News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

K438-B (HTML5 mini metroid like game

Started by BlunT76, May 25, 2019, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlunT76

A new planet has been discovered: K-438 B
We need information about living organisms and potential threats.
Explore the planet!
Good luck!!
--------------------------------------------------
Collectable Power Up:
4 Weapons + 3 Fire rate bonus
11 Energy Pack
4 New Capacity

https://blunt76.itch.io/k-438b

The map is tiny, so enemies have a lot of hp to make things a little harder, game can be finished in less than 15mn.
This a first test with phaser3, i wanted to know how big i can size room, i'm working the next version with rooms/doors like super-metroid.
Any advice/suggestion welcome
Thanks

VacantShadeGames

Nice project!
I believe I made it through the whole thing, though I could not beat the final boss. I found all the items though.

What I like:
[spoiler]

+Good visuals for early development.
+Nice puzzle involving the water monster. Being able to finally come back and beat it was very satisfying.
+There were a nice amount of surprises: Water monster, sudden boss appearance, lava trap, ect.
+While the game seemed linear, backtracking or exploring revealed quite a few alternate routes.
+Each boss felt pretty different.

[/spoiler]

Some general observations:
[spoiler]

- Right off, the physics seem like they need some work. Jump height is not always consistent. If you hit a ceiling, you continue to hover until you would fall, which seems strange. Also, trying to do the launch jump seemed inconsistent sometimes. I got hit by the first boss several times be cause it would only do the regular jump instead.
- While the game has good visuals, there is an inconsistency, especially with the enemies. I like the sharp pixel art you have for the player and environments. If you can, changing the "bees" and bosses to match would be a good idea. But worry about the rest of the engine for now! :^_^:
- If you know about it, you can bomb into the left wall while fighting the first boss, and shoot him safely from inside. This seems too easy.
- Where and when you can fire seems to have some arbitrary limits. For example, you can't fire upwards while moving. Having the ability to aim and shoot nearly anywhere anytime would be nice.
- The elevator is a nice touch but needs work. Sometimes it would move, sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would get stuck upwards and I would have to launch jump into it to call it down. It would be nice if it was a bit more intuitive, or had controls, like pressing up to send it upwards, down for downwards, ect.
- Having larger explosions for the bombs would be nice. If you are in a small passage and trying to break a block above you, you still have to try and jump and time the bomb so it will be right next to the block. A larger explosion would make this better.

[/spoiler]

Errors I encountered:
[spoiler]

- Various graphical issues. It seems that sometimes there is a thin vertical line that appears on the edges of textures, like the player. Could be a browser issue though.
- Similarly, sometimes the water would have a thin line between it and the tiles.
- I could use the upwards launch jump while in ball mode. Is that intentional?
- You can glitch through floors by starting a launch jump and then immediately releasing the jump button but continue holding the down button. It's not 100% consistent, but once I figured it out, I could glitch it pretty easily.
- You can drop through the elevator by tapping down a few times, but maybe this is intentional?
- You can't jump while riding the elevator.
- If you shoot where you bullet would spawn inside the elevator, it will just sit there for a little while and then disappear.

[/spoiler]

Overall, a nice start!
If anything, I would recommend focusing on polishing the physics of the player character first. :^_^:

BlunT76

Hi VacantShadeGames,
Thanks for your feedback, i really appreciate!!
- For the bees and boss inconsistency, effectively they are not made by the same artist, i am not graphist so finding matching free assets is complicated :/
- Same for fire in all direction while moving, i don't have the player sprite to go with.
- Upwards launch jump while in ball mode is intentional, you need this to reach some areas. i will modify the sprite animation.
- Elevator is already fixed for future versions, but you are right, really buggy as it is now(5s timer, shoot it with basic weapon to call it, not very intuitive :/)
- Well done for the door glitch, did not know about :)

Polishing player physics added to my todo list!
Thanks a lot :)

Edit:
fix: reduced hp of the first enemies
fix: jump inconsistency
fix: bombs destroy more easily upper blocks

BlunT76

New version of K438-B just released. Let me me know what you think about.
https://blunt76.itch.io/k438-b-beta