News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Tallon IV Tours: Chozo Ruins Rumble

Started by dewhi100, August 30, 2019, 01:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewhi100

Get ready to rumble...

Starting with the elevator room at the Ruin's entrance and extending through to the Sunchamber, this is a map of Metroid Prime's Chozo Ruins, in SNEStroid 2D.

It is somewhat condensed compared to the GCN game- all the boring tunnels are gone, and save rooms have merged into the rooms they were connected to. Other "main" rooms have been combined as well, when I felt it appropriate. The route diverges slightly as a result, early in the game.

I hope you enjoy your stay on Tallon IV!

[spoiler=Image Gallery]
[spoiler=Map Room][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Ruined Nursery][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Transport Access North][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Vault][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Ruined Shrine][/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Patch Credits]
BF's Tractor Beam
BF's Dark World Blocks
Metaquarius' Kraid Flip
Phospho's Skip Intro
BF's Arboretum Tileset
BF's Chain Blocks
JAM's Message box patch
SadiKej Spinjump Restart
GF_Kennon's Tallon IV GFX
PJ's Demo recorder
Quote's time and percentage tracking

Integrated but not (yet) used:
Quote's Boost Ball
[/spoiler]

LexyChan

That Flaahgra fight was actually genius...I felt special finding out how it worked.

Overall fun to play and a neat little peak on what this hack can achieve.

UDtheAesir

That was a good one with Kraid, took me a while to figure it out. Where do I find Supers, PBs and Grapple? Seeing the blocks for them.

dewhi100

Quote from: LexyChan on September 01, 2019, 09:21:20 PM
That Flaahgra fight was actually genius...I felt special finding out how it worked.
Quote from: UDtheAesir on September 05, 2019, 01:28:02 AM
That was a good one with Kraid, took me a while to figure it out.

Thanks, it's ripped off from the GCN fight, where you need to bomb the "roots" in order to win.

Quote from: UDtheAesir on September 05, 2019, 01:28:02 AM
Where do I find Supers, PBs and Grapple? Seeing the blocks for them.

In OG Prime, you don't get supers until the Phendrana Drifts, and pbs/grapple until the Phazon Mines. This section of the Chozo Ruins takes place beforehand.

So, there are no supers or pbs or grapple at this point in the game, and the items locked behind those blocks should be unobtainable.

You can get 100% without any glitches or advanced techniques, and 156% with.

UDtheAesir

Aw man, while that's understandable, was hoping for more as always! Good job, dude.

DonnyDonovan

So is this the beginning of a much larger project to finally bring the world of Prime to 2D?  Because that seems like it would be really awesome.

dewhi100

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 06, 2019, 12:27:06 AM
So is this the beginning of a much larger project to finally bring the world of Prime to 2D?  Because that seems like it would be really awesome.

"Finally" is right- truly, it would be awesome. Sadly, that kind of project seems almost "cursed" at this point, given the glacially slow progress on MP2D, and the failed project undertaken by our own heavy hitters here in MetConst (although the assets left behind are appreciated. Hello, Boost Ball). I even privately named this project "Not Chozo Ruins" during development so as not to hype myself up too much...

I do have a vision for how I would personally build the game out in it's entirety, as if I was Deer Force and planned to make MP instead of Super/remade Prime with references and homages to Super (i.e. including beam stacking and Spazer), but I don't want to fall into that classic trap:

"OMG MetConst, I have the best idea for a hack, someone make it plz?"
[spoiler]They were promptly told off, and never seen again...[/spoiler]

If enough people see potential in this and have the means/interest, I'll definitely attempt to collaborate on/contract out the pieces I don't want to deal with (the art and to a lesser but still significant extent the ASM) to the community.

As it is, I next plan to tackle Phendrana. Who knows how long that will take, or if I am able to complete AND feel like completing it (the bosses and items will take serious coding, like Kraid-grah x100. You can see my forum post about putting SBAs into super missiles for example, which is just the tip of the ASM iceberg).

All said, hopefully, we have not seen the last of the Tallon IV tourism industry.

UDtheAesir

Quote from: dewhi100 on September 06, 2019, 02:25:44 AM
Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 06, 2019, 12:27:06 AM

"Finally" is right- truly, it would be awesome. Sadly, that kind of project seems almost "cursed" at this point, given the glacially slow progress on MP2D, and the failed project undertaken by our own heavy hitters here in MetConst (although the assets left behind are appreciated. Hello, Boost Ball). I even privately named this project "Not Chozo Ruins" during development so as not to hype myself up too much...

I do have a vision for how I would personally build the game out in it's entirety, as if I was Deer Force and planned to make MP instead of Super/remade Prime with references and homages to Super (i.e. including beam stacking and Spazer), but I don't want to fall into that classic trap:

"OMG MetConst, I have the best idea for a hack, someone make it plz?"
[spoiler]They were promptly told off, and never seen again...[/spoiler]

If enough people see potential in this and have the means/interest, I'll definitely attempt to collaborate on/contract out the pieces I don't want to deal with (the art and to a lesser but still significant extent the ASM) to the community.

As it is, I next plan to tackle Phendrana. Who knows how long that will take, or if I am able to complete AND feel like completing it (the bosses and items will take serious coding, like Kraid-grah x100. You can see my forum post about putting SBAs into super missiles for example, which is just the tip of the ASM iceberg).

All said, hopefully, we have not seen the last of the Tallon IV tourism industry.

Can't wait!

benox50

This is pretty interesting, [spoiler]that kraid[/spoiler] I would like to see phazon mines in action with animated tiles and stuff. Also the crashed frigate with actual angled rooms