News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Boot Engine (Alpha Release) - GameMaker: Studio

Started by Scooterboot9697, March 09, 2017, 08:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: FPzero on October 21, 2017, 12:31:03 PMSpeaking of, to what extent are you planning to create and code enemy types? Is your plan to achieve parity with Super Metroid or just to make a few of the more important ones and leave it up to players to code some of the enemies themselves?
To be completely honest, I'm probably gonna add whatever enemies I feel like adding.

Okay so I want to make some clarifications, to everyone: this engine is not exactly intended for just anyone to make something out of. This engine is basically my playground, something I use to teach myself about game design, and do basically whatever I want. I won't stop someone from using my engine for their own projects, anyone is free to do so, but don't jump into it thinking you can create something super easily.

So, when you say "leave it up to the players to code some of the enemies themselves", no, this is not how I'm going to design it.

I've had a few people ask me various things about my engine in terms of coding, and while I am happy to help and answer simple questions, I'm not going to provide something like a full-on documentation.

There was a time where I had planned to make an all-purpose Metroid engine that anyone can make something out of, but it proved to be a bit out of my league, as I would have to make sure all my code is super clean and easy to use, as well as provide full documentation.

However, who knows, maybe one day ("one day" being like a decade from now) I might actually make an all-purpose Metroid engine, or a "Metroid Maker" if you will. But it will likely be a new project, and it most definitely won't be done in Game Maker.

Sorry for the wall of text.

TL;DR: Gonna add whatever enemies I want. If you came looking for an easy way to make a fan game, look elsewhere. :bounce:

Hackmi

I believe that if someone wants to make a game out of your engine they should have some understanding of the code atleast, otherwise it's pretty worthless of them to wanna use it.

sanojes

looking forward to the next releases :bounce:

Scooterboot9697

I'm releasing the "final" version (first post updated with links).

What I mean by "final" is that I'm done with Game Maker and I plan to move to a more reliable game engine such as Godot or Unity 2D (haven't fully decided which yet, but I'm leaning towards Godot).

I mentioned all of this a long time ago on Discord and I completely forgot to mention it here. But oh well.

This doesn't mean this project is necessarily dead, Boot Engine is still alive, just being rewritten.

Changelog:
Lot's of stuff changed and fixed. Have fun. And don't report bugs to me, because I'm not updating this particular build anymore.
Edit: I lied. I made one more update that fixed a few sound effects and hopefully fixed lag issues.

Edit 2:
Okay, okay. Someone found a crash when laying a Power Bomb underwater. And I uploaded a fixed version.

I may continue to do crash fixes for the next 48 hours/2 days. After which, I am definitely done.

metalmight

I love that the black bar at the top is removed now.  I've always hated that.  I wish someone would use this engine to remake Super Metroid completely.  It would be great for a Metroid 1 remake too.

Hackmi

Why don't you do it?
speaking from experience here making someone's incomplete engine into a fully fledged game is no simple task. you have to:
1) finish and organise the engine (add saving, map etc the list goes on)
2) learn how to code enemies
and then make an entire game from it.
I don't think BootEngine is a "Metroid Maker" and one massive downside to making anything in this or a fangame in general is that people think you owe them a game once you've teased it around.
unban me losrs

Ridley

For some reason running the Game Maker source I'm getting stuttering on slopes. Does anyone know why this would be?

CraigRobbo

Hey man, this is an awesome project and was following it. I was just wondering if you got anywhere with rebuilding in unity/godot it or continuing it in GMT?

Woudl be great to hear a reply.

Craig

Hackmi

he was working on it in gms2 about 2 months ago but then took a break for his hack.

knightmarez

This engine looks awesome.  Has anyone tried building anything using it?  I know Hackmi above made Metroid Origins using the MEngine which is pretty awesome as well.

The Boot engine seems to be a little closer to SM with additional enhancements.  I think both are fantastic, but I prefer the Boot engine because it allows momentum cancellation during a flip like SM, whereas MEngine has the Fusion/MZM constant horizontal movement while in a flip, and initiating a flip while changing direction is a bit easier (Metroid Origins of course made this easier to manage in the MEngine by holding the dash button while jumping).

Edit: Saw the bit Scooterboot noted where it's not necessarily optimized or well documented, so that pretty much answers my question.  Still a great looking engine.

Hackmi

BootEngine plays a lot nicer.
Only real reason I didn't use it was because I couldn't understand it and it has lots of incomplete things, once the GMS2 engine is done I see no reason for people to use MEngine aside from monkey bars and some of the later beams that were added.

I attempted a small project in BootEngine for a short period of time and it played well but I just have no idea how to code so I didn't bother going further with it.

again once he comes back and does the gms2 thing hopefully there will be some decent games made in it.

ponybaloney

so whats the status of this engine right now. im a software developer and id like to get my hands on it

jiggilowjow

this is a completely amazing project. best controls of any metroid ever. yall have made the best metroid engine ive ever played. i cant wait to play all the games that use this engine. great job devs!!!!!!