News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MFOR - Metroid Fusion Open Randomizer

Started by Kazuto, June 20, 2021, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotheroriginalsoul1234

So I came across a bit of a soft lock, i will be using maps provided to help specify the location. I am also not sure if this pointed out already.
On the main station, of room E-07, the room before the entrance to the elevator to save the animals. If the power bomb is placed there, the blockade creature Geron(Teal variant that requires powerbomb to kill), will spawn outside the room. The player will be stuck and there is no way to enter morph ball and use the power bomb. I have tried exiting as the morph ball and even then I could not use the power bomb. The odds of this happening is low, maybe, but if this happens it will kill runs. I have not tried if exiting in the screw attack would work, but even then I believe this is a risk not worth having sit by, its basically a potential run killer.
I will attach the seed and save state of the moment and maybe even a couple pictures of this happening.
Game is too big to fit into a zip, so let me know if I should email it to you.
I hope this helps and if anyone had come across this issue, I love to know what your solution was.

MrMetroidDread

Edit: After starting a new seed I found that location for "Item S3-06-06" doesn't require power bombs, it the hidden floor can be destroyed with beams or any weapon.

I think I have an impossible seed. 8551700422453081633

I have acquired Ice missile, Charge beam, Morph ball, High Jump, and Speed Booster.

The next item to get according to the spoiler log is Bombs which is located in "Item S3-06-06".

If I'm not mistaken that requires Power Bombs to get there and spoiler long says Main Power Bombs are located in Item "S0-0E-0B" and if I'm not mistaken that too requires Power Bombs to get.

Everything_Louder

really love this, been playing it none stop every day! Amazing work!! Is it possible to 100% though? Because you go to the same data station twice in sector 5 (Ice missiles and power bombs I think) in the normal game right? But here you can only use it once? I also don't know how possible it would be but i'd add two things- the base game just without Adam with everything where it normally would be and the ability to turn power ups off and on. But again, I love this hack it is really well done and I haven't come across any issues! Thank you for making this!
Edit: also maybe I am missing something but how does the hint system work? Not that I have ever needed to use them just curious

RT-55J

The max% is currently 98%, because of the Sector 5 data room as you mentioned, as well as the ice beam being added to the item pool (with the Omega fight only giving you the Plot Beam/Armor now).

The hint system is currently not implemented, but it appears that it would be used by talking to Adam at a navigation room.

gr8tmaker

Hello Kazuto, found a bugged seed {"Seed": "8143769706544048043", the settings are normal or persay "default", the bug is picking up "MainMissiles", in this seed they were in s3 in the long hall way to speed boost to get the top area(next room to the left is the entance to the sector), that is not correct, because the MainMissiles are supposed to be in S6 "Item S6-06-08": "MainMissiles" not s3 so the log from the "Spoilers" folder is bugged as well,anyway, after getting said main missiles tried to use them find out i don't have at all, check the pics.

Scherezad

Found a non-completable seed.

Within, the following are all locked behind each other in some manner:
- Screw Attack is in S6-06-08. Unless I'm mistaken, this item cannot be gotten without softlocking unless you have Power Bombs.
- Plasma Beam is in S4-06-0E. This location is locked behind Power Bombs or Wave+Charge. Charge is attainable in this seed, but...
- Wave Beam is in S1-03-0A. This location requires Diffusion, in addition to either Screw Attack, or PB+Speed Booster. Diffusion and Speed are attainable in this seed.
- Power Bombs is at Ridley. This location requires either Screw Attack, or Power Bombs, Speed Booster, and Charge Beam, if I recall correctly. Charge and Speed are attainable.

In short, Screw, Plasma, Wave, and PB are all locked behind each other.

Attaching the spoiler log for double-checking.

Edit: Turns out I was entirely mistaken, and this seed is completable. That shinespark to get out from where Screw Attack was... not something I intuited.

caauyjdp

Quote from: Scherezad on August 09, 2021, 05:18:18 AM
- Screw Attack is in S6-06-08. Unless I'm mistaken, this item cannot be gotten without softlocking unless you have Power Bombs.
After collecting screw, don't go down. Turn around and go back the way you came from.
There's enough space to build and store speed down there, then get to the upper level to spark through speed blocks even without movement items or varia.

MrMetroidDread

Edit:

Didn't look at the "Read Me" file saying that High jump or space jump is required to face the SA-X.

* Hi-Jump or Space Jump are currently REQUIRED for the SA-X fight, as you need a logical way to get to the Red door in the room.

Seed # "6011697284230761321"

OK so I think I came across a bug, glitch or however you want to call it, but the first dialogue states that the requirements needed to face the SA-X are Missiles, Charge Beam, Plasma Beam, and Unlock Level 4 Locks.

I think what needed to be added to that list is either High Jump Boots or Space Jump.

So after going into the underwater section of Sector 4 and unlocking Level 4 Locks, because I didn't have Space Jump I couldn't Shinespark to the secret message route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N025nnrcGrc

And because I didn't have Screwattack I couldn't go though the Screwattack blocks in "Item S4-07-08", so I had to take the normal route.

I didn't have Wave Beam or Diffusion Missile to go through the room freezing the Powamp's after downloading Diffusion Missile Data room, thankfully I as able to take the secret message alternative way, Wide Beam with Ice Beam made it very easy to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RwyfQ9Ocg

I had the following powerups:

Charge, Wide, Plasma, Ice Beams. 

Missiles Launcher, Super Missile, Ice Missile.

Bombs and Power Bombs.

Varia, Gravity Suits.

Morph Ball, Speed Booster.

After reaching the room before the Operations Room, all doors were not locked and the Operations Room could not be reached because I didn't have High Jump Boots or Space Jump to reach it.

After looking around I found Screwattack and because of that I was able to wall jump, so I went back to the Operations Room and all doors were still unlocked, I could enter the Operations Room, but the platform could not be activated.

I searched again and I eventually found High Jump Boots and when I returned to the Operations Room all doors were locked and the fight sequence of the SA-X finally happened and was able to finish the game.

I made a save state before I found High Jump Boots, I skipped the upgrade, searched and eventually found Space Jump, returned to the Operations Room all doors were locked and the fight sequence of the SA-X finally happened and was able to finish the game.

So on the list of items needed to finish the game, High Jump Boots or Space Jump are mandatory to reach the Operations Room and begin the fight sequence with the SA-X.

gr8tmaker

will there any fixes to MFOR since i had a "techy" with my pc which i had to revert to Win7 from Win10, and 'cuz of this issue i cannot make any seeds whatsoever, i have also various versions of the Metroid Fusion roms they are all good, it just doesn't let me make any rando roms at all.Also, would you mind adding the newer version of Metroid Fusion SE instead of the regular rom, SE has more freedom in the sense of movement and it adds more "jazz" , than the vanilla rom too, please consider doing that, it would be cool.

Paulinho

Is it possible to apply the randomizer patch to a fusion rom and play it on GBA emulators normally? I want to play on the GBA emulator in PSP

herculesbenchpress

Quote from: gr8tmaker on August 24, 2021, 02:23:40 PM
Also, would you mind adding the newer version of Metroid Fusion SE instead of the regular rom, SE has more freedom in the sense of movement and it adds more "jazz" , than the vanilla rom too, please consider doing that, it would be cool.

I played the "Special Edition" and was pretty turned off by the...improvements...made to the vanilla game to be quite honest. I feel like adding an option to potentially have SWJ on from the start would be interesting, and should and likely will be added, instead of only having it be accessible while having screw w/o space. IBJ I feel like is made too big a deal of in Fusion, and would actually take away from the experience a bit since it'd render a number of major upgrades useless. Personally I feel like a lot of what SE did, was attempt to fix things that weren't broken (not to mention the fact that the 3.2 version isn't beatable as you get locked into the BOX room in Sector 3 with the doors not working.), like getting full movement speed from the smallest spin jump from standing still, the removal of the crimson boarder around the blocks (why?) and the map just looking awkward without the map tiles being uniformly the same. I feel like those could be interesting if implemented into a separate hack, as opposed to just adding it in the vanilla game though. One that is designed around these features. I feel like it'd be more beneficial to the randomizer as a whole to focus on get more tricks implemented at different difficulty levels, so they actually mean something besides just the starting items and 1 trick, developing a UI, fixing logic issues and making the randomizer more accessible instead of just being on Windows 10; before looking into adding and fixing someone else's work. It'd be nice to have the ability to use it as a option for those that want it in the future, but making that the base experience would likely turn some people off in my honest opinion.

Lostglaceon

Have to agree with the above reply. Changes like that are subjective, so while I understand having MFSE as another option, replacing vanilla Fusion with it would be a very bad idea. It'd probably be easier for Kaz to implement options the features you like, rather than going as far to replace the base file itself.

FelixWright

Quote from: herculesbenchpress on August 29, 2021, 11:02:16 AM
Personally I feel like a lot of what SE did, was attempt to fix things that weren't broken.
[...]
the removal of the crimson boarder around the blocks (why?)
They weren't removed, just recolored, but Why not? maroon outlines look bad. Everyone and their mom has an emulator or backlit console so there is no benefit gained from keeping the outlines in anymore. The GBAtroids have fundamentally different art styles and it exists in both so it's not an aesthetic decision either. It's just a bad one. They're the whole reason you see people going crazy importing custom tilesets, instead of manipulating the vanilla tiles into something cool, like super metroid vitality did. You can't mix and match or rearrange vanilla tiles without breaking the outline which looks awful.

IBJ I feel like is made too big a deal of in Fusion, and would actually take away from the experience a bit since it'd render a number of major upgrades useless.
Hi jump, space jump and speedbooster are not going to get dethroned by IBJ. IBJ is still slower and more difficult than all of those options.

and the map just looking awkward without the map tiles being uniformly the same.
I get where you're coming from when map tiles don't connect together, but I appreciate the extra detail. Like when you're trying to remember a specific room but forget where it is, this makes it easier to remember. Also the added transparency of the tiles gives some much needed screen real estate in an otherwise blocked off corner of the screen.

I feel like it'd be more beneficial to the randomizer as a whole to focus on
[...]
before looking into adding and fixing someone else's work.
[...]
making that the base experience would likely turn some people off in my honest opinion.
It's an innocent request that's not going to get any traction. Unless the author of special edition themselves makes their hack compatible with the randomizer, or make a fork of the randomizer to work with their hack (it's called Metroid Fusion Open Randomizer after all) The rando will not support this hack, let alone replace vanilla with it. Seriously this was a waste of time. Talk to the hack author about this, don't talk shit behind their back

Valiant99

Was watching GDQ and just found out this existed, just started my first run. Thank you so much for all the hard work on this! This is fantastic!!

Felix Franz

Hello, I'm a bit new here, but I noticed that no one in this board has made or posted a tracker map. I am by no means talented at making these kinds of things, but I know a bit of excel and put together a simple color coded sheet.

It is an excel sheet with as good of a cell based map as I could manage. I don't know if the sheet works in Google Sheets, as I have only opened and edited it in excel.
The map has colored boxes around all the locations that have a requirement blocked by a major item. To use the tracker, you put either 0 or 1 to indicate if you got the major item. With my limited knowledge on excel programming I wasn't able to add multiple conditions for removing these requirements, so I have just included the ones that I think are most important (from my few randomized runs).

There are probably quite a few mistakes in what areas can be traversed especially when you add in some tricks to more easily traverse the map, but I went in with a newbie mindset for location requirements. I was originally going to add suit requirements (Varia and Gravity), but found that this wasn't that important of a condition to add since the areas that need the suits are extremely obvious (don't go to sector 5 without varia if you don't want to frozen etc) and would clutter the map requirements quite a bit.

This is still a work in progress, though I will only be updating at my leisure. However, by all means, take it apart, edit it, share it, make it into something new. Do what you will with it, I just wanted to add this into the mix to help out a little bit for new players and maybe light the spark for a better map tracker. I don't care about being credited or anything like that, just have fun.

Wintar

Quote from: MrMetroidDread on August 11, 2021, 10:23:47 PM
Edit:

Didn't look at the "Read Me" file saying that High jump or space jump is required to face the SA-X.

* Hi-Jump or Space Jump are currently REQUIRED for the SA-X fight, as you need a logical way to get to the Red door in the room.

So on the list of items needed to finish the game, High Jump Boots or Space Jump are mandatory to reach the Operations Room and begin the fight sequence with the SA-X.

Considering that Screw Attack lets you get to the door via single-wall walljumps, I think it should also be part of the OR requirement here. Just played a seed where the last two items were Hi-Jump and Space Jump, and I had Screw Attack for about half the run, so I was confused at first. Still fun to play a Fusion Randomizer after so long, though.

Squaddy

I've encountered an odd seed that I thought y'all might find interesting, Seed#7062141623019786300.

This seed is technically beatable, but power bombs are unobtainable in it.  They're found in the 2nd BOX fight in sector 6, which you need power bombs to access:

"Item order": [
"Item S2-0C-04": "WideBeam",
"Box-2": "MainPowerBombs",
"Item S0-15-10": "PlasmaBeam",
]

herculesbenchpress

Felix, if you download emotracker, someone has already made a map tracker that can be used by anyone that installs the package through the emotracker app.

herculesbenchpress

Quote from: Wintar on September 16, 2021, 05:58:45 AM
Quote from: MrMetroidDread on August 11, 2021, 10:23:47 PM
Edit:

Considering that Screw Attack lets you get to the door via single-wall walljumps, I think it should also be part of the OR requirement here. Just played a seed where the last two items were Hi-Jump and Space Jump, and I had Screw Attack for about half the run, so I was confused at first. Still fun to play a Fusion Randomizer after so long, though.

This is already planned to be the case for the next release for what it's worth.

Kazuto

New version release! Check the first post for the download link. Enjoy!

Edit: A known issue has already surfaced: the GUI is not generating random seed values when the field is left blank. Whoops! Keep an eye out for a hotfix release tomorrow to address that. For now, just type something random in the seed field.

elebits360

Made an account just to say this. This rando is really fun and great, but after getting the latest version and after playing a seed, I figured out the spoiler log was saying the Gravity Suit was in the wrong spot.
Log says the Gravity Suit was in "Item S2-09-05", when it was really in S2-09-03. Other than that single bug it worked out pretty well.

Strokend

Under the settings Main Missile Required, Full Randomization, and Split Security Levels, seed 11661661:
I first went up to the data center on the bridge, where I got Morphball, which allowed me to enter the elevator zone. I then went down into Sector 2 and got what I could. Energy tank, bombs, wide beam... unfortunately, as I progressed past the small leaping red slugs, I found out I couldn't turn back. I would have to get missiles to enter the boss door, and I need High Jump to get back the way I came from.

Edit: I guess it's a problem with the Main Missile requirement. I started a new file on the same seed and High Jump was found through an alternate path in Sector 2, so I could have gotten wide beam still, but that still wouldn't help any going through Sector 4. Once you jump in, you can't get back out, and I still didn't have Main Missile, just missile expansions. Any areas I can find in the electrocuted water seem to only open up to Speed Booster.