News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Planets Align Contest

Started by OneOf99, February 08, 2021, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneOf99

PLANETS ALIGN CONTEST

When: February 8th 12:01AM - March 15th 11:59PM (Times EST)
What: Metroid Planets Room Studio
Who: Everyone

Welcome to the Planets Align Contest!
Here we are doing something a little different, as this isn't going to require a completable game, or even a hack of a game. Metroid Planets is a fangame that VacantShade has made and is still working on that has both the original Metroid, and a whole new world in the same style. However, recently focus has been on the third Planet, a world generating randomizer using the same style. Planet Enigma is looking to be a very fun and constantly changing experience. It is currently functioning, but with this contest, we're looking to give it a massive influx of new rooms to really expand the possibilities. And if you've never tried Metroid Planets, this is a good time to do so. Even those who don't like NEStroid have liked this game.

To help with this, Vacant has made a video tutorial explaining the room studio that will be linked here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/840241997

The Scoring:
This will be done with Room of the Month style voting for different categories (though the voting will not be carried out using the MetConst forum poll system). Everyone will get to vote for their favorite in each of the following categories:
  • Asthetics
  • Puzzle
  • Item/Boss
  • Shaft/Hallway
  • Elevator

The Rules:
In order to be eligible for voting, you need to make three rooms minimum. They can be any combination of any predefined area and type. Doing more than three rooms is allowed, and encouraged if you are able to do so, as you won't be eligible for all categories with just three rooms. Your rooms must be playable and meet the pathing guidelines needed by the randomizer. VacantShade will check the submitted rooms for validity, but feel free to ask on the official Discord if you have questions or need help figuring things out. You can also upload your completed rooms there so other players can enjoy them!

Good luck, have fun, and POST HACK!      or post room rather

RT-55J

Yay! Planets!

This is gonna be fun!

Conner

Nightshade

do i have to post all my rooms here at the same time or are multiple posts allowed? do i list what category the room is for?

jacklavin

Here is my submission!  The zip file includes room files and image files.

OneOf99

Quote from: Nightshade on February 08, 2021, 04:17:51 AM
do i have to post all my rooms here at the same time or are multiple posts allowed? do i list what category the room is for?
It would be helpful if you posted all of your rooms as a zip and list what categories you are entering.

jacklavin

Ok hold on- my previous post contained rooms I'd made before the contest began.  Ignore it!

jacklavin

Really though I'd have more entries, but I've been focused too heavily on remakes these last couple weeks, and I'm not putting those in.
I'm entering my room "Caves of Joy" for Aesthetics and Shaft/Hallway; I'm just entering "Screen Transition" for Aesthetics.  "Tourian Elevator 1" is entered into the Elevator category.

Nightshade

almost didn't enter because of bad brain worms. had the rooms made for the contest, but didn't want to enter them. well, i am anyway.

Item room entries:
Chozo Kin
ITSATRAP

Puzzle room entry:
Green Blood Key

Aesthetics room entry:
Droid Storage

Hallway room entry:
K2L Simulation

Elevator room entry:
Lift Station Ruins

RT-55J

I made like 24 rooms over the past month. Here's 5 of my favorites (one for each for each category).

Pics for the lazy:

[spoiler=Aesthetics - LAVA PYRAMID]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Puzzle - GREEN KRAID BRIDGE]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Item/Boss - GREEN KRAID SELFIE]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Shaft/Hallway - METROID X START]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Elevator - FUZZY WAS HE]
idk why but the gif export made some of these bushes pulsate even though they use a non-animated palette :/

[/spoiler]

MarshalldotEXE

Submissions in the final hour!

Aesthetics:
KRAIDS BUBBLE BATH

Puzzle:
TEMPLE OF BUBBLES

Item/Boss:
KRAIDS PRIVATE SAUNA

Shaft/Hallway:
FACTORY SHAFT

Elevator:
SILOUELEVATOR

OneOf99

Submissions for the contest are now closed! I will be creating a voting thread for next week so stay tuned for more...

Miranda Gemini

Voting for the Planets Align contest has now closed. Congratulations to @Nightshade and @MarshalldotEXE for their winning entries!
Your prizes? Some hella nifty badges prepared by none other than Vacantshade himself. Look at how pretty they look under your avatars.

Winning Entries:
[spoiler=Aesthetics: MarshalldotEXE][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Puzzle: Nightshade][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Item/Boss: MarshalldotEXE][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Shaft/Hallway: Nightshade][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Elevator: Nightshade][/spoiler]
Well done everyone on your entries, and winners enjoy your prize!