News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MFOR - Metroid Fusion Open Randomizer

Started by Kazuto, June 20, 2021, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokedude14

I'm not sure what to do. I used the default settings for a full rando, and the logic in the spoiler log is:

"Data S0": "MorphBall",
"Data S2": "VariaSuit",
"Item S3-03-04": "SpeedBooster",
"Item S2-04-03": "Bombs"

I got the speedbooster, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to charge up a shinespark before entering to get the bombs (assuming that can kill the tower things in the room).

Danozuke

Quote from: pokedude14 on October 25, 2021, 03:23:21 AM
I'm not sure what to do. I used the default settings for a full rando, and the logic in the spoiler log is:

"Data S0": "MorphBall",
"Data S2": "VariaSuit",
"Item S3-03-04": "SpeedBooster",
"Item S2-04-03": "Bombs"

I got the speedbooster, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to charge up a shinespark before entering to get the bombs (assuming that can kill the tower things in the room).

You have to charge the shinespark from the save room and store it after you exit the recharge room. Quickly, drop down without hitting the zoro, go left open the door and release the shinespark going left. It will destroy the kago (the tower).

Danozuke

I think I may have found an impossible seed. This is the spoiler log:

"Seed": "3871685554080387413", "Settings": {"Item pool": "Full randomization", "Difficulty": 2, "Allow logical damage runs": true, "Missiles require main launcher": true, "Power Bombs require mains": true, "Power Bombs require normal Bombs": true, "Single wall jump": false, "Infinite Bomb jumping": false, "Separated security levels": false, "Split Varia/Gravity features": false, "E-Tanks": 20, "Missile Tanks": 46, "Power Bomb Tanks": 32}, "Item order": {"Data S0": "MainMissiles", "Item S0-13-07": "MorphBall", "Item S1-06-03": "ScrewAttack", "Data S2": "VariaSuit", "Item S3-00-05": "HiJumpBoots", "Arachnus": "SuperMissileItem", "Item S4-0F-06": "GravitySuit", "Item S1-0D-08": "SpeedBooster", "Data S5": "IceBeam", "Item S3-14-03": "ChargeBeam", "Varia Core-X": "Bombs"...

I don't know if I'm missing some way to clip into the S3 lock room, but the only way to get there is with bombs. However bombs were at Varia Core-X which requires green locks opened.

Anyways, thanks for the randomizer and keep up the good work.

elebits360

Quote from: Danozuke on October 28, 2021, 12:18:03 AM
I think I may have found an impossible seed. This is the spoiler log:

"Seed": "3871685554080387413", "Settings": {"Item pool": "Full randomization", "Difficulty": 2, "Allow logical damage runs": true, "Missiles require main launcher": true, "Power Bombs require mains": true, "Power Bombs require normal Bombs": true, "Single wall jump": false, "Infinite Bomb jumping": false, "Separated security levels": false, "Split Varia/Gravity features": false, "E-Tanks": 20, "Missile Tanks": 46, "Power Bomb Tanks": 32}, "Item order": {"Data S0": "MainMissiles", "Item S0-13-07": "MorphBall", "Item S1-06-03": "ScrewAttack", "Data S2": "VariaSuit", "Item S3-00-05": "HiJumpBoots", "Arachnus": "SuperMissileItem", "Item S4-0F-06": "GravitySuit", "Item S1-0D-08": "SpeedBooster", "Data S5": "IceBeam", "Item S3-14-03": "ChargeBeam", "Varia Core-X": "Bombs"...

I don't know if I'm missing some way to clip into the S3 lock room, but the only way to get there is with bombs. However bombs were at Varia Core-X which requires green locks opened.

Anyways, thanks for the randomizer and keep up the good work.
I could be wrong but couldn't you unlock level 4 locks by getting into sector 5 via the sector 3 shortcut, and then from there you just head to the Level 4 lock room. Screw attack works as a psuedo bomb allowing you to break most of the path to the lock room.

The T

I've found a potential issue with Item S1-09-04 (the energy tank above the Chozo Statue boss). If you have acquired the Ice Beam, there doesn't seem to be a way to get the Shinespark going, because those enemies get frozen instead of killed. (I could be totally wrong, if Plasma+Ice will get through them, or some other combination). I checked my spoiler there and the item there isn't important, but I figured I'd bring it up just to make sure it isn't a potential softlock in the future!

Rendood

Hi, everyone!

Do we have any news on potential Windows 7 compatibility for the Fusion rando? I read some time ago that a Win 7 version might be in the works. Obviously you guys should focus on whatever's best for the project, I'm just curious.

Thanks and congrats!

Kazuto

Quote from: Karma on October 22, 2021, 03:02:45 PM
I'm disappointed in the lack of a README file. After scrolling through the pages of replies posted here, I can't find any instructions on how to generate a randomized game properly. I really hope the next version will be more clear about what to do and where files get created.

Everything in the GUI has a tooltip associated with it, so I didn't think copying over the Readme that was written for the CLI version would have been very helpful. However, I can change the output message to state where the generated game has been saved.

Beyond that, the usage instructions are just, run the program, check the options you want to enable, click Generate, then a new window will pop up asking you to point to an original copy of the game. The randomizer will make a copy of it and patch it with the randomized data, then save that game into the Seeds folder (which it'll create if needed). A spoiler directory will also be made, and it will contain the data for where everything was placed in that game.

Quote from: GB-CG on October 24, 2021, 07:35:19 PM
I may came across a bugged seed: 8144461926006685530 on v0.9.7.

The Plasma beam is behind a Pbomb block in sector 4. The Pbomb data is on Box 2...behind a Pbomb wall. Unless I overlooked something in sector 6, I'm stumped.

You are correct: this seed is bugged. Someone else reported a similar instance earlier tonight, and I took another look at the logic: the routing for the space tube room is backwards. Logic thinks you can go top-to-bottom in that room instead of bottom-to-top. It'll be fixed for a release beyond 0.9.7.

Quote from: Rendood on October 31, 2021, 02:13:44 PM
Hi, everyone!

Do we have any news on potential Windows 7 compatibility for the Fusion rando? I read some time ago that a Win 7 version might be in the works. Obviously you guys should focus on whatever's best for the project, I'm just curious.

Thanks and congrats!

Not to be a stickler, but if you'd read the first post, you'd have seen that Windows 7 compatibility is already a thing. That was added as of the randomizer being given a GUI.

Plokster

Found a impossible seed

Difficulty: 5 all options selected seed is: Geemer_Kihunter_Yameba_Zozoro

zazabi is power bombs but missiles are locked behind a power bomb block

Kazuto

Quote from: Plokster on November 02, 2021, 07:33:14 PM
Found a impossible seed

Difficulty: 5 all options selected seed is: Geemer_Kihunter_Yameba_Zozoro

zazabi is power bombs but missiles are locked behind a power bomb block

Can you specify where Missiles actually are? Alternatively, post a spoiler log?

Plokster

I'm sorry there's no spoiler log due to playing with race mode on and base missiles were in sector 4
right here to be exact https://prnt.sc/1y9djk0

TauAkiou

I've been enjoying the heck out of this randomizer - I didn't even think that Fusion could be broken down and randomized like this, but here it is.

There's one bug in particular that annoys the heck out of me more then it probably should, though, and it appears to involve BOX-2. Essentially, after fighting BOX-2 on any playthrough, every room in the game will use its music, permanently, barring any other events (escape, boss music, etc.) Since BOX-2 is usually fought towards the end of a run, the musical shift is more of an annoyance. (It would probably be more tolerable if it wasn't for Fusion's excellent musical design in the other zones.)

Secondly, what exactly is the difference between difficulty levels? What new tricks become necessary to progress, or is that something better off discovering for myself?

Rendood

I finished the rando on difficulty 2, full randomizer.

It was very cool, grats on a fantastic job. Like the poster above, I was in awe at how broken this game can be made, which makes me even more mad at Nintendo for making Fusion so linear in the first place, haha.

I'm not nearly as familiar with Fusion's map as Super Metroid's, so a few items got me stumped. I didn't find Charge Beam until the very end and it was in a super early location in Sector 3. And Super Missiles appeared kinda late, behind a Lv.4 door. Needless to say, most boss fights were intense with limited normal missiles.

There were multiple soft locks in my game, but I guess it's just how Fusion is designed. A lot of boss rooms force you to use their reward to get out and naturally I just didn't have that item. A couple of softlocks were pretty annoying unless I missed a secret way out (couldn't backtrack from second bot fight w/o Wave IIRC, and I hadn't saved in a while... it was my bad, but yeah).

Anyway, great stuff :) I hope in the future you guys add silly cosmetic things like randomized colors, sprites from other games and such. Just to give each run a little extra flavor. But this is already amazing and I'm happy I finally got to play it. Thanks again for taking the time to make the Win 7 version.

Enderlands

I downloaded the randomizer and did eveything this post told me to, but the game won't randomize when I open it, maybe it's my emulator? I can't find any tutorial videos/posts on this version of the game, so i'm kinda lost.
Edit - i'm stoopid, just needed to open seeds folder lol

SamusBiceps

Hey guys, I've enjoyed the randomizer so far (even if I haven't been able to beat a single instance lmao).

Quick question, what triggers the bugs to "solidify" in sector 2?

In 3 runs I've been softlocked twice because that bug won't let me get in S2-5-8 (I hope I wrote that correctly), and in another run I can't get the item in S2-4-3 because I don't have any freezing weapons or speedbooster and without hi-jump I don't know if there's any way to go above the tower enemy.

caauyjdp

For S2-5-8, enemies "solidify" after you get hi-jump, and turn into kihunters after you get space jump and plasma.

For S2-4-3, you can also get past them with screw attack, but I'm guessing you don't have it. You can walljump+damage boost over it, but it's not in logic/required.

It seems doubtful that rando would require you to get in those locations without providing tools for it(there was a logic issue with S2-5-8, and not sure if it's already fixed in public version).
I'm tempted to think you might be forgetting a path/item check. Feel free to post .bps and/or spoiler log if you're sure(ish) seed is unbeatable, and maybe someone will look into it.

SamusBiceps

Sadly I don't have bps or spoiler for that one (the unjumpable tower) since I didn't know what those were for. And that's the one I want to beat the most.
Good news are that I created a spoiler log for the other ROM so I'll see to beat those first to keep learning how to play the randomizer.

EDIT: Is it possible to get the seed number out of the filename?

caauyjdp

You can't get a seed out of patched rom, but you can generate a patch(if you deleted original .bps) that can be shared using vanilla and patched rom if patcher you're using can also create patches.

SamusBiceps

Dear diary: Today I learned how to re-create the patch from a modded rom.

If anyone's up to the challenge, here's the .bps, I hope this whole thing is a mistake from me and this is indeed beatable. Thanks guys.

caauyjdp

Yeah, that doesn't seem logically beatable. Bad luck.
It's still beatable if you skip hi-jump, and can perform walljump to get kago item in S2-4-3, but that is not in logic.
[spoiler=what was where]speed booster was locked in ripper tower at S2-5-8. To access that you needed bombs, which were locked in S1, so you needed hi-jump to get the missiles to enter that. Unlocking ripper tower after it locks requires plasma+spacejump. Plasma was in s1, so again, missiles. SJ was in s6, so need at least speed which isn't an option, or screw, which was in s3 and needed pb(edit: and more importantly, speed), which needed bombs and pbs from s6 which requires speed/screw.
Unless i'm forgetting thins, which does tend to happen.
[/spoiler]
Better luck next seed :(

Plokster

Yeah this is an unbeatable seed it happens mostly when you randomize a randomzied rom.
I know this since my friend decided to do this and then got stuck cause he couldn't get missiles to kill zazzabi who had pb that could get him missiles

SamusBiceps

Whelp so that's that xD
Thanks for the help tho.
EDIT: BTW I didn't try to randomize a randomized mod, I actually dumped my own Metroid Fusion game with my brick NDS and my R4 ;)

Kazuto

Hi all, I apologize for the slow responses on my part. The current latest release does indeed have a bug with Ripper Tower in Sector 2 that can sometimes generate an unbeatable seed. Looks like you just got especially unlucky with it, SamusBiceps. That logic bug is fixed in the current dev build, as are a handful of other logic issues that have arisen.

As for the climb out of Sector 2, the randomizer doesn't guarantee that you're always able to get out of a path that you have access to - only that it will provide a way out of where it wants you to go. In this case, you had access to lower Sector 2, but your means of getting out of there was placed elsewhere in the station. I haven't looked at the seed itself, but if it's unbeatable, it likely encountered a logic bug that I've already fixed.

goku0519

Found a impossible seed,
Data S0 was speed boost,MainMissiles at "S1-09-04",MorphBall at "S0-13-07",
no spoiler log,it was race seed,file name is "MFOR - Gravity Habitation Laboratory Central.gba",

ZHunter99

I think I found an unbeatable seed.

Seed: 7457555334372029600
Difficulty: 5, all settings on.
"Arachnus": "PlasmaBeam",
"Item S6-0E-03": "SpaceJump",
"Nightmare": "IceBeam",
"Item S2-03-0C": "Bombs"

I'm no expert with hex, but I think it's saying that Bombs are deep within Sector 2, which isn't accessible without Bombs. Also, the "intended" path is to fight Arachnus and then get Space Jump, which I'm pretty sure is impossible. I've attached the spoiler log.

Edit: I just noticed that Bombs in Sector 2 has been fixed already, but I'm gonna leave this here just in case the Space Jump after Arachnus is an issue.