News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

How to start from scratch on SMART

Started by Gameaholic2d, August 02, 2020, 04:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gameaholic2d

I'm currently trying to make a ROM hack of Super Metroid and I'm using SMART. I am currently trying to figure out how to start from scratch (Have no rooms).

Anyone know how to do that?

EpicSlayer7

i might be totally unqualified to respond but i can tell you that there is a modded Rom that has this somewhere or a ISP to apply to it that does this on the construction... or so i remember a similar question being answered as such.

2nd you could delete most rooms and reset them to a 1x1 by hand BUT be warned that from what i could gather it appears that if you touch Ceres (the space station at the start) or the Bonus Room (the last room in the ROM) it breaks the game...

3rd you might want to apply most of the ASM or IPS patches you want before even touching the rooms since SMART is used to move data around but that might overwrite some parches or patches could overwrite rooms... and you kind of have to track what ASM is modded in the free space and mark it in SMART.

4th is just a rant lol not important.

4th SMART is getting there on being able to mod the Rom like a true editor but it is just a bit short. things are quite modular but not full proof. but SMART is closer than the rest in modularity since the others will simply write over other rooms without you knowing. SMART has the default setting of padding each rooms with extra bytes after so you can expand with some safety. i wish it could know what is "game engine code" in sections and be able to repoint that, and all as modules but that would take an insane amount of dedicated work that is frankly unfair to ask for... (what i mean is it can't add new projectiles and items and menus not in the game... it can probably mod existing but ASM is not like a game source code in C++ or other languages, it is raw math so you can't tell what it is for just by looking, if you were counting on an abacus, how can you tell you are counting oranges from cars? it is just math.)

dewhi100

SMART can export all the rooms in a ROM to XML files in a folder. Save a ROM to XML, then go to that folder and select/remove all the files.

TIP: Don't delete all the rooms. Leave one behind. It will make things easier.