News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Project Zero Suit

Started by Munchy, January 21, 2020, 03:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munchy

heya,

I'm biting the bullet :) I've decided to make Samus in Zero suit.  Can't promise it'll be a quick project but I'll throw stuff at it when I have the time!

BEHOLD! Pose1!

[EDIT V:3.0]

[EDIT]

[EDIT V2.0]
Further to comments

[/EDIT]

[V1.0]

If any experienced pixel artists wanna contribute, I'm open to sharing out poses. 
important note:
Unlike the Justin Bailey model, I'm going to use a lot of modified versions of Samus' power armor (hence why she has big boots). This should help to keep the hit boxes similar and make the whole process less difficult[.

I hasten to add, this is the lightning pose (ie. when samus is surrounded by bolts of lightning) which is extremely limited. I had to do a lot of juggling to squeeze this pose into VRAM

FelixWright

that honestly looks like the fusion suit without a helmet instead of the zero suit.

One of the reasons it looks that way is it looks like her shoulders go above her collar bones like fusion's did

Also the fact that she has an arm cannon and not an emergency pistol

K4yr4h

Munchy

fair, I'll limit the shoulder pads. I need it to stay reasonably large.

Munchy

Ok, with shoulders reduced.

I also don't want a pure like-for-like zero suit. I'd like something that still works with her hand cannon and that will map to her existing model reasonably well. That way the IPS will be able to use the same hit box by default.

I hasten to add, this new image is the lightning pose which is extremely limited. I had to do a lot of juggling to squeeze this pose into VRAM

K4yr4h

why should the hitbox change when you make her slim?

Munchy

consider that the smaller you make her, the more invisible pixels will exist around her body that still enable Samus to take damage when her model hasn't actually been hit by something.
Evidently you're not a fan, I think she looks cool like this.  I need to model the upper thigh a little more.

FelixWright

Quote from: Munchy on January 22, 2020, 03:43:50 AM
consider that the smaller you make her, the more invisible pixels will exist around her body that still enable Samus to take damage when her model hasn't actually been hit by something.
Evidently you're not a fan, I think she looks cool like this.  I need to model the upper thigh a little more.

This already happens in SM, and even in other Metroid games. It'd be too computationally expensive to perform pixel-perfect hitboxes. If it becomes enough of a hassle you could just adjust the hitboxes to account for it. For example, because X-Fusion uses the Metroid Fusion samus sprite, Metaquarius changed samus' hitbox to be 2 tiles tall.

Munchy

Yeah I know; I was aiming to work with something approximating the default model for a reason though:
Samus' power armour has a lot of very good frames that i'd rather modify rather than work from scratch.   That's why I'm keen to keep her to a reasonably similar scale in statue pose.  In any case, I'm doing some more work on her and she's looking a lot closer to the mark now.

Munchy

The good news is I managed to get her a lot closer now. Took a lot of pixel fine-tuning but finally figured it out

[EDIT V:3.0]

[EDIT]

based on the following images

luckily she wears heels in some of the pictures which helps keep the legs long

Chemical-X

It looks good, trim down her sides abit, and work on her hips some more, this sprite sheet should give you more ideas on how to replicate her into super metroid.

K4yr4h

she looks good on the sheet. not as chubby. i think the suit is a little too greenish though

Munchy

I'm sorry but I disagree. In zero mission she looks like a child; I always hated that design. I can't in good faith design her like that. If you want a stick woman, someone else can design her.  Sorry to put my foot down but the image of Samus I designed is a thin woman. If you want an anorexic woman or a child, you can design it.

K4yr4h

Munchy

Quote from: K4yr4h on January 23, 2020, 07:57:38 AM
Do you understand english?

Sorry I thought you were referring to the zero suit design from Metroid Zero Mission when you said "sheet" :) wires crossed, my bad!

Cool, yeah I agree with you about the suit color being too green.  She's also a bunch brighter in the game than I expected so I'm probably gonna need to dull her down to stop her looking like she's glowing!

@Chemical-X I don't agree with trimming her sides down. she looks really weird if you do.  remember, one pixel is a significant chunk of flesh on a 16-bit game character.

nodever2

I imagine this resprite will go well with this patch.
Best of luck Munchy!

mccad

Study female anatomy and then try again.

Munchy

No i have a better idea. I don't do any more for this community. Having been shit on for doing free work, by you and the person that just got banned for using pejorative language for literally no reason.  Your home lives must be fascinating. Enjoy yourselves. Bye.

FelixWright

mccad

Quote from: Munchy on January 23, 2020, 06:44:18 PM
No i have a better idea. I don't do any more for this community. Having been shit on for doing free work, by you and the person that just got banned for using pejorative language for literally no reason.  Your home lives must be fascinating. Enjoy yourselves. Bye.
i wasnt shitting on you i was literally just suggesting that you study anatomy. It's genuinely very useful if you plan on drawing human figures, even in pixel art.

MetroidMst

Wow way to go guys. Maybe learn to do constructive criticism rather than smear poop all over the place. If you don't like what is being made, and the response to your "suggestions" is no, then be done with it and move on. This is not that hard of a concept to grasp.

K4yr4h

your fuse is pretty short, you should do some exercise outside ;)

also doing something "for the community" is rarely a good approach. mainly you should do it for yourself and when you are done and happy with it you can release it.

If you go to the forums and ask for feedback, the flaws will be slapped in your face and internet was never a very sensitive space.

"learn anatomics"
is still a retarded reply.

as said she looks good now.

Zhs2

I blame mccad for bringing this thread to my attention, but if you're still around to read this I notice no one has seen fit to mention that the suit as you have currently drawn it looks like it has been air-inflated.

Munchy

1) I wasn't looking for feedback, i was looking for contributors.
2) The zero suit actually has many shapes and forms across Nintendo's franchise
3) her loading pose is one of the most limited in the tile sheet. see munchtroid for why. I'm not sure if you'd get her into there like that without adjusting a bunch of stuff.
4) I exercise nearly every day. I'm not angry, I'm not really surprised either.  I just don't feel any incentive to work on a project where people feel entitlement to free software. I'm a software developer, I do this for fun. If it isn't fun, I don't do it.

In the nicest possible way. I actually think that model looks kind of like something out of the Jetsons. I also don't think it reflects the aesthetic of SM.  I still prefer mine, but there you go.  Seems like you're on top of it, so good luck.