News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Mega Metroid World - Crossover Fangame

Started by VacantShadeGames, July 22, 2020, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VacantShadeGames

MEGA METROID WORLD
A crossover fangame made for a one week contest

This game was made in a week [7/13/2020]-[7/19/2020] for a game/hack contest here on MetroidConstruction. Basically I tried to mix Mega Man, Metroid, and Mario, all into one game. Most of the bosses are from Mega Man, the upgrades and theme are from Metroid, and the physics and items are from Mario. The level design is a mix of all three, allowing for quick progression, but also maze like paths with reason to back track and explore for upgrades. The game is fairly challenging, just like its roots, so be prepared for that. :wink:

[spoiler=Gifs]

[/spoiler]

I ran out of time during the contest, so afterwards I went back and spent an evening making some improvements and fixing some bugs. Some players noted that check points might be a nice addition, and while I heavily considered it, ultimately I felt it would be hard to mesh well with the exploration based level design (without significant redesign) and might make the game too easy.
[spoiler=changelog]
v1.1 - Balancing/Bug Fixes  [7/22/2020]
   - Adjusted double jump physics to have more horizontal freedom.
   - Adjusted wall slide to activate slightly slower, and reduce speed more.
   - Removed ability to morph in mid air.
   - Fixed a graphical issue with Weapon bars on the HUD.
   - Added the ability to turn Upgrades on/off on the Pause menu.
   - Enemies now return to their original position after you leave their "scroll section", even if not destroyed.
   - Samus no longer takes damage during screen transitions or while bosses are dying.
   - Fixed a glitch with Bombs and Ice Blocks killing enemies that are already dead.
   - Added Crumble Blocks for small Stage adjustments.
   - Slight Stage adjustments.
   - Small Graphical Improvements.
   - Increased difficulty of Final Boss.
   - Fixed an issue with Ice Blocks that fall down pits.
   - Fixed issues with looping music.
   - One Up Mushrooms now save you from spikes and lava.
   - Added more SFX.
   - Weapon Damage against enemies increased.
[/spoiler]

[CONTROLS]
Standard controls are below, but you can use a gamepad and customize controls in the options menu.
Jump: Spacebar
Shoot: Z
Weapon Cycle: X
Pause: C
Movement: Arrowkeys

[ITEMS]
Items from Item blocks are temporary powerups that only last while you are in the level.

Mushroom: Refill Energy, and gain 1 Temporary Energy
Flower: Grants extra temporary ammo that can be used for any weapon, and upgrades beam attacks
Star: Grants invincibility to enemies and hazards for a short time
Green Mushroom: Once acquired, if your energy ever drops to 0, it is instantly refilled to max

[UPGRADES]
Upgrades are permanent powerups that can be found in each level.

Capsules: These contain unique powerups that expand your abilities.
Energy Tank: These give you an additional Energy Tank.
Weapon Tank: These increase your max ammo by 5.

[DOWNLOAD] - Windows - 6mb
Windows Download

KNOWN CRASH:
If you use Gravity Bombs while you have the Flower item active.

[CREDITS]
Some SFX by Loeder
Freezeman Theme from Rockman 7 Famicom project
Most graphics are from various games, found on Spriter's Resource

Hope you enjoy!

Zhs2

[spoiler=Completion Stats][/spoiler]

This was fun. Not too long, not too short, I think checkpoints would have worked if you checkpointed at the pre-boss room and there was also a lives system to go with it (and of course, if you run out of lives then you get kicked back to the robot master selection screen.) I was vaguely annoyed at having to navigate Heatman's stage several times, though once I started collecting all of the permanent upgrades the rest of the stages gradually became much easier to explore. There could stand to be a greater hint as to the W. Energy Tank in Sparkman's stage, I think. It should also be noted that there is a need to replay stages with the weapons you get from bosses - Sparkman is especially guilty of giving you the Wave beam needed to collect his capsule upgrade, the others are gotten using weapons from other stages (or a certain capsule upgrade in Gravityman's case.) Ridley is a joke if you bring a Starman along to his fight. Also I wasn't entirely sure but I think the music volume kept increasing slightly past the point it should have after lowering when collecting a capsule upgrade, I had to go into Windows Mixer and turn the game down some more a couple times.

VacantShadeGames

Thanks for playing! Glad you had fun.

There are definitely a lot of things that could be improved. I've considered going back and working some more on it, but I've been tied up in other projects, haha.
I kind of like that you can beat Ridley that way, since it is a little bit out of the box thinking. Glad someone figured it out! :)