News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - May 2020

Started by dewhi100, May 01, 2020, 10:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should win ROTM for May 2020?

Charmander106
7 (28%)
Cloud20
0 (0%)
Dewhi100
3 (12%)
Hackmi
1 (4%)
JamieWebb16
2 (8%)
Moehr
2 (8%)
Miranda Gemini
10 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 0

dewhi100

Hackmi

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Very old tileset I made back in da day
metcoomerconst

Cloud20

Gloomy temple, skulls piled up, and corpses floating on a suspiciously red liquid, welcome to kingdom of deads.

[spoiler]

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbwyFMcWNwY&feature=youtu.be[/spoiler]

Probably won't be the best room of the month, but still worth showing it :)

Hackmi

Digital_Mantra

Would be cool if you had a platform enemy following that zig-zag bg design :cool:

Cloud20

Well the zig zag thing was more intended to make a bg path for through the room, but the idea is quite interesting. Thanks for the feedback Dman and Hackmi :)

JamieWebb16

Black Plague V2
[spoiler=Starting Room][/spoiler]

Cloud20

Quote from: JamieWebb16 on May 04, 2020, 11:39:33 PM
Black Plague V2

Nice to see you back Jamie, especially with this :D

JamieWebb16

Quote from: Cloud20 on May 05, 2020, 05:31:45 AM
Quote from: JamieWebb16 on May 04, 2020, 11:39:33 PM
Black Plague V2

Nice to see you back Jamie, especially with this :D

Glad to be back. :)

Digital_Mantra

Miranda Gemini

Modbot is gaining sentience

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Charmander106

Showcasing tileset.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Retroo

Quote from: Charmander106 on May 07, 2020, 01:29:32 PM
Showcasing tileset.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
qouting myself from 2014
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Moehr

More proving grounds, from tower of lore:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

OneOf99

Congrats to Digital Mantra for winning April's ROTM contest! We now move into May's entries, which feature many differing locales yet somehow also an abundance of cool colors.

[spoiler=Charmander106][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Cloud20][spoiler=Room][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbwyFMcWNwY[/spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Dewhi100][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hackmi][spoiler=Room][/spoiler]
[spoiler=In Game][/spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler=JamieWebb16][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Moehr][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Miranda Gemini][/spoiler]

Get voting!  :>:

Miranda Gemini

Lots of interesting stuff going on this month:

[spoiler=Charmy]Pretty neat little room, this. I love that it feels like a transitional area between the ruins to the right and the more natural caverns to the left. The use of layering is always a big plus from me, though I've never been a huge fan of those tiles used centrally. Also I have a minor gripe in that the tops of those totem poles cut off a bit weirdly at the top, the perfectly straight black line seems a little off. Overall good stuff though.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Cloudy]Fairly generic bricky room that looks like it'd be a hell of a lot of fun to run through, minus the spikes in the second section that seem like you would blind drop onto them. Skulls are always cool, I'd probably vary the filler up a bit more but this doesn't look like it'd be a big showoffy room anyway so that can be forgiven. I hope it's possible to full halfie across this![/spoiler]
[spoiler=Dewhiy]I suck with techy tilesets. This is a really good example of one, and I love your use of the "door" tunnels in a unique way. Don't have much more to add to this other than cool stuff. If I had one improvement suggestion it'd be to do something with those vanilla door tile palettes to make them blend in a bit more with the rest of the room.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hackmiy]This sure is a corridor alright. Can't really say much about this because there isn't much going on here.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Webby]This room gives off an eerie feeling, I quite like it. I hope you've got some sort of affect that makes those lights appear glowing, it'd add a lot of atmosphere to this room. No real complaints here though, good stuff.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Moehry]Interesting last minute submission to say the least. It's a decent room but again, I'd say it's not really much of a showcase. The section of metallic brickwork on the right in particular is a bit jarring to me, you could do a lot more to make it fit in with all the blues you have going on with the rest of this room. Weird room, in a kinda neat way.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Mirandy]Boomer makes Crateria corridor. If you think this is peak 2016 me wait until you see the inevitable Crateria corridor I put up for the next ROTM. Or even better, maybe I'll do Maridia![/spoiler]

dewhi100

[spoiler=Charmander]Great palette, great BG, Simple, decent layers. I would improve the BG by giving the mountains a blue tint to make them look further away, and give then some details too.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Cloud]I think I remember this room from Axiom Verge. It looks like space jump is needed to get around. I would say to improve this room, add some diversity to the BG bricks and the bone piles.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=My Entry]Artificial tilesets are difficult for me. The tileset is a combination of Tourian, Wrecked Ship, and Ceres. I tried to make a palette with cool colors since the base is on a glacier.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hackmi]The BG is nice. Reminds me of the hand-painted BGs from old animated movies.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jamie]Cool room with great depth. To improve, use different/differently paletted tiles to add light and shadows. This room is also a good candidate for Flexglow. [/spoiler]
[spoiler=Moehr]This room confuses me. Are those conveyor belts? Why do the walls mismatch? And so many CRE tiles.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=MG]The room I am voting for. Amazing layers and palette. Great depth. Just a chill place to relax in. Add sunbeams please.[/spoiler]

Cloud20

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quick question, I remember that I published a video with the room that could show a bit better how the room works, but I can't see the video anymore. Is that videos are not allowed anymore for showing the room in game?

Edit: Voted for Miranda Gemini for this month. The colors are so vibrant.

Hackmi

Thanks for the feedback homies. I agree that I didn't do much with the room, it was made just to see what I could do as a new background style for Pixeltroid back when it was still going :).

My next submission will be more creative I swear

Miranda Gemini

Quote from: Cloud20 on June 03, 2020, 11:28:25 AM
Quick question, I remember that I published a video with the room that could show a bit better how the room works, but I can't see the video anymore. Is that videos are not allowed anymore for showing the room in game?
My guess is that this was just missed because the video wasn't actually embedded in the post - I actually had to go back and look to see that there was a video there. Videos do seem to be explicitly mentioned in the rules, so I've updated the first post to include this.
Thanks for the vote btw! I'm pretty happy with this one honestly.