News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Year 2018

Started by OneOf99, January 01, 2019, 02:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who won ROTY for 2018?

February - Digital Mantra
1 (4.3%)
March - Jefe962
1 (4.3%)
April - Jefe962
0 (0%)
May - Vismund
6 (26.1%)
June 1 - Jefe982
3 (13%)
June 2 - mccad
3 (13%)
July - Benox
0 (0%)
August - Conner
1 (4.3%)
September - Digital Mantra
2 (8.7%)
October 1 - Albert_V
2 (8.7%)
October 2 - mccad
1 (4.3%)
November - Albert_V
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 0

OneOf99

Room of the Year 2018
Well, it has been quite the year for metconst. In 2018 we saw as many as 3 different contests, all with some great themes and entries! Special congratulations to the rom hackers that won (and entered) in each contest. Alongside all of that, we saw the releases of non-contest hacks such as Stargazer, Recovery, and Nature.  I would also like to congratulate each and everyone of the wonderful hackers who had their rooms voted as the best of each month. But which room shall rule them all? Do note that we had two ties which have been split up into two separate votes. As always, one vote per person. May the best room of 2018 win! (December will be featured in roty 2019, since it has no winner as of yet)

February: Digital Mantra
[spoiler][/spoiler]

March: Jefe962
[spoiler][/spoiler]

April: Jefe962
[spoiler][/spoiler]

May: Vismund
[spoiler][/spoiler]

June: Jefe962/mccad (tie)
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

July: Benox50
[spoiler][/spoiler]

August: Conner
[spoiler][/spoiler]

September: Digital_Mantra
[spoiler][/spoiler]

October: Albert_V/mccad (tie)
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

November: Albert_V
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jiffy

I shall be giving feedback and critique of each room individually:

[spoiler=February]Great, unique room from DMantra as always. I like the trees, and I especially like the background lighting. I've mentioned the blue tiles in the background before, but maybe they could have some faint filler in them.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=March]My room! I ended up making the tiles darker and changing the background, because the flipped tiles looked weird.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=April]My room again! Yet again I changed the palette because I thought it was too heavy. I was still getting used to Lower Norfair rooms at this point.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=May]Vismund just walks in with his gorgeous sunshine rooms. The structure of the rocks is on point, but the palette on the background rocks looks ever so slightly too bright.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=June 1]My room yet again! This is probably my best work. I wish the hack had more work too. Quote said I should use some alien tiles, and the SoAlien tiles worked best in this case. I'd probably go back and refine said tiles so they match the surfaces better, but hey ho.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=June 2]An elevating room with an elevating tileset. Structure and palettes are on point, but you shade out some of the bricks/rocks on the sides, and then they meet full brightness with the bricks again. It looks a little strange imo.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=July]I think this room needs a lot of work, because I can't tell what's going on. There are a few odd tiling errors, as well as some tiles missing/some parts unfinished. Also, that huge splodge in the middle may look good in-game, but not for a room display.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=August]A GBA room I actually like. Nice work! The background is lovely and the room is well laid out. The blue circles are a little strange though.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=September]A lovely room, and the blue works a lot better in this one. I like the addition of plants and fauna. What's with the red patches though?[/spoiler]
[spoiler=October 1]This room deserves a place among the greats. The tilework, layout-wise and graphically, is beautiful. The background works around the foreground. Why didn't you use the pillars in the rest of the room though?[/spoiler]
[spoiler=October 2]A throne fit for a king. The tiles are great to look at, as well as the shading. However the rocks are a little weird and don't suit the room, especially with the red. It might be better to make the room entirely out of bricks.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=November]Damn, I like this so much! The room is well laid out, the bricks look nice, and the background sky blows me away. Maybe the filler could be a little more interesthing though.[/spoiler]

Nice work everyone! I'm glad ROTM worked out well this year.  :^_^:

Hackmi

Crying in my sleep Jiffy didn't like the rocks I made someone pls help omg jiffy ur a meanie bully
Mccad in June was my favourite because the colours really worked amazingly well, the background sucks horribly though (its boring)