because I haven't played this in a long while).

does adam already give you hints or will those be added in the future? i can talk to him but I'm either too dumb to get it or I only get a placeholder message ("this will be hint 4 one day" or smth).

Laginium

So I've played through a bit of the rando and have gotten stuck because i decided to save in an area that I either cant get out of or don't know how to get out of.
Seed: Serris Choot Sidehopper Golden
Its a full rando
Not sure of the difficulty.
Im in the bottom of sector 1 where theres an elevator leading to the restricted area and a save room.
Items:
599 health(5 E-Tanks), 20 missiles, Diffusion missiles, wave beam, morph ball, speed boosters, screw attack, and lvl 1 doors unlocked.

UD: I have concluded that I am stuck and will probably have to start over, unless i can figure out to get cheat codes working

AzureKindred

Think I found an impossible seed or at least one that seems like it.
Fully Randomized Hash: Ice Serris Waver Reo Seed: 5094223575204131309

Can't find the missile data, spoiler log says they are in sector 2 but I have gotten all the items in the sector that don't require boss fights or screw attack. Log also says screw attack is on a boss so...

RT-55J

I ran into a similar scrolling glitch in Sector 1 in the post Charge Beam room. It happens if you have the Wave Beam and decide to backdoor that room. The glitch resolves itself when you break the relevant blocks.

Rossolon

it just dawned on me for version 1.0 you need to make it to where a power bomb tank instantly gives you access to power bombs so runners wont have to skip them until they find the power bomb data represented by a question mark its just the download wont disappear when you get the power bombs through a power bomb tank, missile tanks should do the same thing give you missiles without having to find the missile data. another thing i would like is that the diffusion missiles actually make the missiles do more damage. basically what im saying is the diffusion missiles would be like a charge beam but for missiles to put it in a nutshell.

AzureKindred

Question about the spoiler log, you read it like "Item name", Location: , right? Cause if it is then I read the log wrong the first time, the seed I found is quite literally impossible as missiles is on a core x boss

"IceBeam", "Item S2-05-0A": "WaveBeam", "Item S2-05-08": "MainMissiles", "Arachnus": "VariaSuit", "Item S3-03-04": "ChargeBeam", "Item S0-18-06": "SpeedBooster",

Kazuto

Quote from: AzureKindred on June 22, 2021, 04:29:24 PM
Question about the spoiler log, you read it like "Item name", Location: , right? Cause if it is then I read the log wrong the first time, the seed I found is quite literally impossible as missiles is on a core x boss

"IceBeam", "Item S2-05-0A": "WaveBeam", "Item S2-05-08": "MainMissiles", "Arachnus": "VariaSuit", "Item S3-03-04": "ChargeBeam", "Item S0-18-06": "SpeedBooster",
You read it correctly the first time, as missiles can't be on bosses - they all have it as a requirement. However, the crystalized Zoros in Sector 2 are preventing you from getting main missiles, meaning this seed is indeed impossible. Fortunately the first one I've seen with that issue, but I already knew something needed to be done with them, anyway.

Laginium

Both the seeds I've tried so far have had missles as the first item.

c4da

Any plans on making this open source/throwing it on GitHub? I would love to help out with user interface/distribution.

timmifutz

Am I meant to take the "item order" literally? As in, you can obtain any item on this list with ONLY the items preceding it?
If yes:

"Data S0": "MainMissiles",
"Item S0-18-06": "MorphBall",
"Data S2": "DiffusionItem",
"Charge Core-X": "VariaSuit",
"Item S1-0D-02": "Bombs",
"Item S2-0C-0B": "SpaceJump",
"Item S2-0C-04": "SpeedBooster",
"Item S4-09-02": "GravitySuit",
"Item S6-06-08": "SuperMissileItem",

My friends and I are not sure how to get into Sector 6 proper without Screw Attack, Super Missiles or Power Bombs. The seed I think was still possible though, as power bombs are gettable, but they appear way later in the list :)

(Using the minor/major .bat file that came with the rando, so easiest logic)

Pelador

Be sure to have either wave beam or the red doors unlocked before taking on Ridley. Otherwise you're stuck.

When fighting security robot, make sure to have plenty of missiles if you don't yet have supers or charge beam because if you run out, there are no refills.

Laginium

For ridleys area you need, if you're entering the back way, screw attack, bombs, power bomb, space jump and wave beam,  ball jump is useful as well since one item is a softlock if you dont have it.
If you dont have wave beam, space jump and screw attack don't save in ridleys area as you'd be stuck.

gr8tmaker

Hey Kazuto, need help on opening this Fusion Rando, when i click on the exe file to open it, it opens as Command Prompt and then it closes, even if clicking it as Admin it does the same, it didn't give errors as it crashed or something "went wrong", it just doesn't open for me at all.