News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katelyn

My two (erm, useless) cents on the child board:
---

Personally, I'd be pretty upset if my hack got put into the Newbie section, but
I get mad all the time, so

But really. Is anyone really going to check that board? Probably not, unless you're like,
squishy or somebody else who wants to help out (Realizing this is most of the forum...)

But, for somebody as rude as me, and who doesn't hack and just spends his time idling and
waiting for some seriously god-tier hacks to come out, I won't be checking that forum. AT ALL.

At least sometimes when it was one board I would (sometimes) check out the hack, in case it was
decent for me to play.

I don't mind the split boards, but just find them unneeded and frankly, upsetting to some new hackers.

This post is copyright by the Shadox Institute of Stupidity©, 2011-2012. All rights reserved. Violators will be prosecuted.

edit: 6 MOAR POSTS UNTIL 2 MISSILE TANKS BIATCHEZ

THE Purple Helmet

While there are alot of valid points made, it seems like everyone is focused on keeping things positive. When/if ever I create a hack topic it will have enough content to notice that much of it is not up to the same quality as hacks from the top members of the community and I will be looking for constructive criticism and other peoples ideas to turn it into something worthwhile. I would hope that any input would not be negative for sure

But I think that there needed to be some separation between hacks from people looking to take part in the community and receive input and hacks from people who discover SMILE and want to hear how cool they are for creating a square shaped room with the fraking ship in the middle of it.

I hate to see a new hack topic from a new user hoping I'll discover what unseen creativity it may hold just to find "I only have 2 rooms that suck but I thought up the best story and my hack will have everything everyone ever wanted in it! It will be awesome, I swear! Wont you tell me how great I am?" Add to that when said user gets defensive when offered constructive input if anyone suggests they are doing anything but creating the worlds most anticipated hack and I think that a shameful board for such hacks is justified.

As long as hacks like that are the only ones that end up there I think that putting them on the child board (or whatever it ends up being called) is a good thing. As long as it doesnt become a graveyard of initially low-quality hacks from people who are serious about their project and contains ONLY hacks from people who just arent serious or realistic it shouldnt cause anyone to leave or stay away from the website. In fact it will be nice to not have those projects clutter up the super metroid board for new and existing users alike

tldr;  Metconst is pretty fraking cool especially when you first discover it. Let's keep it cool by putting the posers in their place - the child board

edit: I never realized how people got missile tanks! haha

personitis

Sorry, but I don't think your first paragraph is quite clear enough. :\ Is what you're trying to say you're hack topic will have enough content so as not to be moved to the Newbie's Corner so as in an assertive manner? Or did you forget a word or two? Idk, seems worded a little weird to me. Either way, I catch your drift. However, keeping people happy is not the only focus. Trying to attract members and not be assholes about it is the other case. I'm pretty sure this place was created as a safe haven to get away from the M2K2 bull.

Another idea that popped into my head while thinking about the situation: have new members need so many posts before they can start a new thread. Example: New user has no posts, cannot create a topic in the hack forums. Once they have, say, about 10, then they're good to go. Reason behind this is that maybe it will offer them time to read rules or catch on to what we want before they start.

Be enough of that, I'll leave the situation to discussion and no longer debate. I don't want to make this a humongous deal.

In other news, I walked through my front door this afternoon and my bro almost beat the crap outta of me because he though I was some stranger walking in. XD

Also, happy belated birthday to Digital_Mantra and BorderJumper. :)

THE Purple Helmet

Yeah I guess that 1st paragraph was worded weird. I blame it on the late hour.

What I was trying to say is that while my current material is noticeably low quality, it is also a serious project that I would want input on and therefore would belong on the super metroid hack board so I can refine what I have and receive input from the community or eventually offer something worthwhile that people would enjoy playing. I was trying to distinguish where to draw the line on what hacks belong in the newbie corner - point in play that low-quality doesnt mean newbie corner material. Unless I am understanding it wrong, it seems the newbie corner was created for hack topics from people who arent serious or realistically making an effort and not based on the quality of a hack at all.

And that is the end of my 2 cents on that

Lunaria

What's the avatar limits again? I could not find them in the rules section! :smileyspam:

Oh well, my traditional avatar style had to go to make room for... PONIES! :3

GF_Kennon

Dear MetConst

I grant you one (reasonable) wish, you have 3 hours and 15 mins to persuade me to pick your wish or w/e.

Yeah I'm bored~

Zhs2

Quote from: Crys
What's the avatar limits again? I could not find them in the rules section! :smileyspam:
There really isn't since the board will just resize or outright reject avatars that don't fit the criteria. However, the biggest they can be are 124x124.

Qactis

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on May 10, 2011, 08:58:54 PM
Just as Zknight7126 has recently played M2, so have I this month.

I also recently played M2 after accusing it of sucking. I lied. M2 is awesome. Tons of enemies, tons of new powerups, interesting concept, and creepy atmosphere.

Zhs2

FUCK YEAH TERRARIA

Quietus

I can see a Minecraria topic appearing shortly.

THE Purple Helmet

Quote from: GF_Kennon on May 16, 2011, 03:51:58 PM
Dear MetConst

I grant you one (reasonable) wish, you have 3 hours and 15 mins to persuade me to pick your wish or w/e.

Yeah I'm bored~

So it's um less than 3 hours and 15 mins later if you dont count the 2 days since your original post....how bout a new tileset? I would be able to put something of good quality to good use as I have no skill in making tilesets whatsoever!

Charmander106

Happy B-Day Qactis!!  :awesome:

I know squishy is the one who is suppose to do this but...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'm surprised nobody has said something yet...

Crashtour99

* Crashtour99 is patiently waiting for this rapture thing to kick off.

So, how long before the zombie apocalypse starts?  Anyone know the complete events schedule?

zephyrtronium

The zombie apocalypse doesn't worry me much. After all, the CDC has a zombie plan.

squishy_ichigo

Rapture After Party!

Quietus

I just love the way that the fool was certain that his first prediction, in 1994, was correct, and as soon as it had passed, he said that he must have miscalculated.  So, what stops him just doing it again after today is done?

personitis

Last night was actually suppose to be the start of the end of the world, but... *yawn* I didn't care. I was too busy having fun at prom last night. :D On top of this, I have 3 days of high school left and I'm about ready to leave the hell hole of a school it's turning into.

Quietus

As far as I understand, it was actually on the Rapture that was supposed to take place.  The end of the world was supposed to be five months later, in October.

How are they even defining the end of the world?  The end of mankind?  The end of all life?  The destruction of the planet itself?

FullOfFail

I'm personally not religious, but if I were, I'd look at it from the perspective of: when you die you get judged anyway, right? So what's the difference if the rapture takes place tomorrow, or if you just die normally tomorrow? Besides, if you're a Christian, you shouldn't be speculating this stuff nor listening to other people whom predict it. It's called following/being a false-prophet.

Borderjumper67

I agree. Me being a Christian, I've never believe in this False-prophet bullshit.
never had, never will.  :lol:

I did how ever look outside to see IF the moon was glowing a eerie red.
Why? I'm just weird like that. :p

ProjectXVIII

Quote from: Borderjumper67 on May 23, 2011, 09:29:22 PM
I did how ever look outside to see IF the moon was glowing a eerie red.
Why? I'm just weird like that. :p

Better watch out for that double spawn rate if it ever does.

Only a handful of people will get that joke.

Zhs2

Quote from: Project XVIII
Better watch out for that double spawn rate if it ever does.
You forgot the part where enemies can break into your house.

Digital_Mantra

The only bad that came from this rapture bullshit was people moronic enough to euthanize their pets.
They must feel like shit right now. I hope they do.
/talk of the day

Oh and my revised version of Eris will be available very soon.
Didn't want to bump my hack thread for an update till it was done.
Most people would likely read it here anyways.
Changes will be:
[spoiler]*Many rooms have had subtle aesthetic changes. Some much more obvious than others.
*A few areas that had complaints are now easier to get through.
*Beginning is more linear until you get morph. Also more linear until you get bombs. This reduces getting too far ahead of yourself.
*Main upgrade progression is less linear after bombs. This reduces the amount of backtracking.
example: You don't need grapple to get charge, you don't need supers to get spazer, you don't need powerbombs to get ice, etc.
*A few graphical changes to the map and stuff.
*The 'last report' lore is changed entirely.
*Some enemies take less damage.
*Important upgrades and pathways have better hints.
*Some other shit..

Basically, there was stuff that bugged me since release. And now that some are carting it,
I want to make it a game where you can rely on savestations rather than savestates.
[/spoiler]

Parabox

Atheism: A non-prophet organization.

herald83

Atheist Trolling Tactics:

My cousin and a friend of his were talking about going to a bunch of local thrift shops and snapping up a ton of cheap pants, shirts, shoes, etc., and then leaving conspicuously empty piles of clothing around on street corners and such.  I dunno if they actually went through with it.  Maybe I should call him...