News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Sparkle

Happy 4th of july everyone. Be safe with the fireworks!

Flower

Tomorrow I'm gonna invite some friends to finally play super star wars 1-3. Wish us Luck  :^_^:

dewhi100

I was able to buy Hollow Knight for a good price during the Steam sale... A very, very good metroidvania title where you play as a bug. At any given point up until the absolute endgame when I had cleared everything out, I could think of at least two or three new things I could try/places i could reach just off the top of my head. Whenever I started feeling that I'd seen it all, is break into a vast new area. Each of the many zones all have their own distinct theme and they transition smoothly into one another. The story and NPCs are awesome as well.

You really come to appreciate the world as another character, much the same way you do Zebes. There are dozens of collectibles that give all kinds of fun bonuses, and you can't equip then all at once. So you get a lot of replayability with different play styles, too. And for the completionists, take note: there are no "unfair" secrets. Just keep your eyes open.

Includes speed run and completion achievements, and a permadeath mode. The combat difficulty is perfect and the bosses are really creative.

Anyway, I can't recommend it highly enough. Look it up.

Digital_Mantra

Yeah Hollow Knight was terrific. Definitely one of the better metroidvanias out there.

What did you guys get on the summer sale?
Salt & Sanctuary, Dark Souls II, Bastion, Transistor, Thumper, Skullgirls, Primordia, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Decent haul this sale, didn't feel like buying more than I'd play which I probably did. Still got games from the last sale I haven't even started.

Quietus

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on July 04, 2017, 11:37:04 PMStill got games from the last sale I haven't even started.
This probably applies to 90% of my Steam library. :neutral:

This time round, I got:

The Room
The Room 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Submerged
Shardlight
Song of the Deep
Parvaneh
Mad Bullets

Zero One

Quote from: Quietus on July 05, 2017, 02:20:15 PM
Beyond Good and Evil

yeeeesssss

I, meanwhile, have bought no games during the sale because I'm broke! The joys of putting money away for future purchases.

Quietus

Ha, technically I didn't really spend any real money, as it was still part of the £150 I had accrued from selling all of the cards from my games.

Zero One

You got £150 from selling cards? Shit, I might have to sell mine.

Quietus

Yeah, it wasn't even much effort. I used Idle Master to get them, then just spent a few minutes a day listing them, and waited for the pennies to come in. It soon mounted up. You'll occasinally get some of the shinies, which I've sold for anything up to £5 for one card. The only drawback is that because it's faking you playing games, you'll bugger up your store suggestions and whatnot for a while. It's worth a look. :^_^:

Digital_Mantra

Yeah I was a few cents short of some games and wanted to try selling those cards, but the 14 day wait made it pointless. Maybe I'll be prepared next sale.

Quietus

Ah, I didn't have that problem. I remember reading about it, but have the Steam app on my phone, and you can list them immediately for sale by confirming them on there. :^_^:

Steel Sparkle

You can also use a steam desktop version like i do but you will need a phone that can receive SMS.

DSO

As of today I have official confirmation that my car is owned by me and not by the bank anymore!

thedopefish

Does that make you Definitely a Sedan Owner?

Congrats on one less source of debt :)

Quietus

Glad to hear, DSO. I'd never say I enjoy driving much, but I do enjoy having my own car. I always felt like it's an extension of the house, with my own stuff in it, and it's always satisfying to be able to get in when it's been chucking it down with rain. :^_^:

Retroo

Quote from: Quietus on September 05, 2017, 04:21:31 PM
Glad to hear, DSO. I'd never say I enjoy driving much, but I do enjoy having my own car. I always felt like it's an extension of the house, with my own stuff in it, and it's always satisfying to be able to get in when it's been chucking it down with rain. :^_^:
5000 posts coming up!

liamnajor

still 860 to go. well, make that 859

Digital_Mantra

Speaking of numbers, 300 days sober futha muckas!

Quietus

That's great news, DMan, and you're so close to a year now. Go, go, go! :cheers:

Quote from: Retroo on September 05, 2017, 05:09:29 PM
5000 posts coming up!
Nah. I'm stopping now.

Doh! :oh:

A Dummy

So this game called "A Robot Named Fight" came out a couple of days ago, and playing it a bit I feel like it's something worth checking out at least.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/603530/A_Robot_Named_Fight/

It's basically a Metroidvania/Roguelike mash-up that successfully combines both genres, with things like having one bigger connected map to explore as opposed to it being split up into smaller levels that you can't revisit, and item gated progression like needing a certain kind of weapon to get through a door, it definitely has a Metroid like feel to it, while still having a randomized set of rooms, bosses, and power-ups to make multiple runs feel different.

Runs themselves will take about an hour to complete, maybe an hour and a half if you're wandering a bunch, which may be a bit short for some people wanting more of a deep exploration kind of experience that you'd typically get from a Metroidvania, but I think the short run time lends itself better to the roguelike aspect of it, making it more fit for multiple playthroughs. (And in retrospect, your average Super Metroid speedrun takes less than an hour anyway. :P )

My one initial nit-pick at least is that the spin-jumps in this game give you more forward momentum rather than vertical momentum, so it makes jumps feel rather floaty, but you can still do the thing of hitting "up" while in a spin-jump to make yourself stop so it's easy enough to play around.

While not necessarily super complex or ground breaking, for a budget $10 game made by one person I think it nets a solid 8/10 (Currently $7.50 until the 14th)
Definitely something to hold us over while waiting for Samus Returns to release.

Cloud20

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on September 05, 2017, 06:39:34 PM
Speaking of numbers, 300 days sober futha muckas!

Congrats Dman. Keep it up  :yay:

samusfan

Got it today for 44,99€ at Saturn in Germany. Is somebody here from Germany?
Mostly you can get games one day earlier in the stores here. Went at 4:00 PM into the store they already had it  :grin:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I died to the first metroid what a shame...  :whoa:

So far I love it!!!  :yay:

interdpth

Bought a house Friday, did some work on my hack after 8 months. Return of Samus is freaking great, when I went to get my Samus 3DS one of the game stop managers loudcapped the employee helping me out to make sure I preordeered the 3DS. Glad my fiance has a 3DS since this came with no charger. >_>

Quietus

Welcome to home ownership. It's a blessing and a curse. :^_^:

Steel Sparkle

Is anyone doing anything special for halloween this year?