News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - July 2020

Started by Cpt.Glitch, July 01, 2020, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should win ROTM for July 2020?

Alexman25
2 (8%)
CaptGlitch
0 (0%)
Catalyst
2 (8%)
Catroid
0 (0%)
Fe
1 (4%)
Meeptroid
1 (4%)
Moehr
17 (68%)
Nodever2
1 (4%)
RT-55J
1 (4%)
VacantShadeGames
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Cpt.Glitch

Moehr

BIG SPOILER from TotW, don't look at it til after you've played, if you hate spoilers.

[spoiler][spoiler]well, one drive is giving me issues, so maybe a forum staff can download and reupload or something:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlQ6oVIETJWMmhfqDsdaYtPJSFkC?e=YtOcR9[/spoiler][/spoiler]

RT-55J

alexman25

Don't think I've got anything too special here, but hey, why not give it a shot, right?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fe

First time submitting to room of the week month in god knows how long, hope this goes well.

[spoiler=Pic][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Video]room[/spoiler]

catroid

First entry in any contest. Abandoned Waver prison with purple prison exits.

nodever2

Scree Den with some subtle effects.
[spoiler=Submission][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Media (gif)][/spoiler]

Catalyst

For Metroid Planets: Enigma, using the in-game room editor.

(Thanks Jiffy!)

Meeptroid

Figured I'd throw out my first room for RoTM, also made with the Planets room editor.

Addendum: Animated version due to how items show up in non-animated images.

VacantShadeGames

Wrecked Ship room for Metroid Planets:

[spoiler=Non-animated:][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Animated:][/spoiler]

OneOf99

Wow, what a big turnout for last month! With Mentlegens's one week contest and lots of entries for ROTM, we have had a load of activity around here. Big congratulations to Flower and Retroo for tying with the top score for votes last month with their entries from June! This time we have 10 solid new entries, many of which have a gif or video accompanying them.

[spoiler=Alexman25][/spoiler]
[spoiler=CaptGlitch][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Catalyst][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Catroid][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Fe][spoiler=Image][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHYDELZn-Pk&feature=emb_logo[/spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Meeptroid][spoiler=Image][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Gif][/spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Moehr][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Nodever2][spoiler=Image][/spoiler]
[spoiler=RT-55J][/spoiler]
[spoiler=VacantShadeGames][spoiler=Image][/spoiler]

As always, may the best room win!

Flower

Good submissions, for me it's a tie between alexman, rt and vacant.
alexman and rt each for their great use of colour, vacant as it's Wrecked 8Bit goodness. Hard to decide between those three, at least for me.
I am gonna give myself some time to decide on that.
Moehr your screen is absurdly huge, it would have won if only the background would be a bit more interesting and i would have liked a bit more contrast. Floating islands is a nice approach and does not only look nice in Minecraft, also Metroid, who would have thought ;) Other than that also: great work!
Those are my spontaneous 5 cents.

FelixWright

Holy fuck moehr I'm gonna call the cops on you for murdering the competition

Hackmi

voted for moehr because his room looks the prettiest and has some really nice custom artwork, is it by AlbertV? great use of the tilesets and I like the general concept of floating islands. the waterfall is cool but maybe there should be one on the other side? idk.
as for the actual room layout it's pretty nice and simple, not too windy, so like super metroid which is good, but I will say it's a little hard to tell what you can walk on and what you cant? like what's foreground and what's backgrounds etc.
as for the rest of the rooms, kinda cringe.

Moehr

This one I tiled using Albert's tilesets, which are now available on the main site for others to use as well! The tileset was made to be used in a more traditional manner but was able to pull this off as well, enjoy!

VacantShadeGames

Awesome to see so many rooms this month!

[spoiler=Alexman25]Very cool palette for ZM! Really gives some atmosphere to the room. Do those green lines move along the walls? Cause they should and that would be awesome. All around, solid room.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=CaptGlitch]Nice simple room, with a really unique tileset! Looks a bit out of place for typical Metroid, but it would be interesting to see how you use it in a hack![/spoiler]
[spoiler=Catalyst]Nice use of the classic NEStroid tiles! The subtle palette shifts add a lot. Also really like the background cave walls, and the empty chasms on the sides![/spoiler]
[spoiler=Catroid]Is that tileset... working how it's supposed to? :?: At any rate, there's a lot going on in this room. The abundance of Morph tunnels could lead to confusion, but the overall path of the room seems ok.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Fe]Very nice design, excellent atmosphere! Really good job on the background elements, they really make the room feel unique. The palettes are soft but complementary, and combined with the water in the background definitely makes the room feel like a quiet spot away from the action, which fits since its a map room. Great work![/spoiler]
[spoiler=Meeptroid]Those background tiles are great! I've never seen, or thought of, a swamp-like theme, but this definitely fits that concept. Using the Wrecked Ship wires as vines is also a nice touch.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Moehr]I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said! It's a really great room, good work! The custom tileset really makes it pop, but I think more than anything I just like the sky-city concept, since it hasn't been used in 2d Metroid yet. Really neat idea![/spoiler]
[spoiler=Nodever2]I really like that blue palette, looks great with that subtle glow and the fading at the bottom of the screen! The screes' placement to create something of a puzzle/challenge is cool too, and it looks like it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Solid room, nice job![/spoiler]
[spoiler=RT-55J]Nice colors as was already mentioned! I think what stands out to me most about this room is how it appears that there are several sections, and it looks like you pass through it multiple times at different levels of progression. That's really cool, and solid world design. Very nice![/spoiler]

Looking forward to seeing what gets submitted for next month!  :bounce: