News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid : Mission 187

Started by Odb718, September 28, 2015, 05:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odb718

A while back Snarfblam gave me a Metroid rom he'd been working on and lost interest in. The rom was pretty much all there but some rooms were broken, some doors had no rooms to go into, and a few of the power ups seemed to be unreachable. Sometimes major sections of the map were completely missing.

I had worked on the rom for a while and forgot about it. Then I thought I uploaded it for some reason... Well now I have!
Metroid Mission 187 SendSpace mirror

Jnes decided it didnt want to take screenshots for some reason. This is what prt scrn got me..
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I'm not 1000% sure everything everywhere will be perfect. I've played through it 1 time and tested rooms using Editroid.

No edit on the title screen, except what Snarfblam did.
I've added in Saves, but no mini-map.
The map is updated to match the world.
As far as I know the hack should be 100% beatable. The missing room to Kraid's been fixed.

Let me know what you guys think.

Quietus

Now those are some funky colours. :^_^:

Quote from: Odb718 on September 28, 2015, 05:16:03 AMI'm not 1000% sure everything everywhere will be perfect.
I am sure that 995% is more than enough for most users here. :razz:

Grimlock

I'll give it a go.  Do you have any plans to continue working on this project?

Odb718

Half and Half. If Snarfblam releases some of his new add-ons and I get in the mood, yeah definitely.
I was thinking about editing the title screen.
As for the general layout and feel of each screen, I dont plan on editing it unless there's bugs to squash.
If Snarfblam wants to edit it that'd be great.

Odb718

Apparently there are a few major bugs with the released version. I'm going to try to update them here asap.

Steel Sparkle

I have to say it looks pretty interesting.

Odb718

I worked on this for a while and forgot about it.
I've made the map match the actual world. I fixed the few bugs that were found. 
Here's the latest IPS

I'd say it's a pretty solid hack. Just basic stuff mainly. I _think_ I swapped locations on a few items to make things flow smoother. 99% sure I did.

andlabs

Interesting hack so far.

After grabbing Varia Suit I go back to the tall green chute and it doesn't scroll vertically anymore; the ripper room separating the two rooms does scroll vertically. Was this fixed in the new IPS and I need to start over, or am I doing something wrong?

Odb718

Sorry about the late reply.
Looking at the map in Editroid, it seems you're right about the mess up.
Obviously you can save and quit for now to get un-trapped. It's actually the door that exits the Varia Suit room's fault.
I'll have to duplicate the room and switch the door type to get it to work properly. It needs to be a 4 and it's a 3.  :<_<:
It's attached to a room that's used for Brinstar and Norfair so I can't exactly see what's going on easily.

andlabs

Thanks! I'm surprised the saving thing doesn't reset my stats somehow (didn't Zelda do that? is that just something invented by Metroid+Saving?).

This room also seems to stop scrolling vertically after coming back from Norfair/Ridley:

And I think the top-right square of Ridley also doesn't scroll despite being supposed to given the minimap? Either way, time to finish this hack.

Odb718

Uploading an IPS for ease.
Nothing new added.

RT-55J

I'm trying to play this hack, but when I tried playing it the screen before the elevator to Kraid was missing, sending me into the dreaded offscreen void. Also, the mini-map on the pause screen is for the original game, and not for this hack (even though the screenshots from other people in this thread show it properly changed).

This is true when I try using both the patch on the site and the latest patch in this thread.

Am I being a dope, or is the patch wrong somehow?

RT-55J

Okay, it looks like the latest patch in this thread and the patch on the main site are both borked -- like they're based on the rom snarf gave odb originally or something.

I managed to obtain the correct version of the hack, and I think it's quite swell.

Here's the patch. I hope this works for other folks.