News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Double Trouble Mod for Metroid Prime 1 & 2

Started by Fantaselion, June 01, 2021, 09:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantaselion

A mod for Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes that Doubles all enemies (including passive ones) and bosses in the game!

These 2 mods have been in the making for the past 3 months, they are the first full scale enemy mod (Unless I'm mistaken) that have been released for any of the Prime games, and after working on it for so long, I now know why.... (hint: it was quite hard)

Both mods have been tested to work on the Dolphin Emulator. The mod for the first game has been tested on Nintendont on the wii and it works perfectly. The second game however has been tested on Nintendont on...one of the systems and it doesn't load, at least for one person.

Make sure to read the Known Issues included with each .RAR file, as it will probably save a couple headaches that have the potential to crop up.

UPDATE 6/12/2021 - I was able to make the patch file for the first game to be only a few megabytes....Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be possible for the second game (I'll continue trying though).

This mod does not currently work with the Metroid Prime 1 and 2 Randomizers. Edit: (there might be a workaround, will update if I figure it out)

Forgot to mention in the Readme files that the boss health bars do not work properly.

INSTRUCTIONS:

The files that you download are in xDelta format, which is used to patch an unmodified .iso (not gcm). Both Prime games have to be USA/NTSC (North American Version), make sure the First Prime game is V1.02. Due to some feedback, the mod is now for V1.00. Due to my files being originally from V1.02, I had to manually revert some changes made between the versions, but I couldn't change everything. almost all Sequence Break's have been reverted though. (full details are in the Readme)

All you have to do is use the Delta Patcher included in the RAR file and patching it should be simple. (It may freeze for a little bit during patching, don't worry this is normal)

Metroid Prime Double Trouble V1.15: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hvZ9oyw80EpH7tEHULBPIkP15HQbi8tq/view?usp=sharing (2021-06-22) (This was the link for the 2nd hack before....oops again)

Metroid Prime 2 - Echoes Double Trouble V1.271: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tzD0pNv4bGtfQNEP_iWYb-skJTW4XKQD/view?usp=sharing (2022-02-02) - Now works on Console!

Credits

Aruki - Original Creator of Prime World Editor, thus making this mod possible
Antidote - Answering my questions on the Metroid Prime Hacking Discord!

Antidote

Nice job! I'm sure this wasn't easy at all.

Fantaselion

Quote from: Antidote on June 01, 2021, 10:30:46 PM
Nice job! I'm sure this wasn't easy at all.

Oh man, it was definitely a struggle at times lol

UncleReggie

Yo, this is incredible. Is there a technical reason 1.02 was used for this instead of 1.00?

Fantaselion

Quote from: UncleReggie on June 03, 2021, 12:18:14 PM
Yo, this is incredible. Is there a technical reason 1.02 was used for this instead of 1.00?

Thank you!

Actually it was an accident. I didn't think about what version I was using when I started this project and by the time I realized it, I was already to far into the project.

MetroidMst

So, other than using 1.02 and not 1.00, the Prime one was quite the experience. More interesting than you might expect from such a concept. I reserve judgement on Echoes for now because I believe you found a solution to an issue there?

Fantaselion

I'm currently working on that issue, and it should be done within the hour (so I should update the upload within 2 hours from now)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, hehe it was definently fun watching you play.

Also the echoes version is much more polished than the prime one :3

(Edit: updated)

Fantaselion

Update: The mod is now for Version 1.00! Along with a few other fixes and changes.

erinexplosives

did a somewhat casual non-ibbf playthrough (had to go back to Main Research at the end because I forgot the missile :/)

really wacky hack. had some tame bosses like idrone and momma sheegoth (skipped hive mecha without thinking, oops) while thardus/op/exo/essense were absurd, pretty hard challenges. I only ever died to essense because I just wasn't really ready for it at all

it was fun to be able to play the game again without doing all the boss strats I've known forever because none of them were really viable

I played entirely on Nintendont and it worked fine. I had originally intended to play through Echoes because that's the game I actually do speedruns of but unfortunately the shrunk iso just wouldn't boot. The Nintendont wiki states that Prime 1 shrunk isos shouldn't boot, but Echoes should so it's odd that the opposite happened to me. Whenever this is playable on console I'll gladly give that a go however, thanks for your work

Fantaselion

I'm glad you enjoyed the mod and the challenge it bringed!

This might work, try downloading DMTools and use these settings

erinexplosives

Unfortunately that didn't work, wish I had a slightly more beefy computer

Fantaselion

Darn, been trying to fix having to use an shrunk .iso but I can't seem to figure out any way to do that. I'll definitely update this is I do find a way though!

Also, For everyone else, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes has been updated, With the 3rd stage of the Emperor Ing now working properly (and is thus doubled) along with some other fixes.

Ray

I love the idea behind this hack and i gave it a try to prime 2 (which is my favorite).

It was all nice, until i reached to the first boss.

Can't describe how bad the experience was, but can say i won't try it again. Its amazing to have double enemies when we are exploring, but not double bosses.

If you ever decide to create an alternate version of this hack, WITHOUT the double bosses, it will actually makes the game pretty good for a normal player (not casual, neither hardcore) like myself.

I dropped it when i reached to the jump guardian, because too many enemies at once in a boss battle is not fun. Its exhausting.

liamnajor

Quote from: Ray on June 13, 2021, 04:55:19 PM
I love the idea behind this hack and i gave it a try to prime 2 (which is my favorite).

It was all nice, until i reached to the first boss.

Can't describe how bad the experience was, but can say i won't try it again. Its amazing to have double enemies when we are exploring, but not double bosses.

If you ever decide to create an alternate version of this hack, WITHOUT the double bosses, it will actually makes the game pretty good for a normal player (not casual, neither hardcore) like myself.

I dropped it when i reached to the jump guardian, because too many enemies at once in a boss battle is not fun. Its exhausting.
I think it's more designed for players like me, who find even the spider and boost guardian trivial.

Fantaselion

Yea, this mod is more aimed towards veterans of the game (doesn't mean you have to be that of course)

Sorry that you didn't have a good time with the bosses, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to bring myself to make a version of this mod without them as the bosses are what took the longest (and were what I was most interested in doing anyway)

H A M

Any trilogy support? i only have the wii versions

Fantaselion

Currently no, but there is a way for me to get it working on there, it will just take some edits and tinkering. Not sure when I will get to this but hopefully it will be soon.

Nasaelo

Excellent modification! thardus, omega pirate and the final boss really were a headache but I quite enjoyed the challenge and that I only played it on normal I can't imagine how it will be on hard...

A pity that prime 2 which is one of my favorite of the 3 games does not work with Nintendont, I was trying everything but nothing works, is it possible that if I burn it to a disc it will probably work? I have to try and see.

Thank you very much for your time and effort in creating this fantastic hack, it really gives a fresh air to the saga!  :bounce:

Fantaselion

Thank you very much for the kind words! Stuff like that remind me why I spent the time to make this mod in the first place  :^_^:

Yea, sorry about that, unfortunately it seems like Echoes will remain incompatible with Nintendont. Of course it is possible that whenever I get these mods ported to Trilogy that it will work with Nintendont, but i'm unsure when I will get to it.

Fantaselion

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Double Trouble now works on console!!!