News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Coming Soon - Samus Combat Armour

Started by Munchy, June 05, 2020, 01:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munchy

Samus - Combat Armour

Teaser Trailer
Samus Combar Armour - Teaser Trailer

Eventually for a full hack, but for now:

Video 6
Samus Combat Armour - Video 6

Video 5
Samus Combat Armour - Video 5

Video 4
Samus Combat Armour - Video 4

Video 3
Samus Combat Armour - Video 3

Video 2
Samus Combat Armour - Video 2

Video 1
Samus Combat Armour - Video 1

Working on Samus has pretty much been the hardest pixel art I've ever done. The space is often very tight and the overlap between sprites quite often means having to re-tweak finished poses so you get the most pragmatic result.

why not zero suit? The loading pose is very very fiddly to change without repointing, so I'm relying on mirroring a sprite to handle her shoulders.  Hats off to the person who can figure out symmetry without shoulder pads; it's very very hard to make her look good without them. Besides, I think she looks cool like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I get the mojo, I'll probably do some more work on SPARTA (Super Munchtroid) to make it a bit more user friendly (I'm waaay more familiar with some of it's annoying bits now and I still need to sort out allowing users to do the missile launcher fins on her blaster)

FelixWright

Looking good, Munchy! Thanks for sharing!

Munchy

soz it's a bit lo res :/ she doesn't look quite so dark in HD. will try and get a better video up once I've got some more frames down

Dasfonia

This is honestly really good, I'm going to keep checking back here for updates. :)

Hackmi

not bad, suit needs more contrast and overall probably needs to stick out more from the environments. samus's suits tend to be much more vibrant than the environments, orange pink and yellow. you're gonna have to have some kind of compromise for a good blue colour that doesn't blend into the background.
not bad though, keep working on it

Metroid Violinist

I quite like the design of this suit, my only suggestion is changing the colors, take a look at the Zero Mission ZSS for inspiration- other than that, great work.

Munchy

yeah agreed :) the color is a placeholder (and luckily it's pretty easy to change that) I'll experiment with some different palettes once all the poses are ready!

speaking of which:

done:
aiming left/right/up-left/up-right/up/down-right/down-left running/standing/jumping/crouching all finished
crouch transition (except up-right/up-left, not sure why they have their own lower-body sprites)
jump transitions
morph ball

in progress:
all turning left-to-right/right-to-left transitions.

to do
shinespark
spin jump
space jump/screw attack
Grapple :/ (hard)

misc
crystal flash
death
various small obscure pose tweaks

Metroid Violinist

Looking great Munchy! I like the new morphball- looking forward to this project's completion, as the original Justin Bailey hack didn't showcase Samus properly imo. This seems like something a lot closer to Samus and her power suit.  :grin:

Munchy

thanks dude :) The Justin Bailey hack is pretty amazing given the way it was put together.
I've actually been flirting with fixing it to look a bit more natural now that SPARTA is here!

Munchy

Video 4

that leaves:

damage boost & damage sustained
shine spark,
crystal flash (though I might not change that)
death pose,
grapple,
post-mother brain beam,
moonwallk

I think that pretty much covers it.

Metroid Violinist

Quote from: Munchy on June 20, 2020, 06:03:50 PM
Video 4

that leaves:

damage boost & damage sustained
shine spark,
crystal flash (though I might not change that)
death pose,
grapple,
post-mother brain beam,
moonwallk

I think that pretty much covers it.

Looking great, dude! Can't wait to see this finished-

Munchy

Thanks, slowly but surely (actually, it's coming together faster than I expected really  :^_^: )

I've been doing a little bit of repointing today as one of the x-ray VRAM/Tilemap sets kind of sucks.  Luckily, I'm writing a tool for SPARTA that'll make repointing VRAM/Tilemaps a LOT easier.

ocesse

I don't see the time when this project is finished, I want to play several Super Metroid hacks with this redesigned Samus.
Munchy, you're doing a great job, thanks for that.

Munchy

Project is full steam ahead. To really make the model as good as it can be I've just finished coding a MASSIVE upgrade to SPARTA.  I'm testing it out as I design right now before the release in a few days.  I'll be developing Samus' Combat Armour as I go.

here's the latest SPARTA manual any hoo, for those interested in trying out redesigning Samus:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5o2BElhCIlFJ5VkeQOhLHWhOe6W4RVp/view?usp=sharing

Munchy

Video 5
Samus Combat Armour - Video 5

I still need to tweak a couple of the missile offsets a bit but they're nearly right :)

Munchy

SPACE JUMP! one of the hardest poses (IMHO) finished (It looks odd with the frames in isolation but I like how it blends at speed, it's a lot more minimal than the original - which I always thought was one of the weaker-looking poses in the game)

Video 6

Munchy

I've also been doing some repointing to make more room in the sprite tilemaps. The x-ray poses no longer take up extra space at the end of $92 thanks to some economic use of space and I've cleared space for quite a lot of extra sprite tilemaps should someone want some extra tilemaps for poses in the future.

Munchy

So what's left?

main things are
death, some kind of varia-facing-forward (probably just gonna use the power suit tiles, maybe with slightly bigger shoulder pads) grapple and moonwalk... that's about it.

Grapple is probably the hardest i'd say... That's gonna be a challenge!

covered stuff like damage boosts, wall jumps and various transition poses.  The ROM barely has any of Samus' suit in it right now!

then I've gotta do the palettes (shouldn't be too tricky with the upgraded version of SPARTA).

then it's done :)

Metroid Violinist

Quote from: Munchy on July 02, 2020, 12:51:20 PM
SPACE JUMP! one of the hardest poses (IMHO) finished (It looks odd with the frames in isolation but I like how it blends at speed, it's a lot more minimal than the original - which I always thought was one of the weaker-looking poses in the game)

Video 6

Looking great Munchy! I can't wait to playthrough the game with this.

On another note, I ask that you please avoid double, or even triple posting on here- just edit the original post. I know I'm not a mod or an admin, but it really does help to keep things looking tidy.  :^_^:

Munchy

Yeah no worries @violinst :) I'm used to another forum where bumping was a lot more common!

anyhow: News time

First draft of Grapple is finished (it needs some tweaking which I'll do in the next day or so probably as her head still isn't quite right). all 64+ frames of it :p

that leaves:

- grapple holding onto wall (2 frames)
- some mother brain injured stuff
- death pose
- a new pose for when Samus is low on health.

that's it!

p.s. I've taken some notes because I did a lot of pointer sharing. There's A LOT of extra space for people that might wanna write extra poses now. Both VRAM and sprite map stuff. I'll share a README with the ips when it's ready

Munchy

I can confirm that I have animated every pose in-game for Samus' Combat Armour.

I just need to do the palettes and we're done.

Munchy

Samus Combat Armour is finished.

I'm at the stage of testing. Video teaser and all that good stuff coming soon when I have the energy (I am buuuurned out  :lol: this was like the hardest project I think I've ever done!)