News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

UpTroidDown

Started by BuggMann, April 05, 2021, 05:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuggMann

Alrighty, I do believe it is ready for launch, but if anyone comes up with any other errors let me know.

This is Super Metroid, but upside down. Also, this is real this time  :cool:

There are a few tweaks that were necessary, because turns out this game isn't designed to be upside down.

I believe it is in full working condition, but let me know if you find any errors or bugs.

Credits:

PJBoy - Scrolling sky fix

Black Falcon - Ceres Skip v 2.2

JAM - Upside Down Gates

Taco and Eternized Dragon - Flipped liquids mod

theonlydude - Demo Skip Patch

Scyzer - Save/Load Patch

Tomtroid

Playing this right now, and Gauntlet is flooded with acid. There may be other rooms flooded with acid, water or lava when all the liquids are supposed to be upside down. You should check every room to make sure all liquids are really upside down, otherwise some rooms will be impossible to get through. Especially if Stunt plans to speedrun this hack.

BuggMann

Quote from: Tomtroid on April 05, 2021, 10:57:57 PM
Gauntlet is flooded with acid.

I will fix that, in not sure what happened, that was one of the first rooms I did actually and it never came up in testing. I must have borked it somehow when tweaking something....

Steel Sparkle

[spoiler]This has been a fun little distraction so far, i like how most things are upside down outside of level design. [/spoiler]

andlabs

Quote from: BuggMann on April 06, 2021, 06:40:24 AM

I will fix that, in not sure what happened, that was one of the first rooms I did actually and it never came up in testing. I must have borked it somehow when tweaking something....
Huh? It works fine for me with the RC2 IPS file and bsnes v080. What emulator are you using?

BuggMann

Quote from: andlabs on April 10, 2021, 01:24:50 PM
Quote from: BuggMann on April 06, 2021, 06:40:24 AM

Huh? It works fine for me with the RC2 IPS file and bsnes v080. What emulator are you using?

This was an issue in RC1. I had accidentally created the IPS patch against a faulty ROM and it didn't carry over the liquid patch. But it's fixed now.

Tomtroid

There's still no access to Spore Spawn, so no one can fight him. :(

andlabs

Quote from: Tomtroid on April 10, 2021, 05:36:18 PM
There's still no access to Spore Spawn, so no one can fight him. :(
[spoiler]You'll need to go in around back. The Spore Spawn skip is still possible; you just need to crouch at the right time to land the shot.
[/spoiler]

caauyjdp

Thank you for the hack. Was fun to get confused. Pants room before shaktool broke my mind quite a bit, and maridia in general was quite confusing.

Couple minor things, in aqueduct, sand pits seem to allow you to go up out of bounds, which is potentially crashy? Possibly other pits leading up too, didn't feel like testing at the time.

And stumbled on this(samus is standing on its left edge) random solid tile in pre draygon room, not sure if it's in vanilla.

BuggMann

Quote from: caauyjdp on April 11, 2021, 08:07:41 AM
Thank you for the hack....

Couple minor things, in aqueduct, sand pits seem to allow you to go up out of bounds, which is potentially crashy?..

And stumbled on this(samus is standing on its left edge) random solid tile in pre draygon room, not sure if it's in vanilla.

Hey I'm glad you liked it! And thanks for the feedback, I will get those problems fixed. I didn't even think about the same pits but it makes sense that it would let you do that and I'll just put a cap on it. I removed the functionality of most the sand pits just because the door transitions weren't present and I didn't feel like adding them and with gravity flipped it's kind of a weird thing anyway. And that random solid block is not supposed to be there, but I will take it out, thanks!

DonnyDonovan

This was an interesting little time waster.  Some rooms are vastly easier while some are significantly harder, especially early on.  I think I had to IBJ at least once in the early going and there was one midair morph where I had to use slowdown to pull it off, right after the first missiles.  I never did figure out how to break the super missile block to get into Spore Spawn's area through the back door, and I never figured out how to get the one missile pack in Maridia mainstreet.  There was one time trying to get the goodies after the gauntlet where I went out of bounds but I tried again and couldn't duplicate the problem.  Overall I'd call this fun, weird, and it's obvious the game wasn't meant to be played this way (duh).