News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borderjumper67

California huh?
Well..At least hes safe :)

squishy_ichigo

Hi

edit: Yeah, so APPARENTLY people expect me to explain stuff or something, shame there isn't a lot to talk about.

I left, didn't tell anyone, then came back. There ya go kiddies.

Sorry for making you worry about me, I feel quite a bit embarrassed about it now, but that'll pass. :P

Quietus

Well, if you deliberately left without informing anybody, then I assume you had something you needed to do or get away from, so I hope it sorts itself out, whatever it is.  Welcome back. :^_^:

begrimed

The least you could do is tell us what you went to go do and stuff. C'mon.

FullOfFail

Although I'm really curious as to what exactly you were thinking/doing. I'll respect your privacy. But please, don't do that anymore. Whether you realize it or not, alot of people, including myself, care about you.

squishy_ichigo

I normally do not fall into these kinds of social traps, but eh....

[spoiler=A list of the first 30 songs that played on my music player on random]
First 30 Songs
Song - Composer/Artist (Album/Clarification)

Omnislash - Fishy (Voices of the Lifestream)
Boss Medley - Stemage (Metroid Metal)
Don't Be Afraid (Orchestra Version) - Nobuo Uematsu (FF8 OST)
Silent Life - Yuki Kajiura (.hack//sign OST)
Slothrazor Strings - Cerrax (The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle)

Sanctuary - Matt Uelmen (Diablo II OST)
Aeroplane - Red Hot Chili Peppers (One Hot Minute)
Monumental Montage - Begrimed (Playing It By Ear)
Braving the Flames - Adhesive Boy (Relics of the Chozo)
My Minute - Electric Concerto (Reserve Tanks VARIAations)

zippic - Digital Mantra (Montrique Viral Session)
Ohiru no Gunman to Makka na Odoriko - Yoshimori Makoto (Baccano! OST)
Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec - Nobuo Uematsu (FF8 OST)
Cold in the Galaxy - Cyril the Wolf (The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle)
Fallen Angel (TV Size) - Aimee B (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt OST)

Dotii Iv. 2027 - Digital Mantra (Vincula)
Stone Eyes - Shnabubula (Voices of the Lifestream)
Abyss of Despair - Jun Abe (Fruits Basket OST)
Protoss Theme 4 - Glenn Stafford (Starcraft OST)
Ripple - Kishida Kyoudan & The Myoujou Rocket (Highschool of the Dead OST)

Haista Vittu Trombi Mies - Geckoyamori (The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle)
Force Your Way - Nobuo Uematsu (FF8 OST)
Sora iro Days - Nakagawa Shouko (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann OST)
All of Australia - Stemage (Strati)
Stone, Paper, Scissors - Ralph Vickers (The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle)

Bear - Yuki Kajiura (.hack//sign OST)
Radio Free Zerg - Glenn Stafford (Starcraft OST)
Rock Show - Blink 182 (Take Off Your Pants and Jacket)
Norfair Deathmarch - Mazedude (Symphony of Samus)
VWIII - Digital Mantra (Varian Waves)
[/spoiler]

Yeah, that's right, and for some reason I find it necessary to share it with you.

Quietus

I sometimes listen to the odd song, but it's bad for my reclusive hermit image. :^_^:

personitis

1. The past month has been me being addicted to Minecraft. I finally decided to check up what it was and... well, everyone probably knows where it went from there.
2. Listening to the Ultimate Showdown after some odd years of not hearing it.
3. YuGiOh regionals tournament this weekend. W00t! /nerd
4. 29 days left until graduation.
5. Apple juice is good.
6. Yes, I felt the list necessary.

FullOfFail

Person, if you've been playing alot of MC, come play on Zeke's server with us :D

Scyzer

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html

Thoughts?
Personally, a next-gen Nintendo system intrigues me (I don't think of a wii as next-gen, because of it's limits of games and style). I'm liking the screen in controller idea, but that would depend how it's used. Supposedly as a touch screen function to do stuff?

Quietus

Sounds OK to me.  The idea of it being full HD is kinda redundant, since that's now 'the norm'.  The touch screen idea could be either good or bad, and I suspect it'd be more game dependent than anything else.  Games using the touch screen for any form of menu navigation would be fine, but games that expected you to play like it would be another thing.

Oh, and I'm glad they're acknowledging those that they ignored for the entire life of the Wii - the gamers.  Thanks Nintendo. :neutral:

Hiroshi Mishima

If I can do what I do now via HomeBrew Channel, I'd be willing to give the new console a try. However, I plunked down the money for a 360 just before Christmas, so I won't be getting it anytime soon. I've still gotta finish saving up for a new computer, and then for Comic-Con (already got tickets last year, just need some running money). And before I touch any new consoles, I want to see how far the 3DS will drop in price so I can eventually pick it up for Paper Mario and Phoenix Wright and whatever other series I follow are on it.

However, I do feel that Quietus has a point. Nintendo's been ignoring the people who actually use their products and instead seem to be trying for as wide an audience as possible. I can understand this from a business standpoint, but it certainly hurts both their image, and the respect gamers have for them. A company that loses the respect of its core audience doesn't last too long... although we've seen these things before, so hopefully Nintendo's learned their lesson. *stifles laughter*

In any event.. the thought of a more realistic Mario does intrigue me. But I worry about how they're going to handle it. The 3DS hasn't exactly been stellar insofar as I'm concerned. Neither in price, nor in what I've seen of it. (My cousin has one).

Zhs2

Wait, what? What the fuck are you guys talking about, Nintendo ignoring the people who use their products? I thought the whole purpose was to cater to the people, although if you guys are referring to Other M then I can see your point. This is the only one bad thing, though, and their other stuff has been pretty cool on the whole. Nintendo is completely capable of making games, games that are not fucking sandbox FPSes that you can play around with unique controls in and have fun with.

EDIT: Shitting on your customers by restricting the use of paid-for products is certainly something I haven't seen from Nintendo, either. Plus, graphics don't make the games. What's the problem here? :neutral:

Quietus

I can't speak for the others, but by 'ignoring the gamers' I meant that they sold their souls to the family / party-game shite brigade.  Having 100 games, and having 95 of them be cruddy, suitable-for-your-grandparents-too games is not the way to maintain a loyal following.  They'll jump on board now, 'cause it's popular, but as soon as the next machine comes along, they're not going to be buying in 'because it's Nintendo, who I've loved for years', like their fans will.  They'll just ignore it.  Very few games on the Wii (as a percentage) are quality, PROPER games.  Compare that percentage with the N64, for example, and it's saddening.

Also, I think it's ridiculous that we're only just getting one of the fans' favourites - Skyward Sword - and they're talking about their next machine. :O_o:  This actually bugs me with most of the consoles: The developers just start to get to grips with what the platform is capable of, and they move the tech forward.

Silver Skree

These two are completely different. Enjoy them both or DIE.

Hiroshi Mishima

Pretty much what Quietus said, I think. But expanding upon it... at least for me:

I mean, as much as I didn't really enjoy the N64, it certainly had a lot of games, and more than a few were pretty darn good. I felt rather the same way about the GameCube following it. In both cases it was less "no good games" and more "not enough games I'm interested in." But the Wii? Hooo gods, I just like.. browse the Wii games section and go "wow, where's the games intended for gamers? There's like.. what.. maybe a dozen?" If it weren't for HomeBrew I'd still be letting my Wii collect dust.

And while there are certainly some decent games beyond that scope, they're either ports (and often poor ones), or they fall flat in some way due to failing to live up to the concept or just being incredibly disappointing. Ala Epic Mickey and Other M, respectively.

As for my comment earlier.. it's rather directed at the seemingly high cost of Nintendo products in the later years. The Wii, by all definitions, was extremely cheap.. but made up for it by charging insane amounts for controllers and games (which has now become the trend for all gaming, rather than the exception, sadly). Then we get like 3 versions of the DS, and while the second one may have been necessary at some point, the third one was absolutely unnecessary. Much of the functionality of the DSi went on to become part of the 3DS (which is essentially yet another version of the DS at a much higher price) so it was like "Why'd you guys release the DSi just to one-up it like a year or so later?" In fact, the more I fiddled with the 3DS, the more it felt like I was mucking around on a handheld Wii with cameras.. influenced by both the 3DS' menu & Miis, as well as several of the games I've heard about.

Back to the original point: The last sentence Quietus says is actually what I said about the current generation, and to a lesser extent, the previous one. Although it is evident on all the consoles, up to a point.

Zhs2

Quote from: Quietus
I can't speak for the others, but by 'ignoring the gamers' I meant that they sold their souls to the family / party-game shite brigade.  Having 100 games, and having 95 of them be cruddy, suitable-for-your-grandparents-too games is not the way to maintain a loyal following. Very few games on the Wii (as a percentage) are quality, PROPER games. Compare that percentage with the N64, for example, and it's saddening.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Although these are probably not comprehensive listings, the Wii still manages a very respectable library nearing at least 100 titles PLUS 60 or so Wiiware original titles, very comparable to the Nintendo 64's listings. You're just not playing the right games. ;)

Quote from: Hiroshi MishimaBut the Wii? Hooo gods, I just like.. browse the Wii games section and go "wow, where's the games intended for gamers? There's like.. what.. maybe a dozen?"
Is gaming supposed to be fun, or is it a fashion statement?

Quote from: Hiroshi MishimaAnd while there are certainly some decent games beyond that scope, they're either ports (and often poor ones), or they fall flat in some way due to failing to live up to the concept or just being incredibly disappointing. Ala Epic Mickey and Other M, respectively.
Going to have to disagree here as well. Both were good games; Other M's story was completely dumb and should be ignored at all costs, but it otherwise played like any other Nintendo title. Epic Mickey feels relatively third party, sure, but it's not terrible. There's a lot to be said for third party garbage on the Wii anyway, but you get garbage with any console. The Wii's garbage just happens to focus on stupid party games in general. >_>

RealRed

Quote from: Hiroshi_MishimaThen we get like 3 versions of the DS,
As did we get three versions of the game boy advance. But that was okay because we got plenty of ports from the SNES, justifying these. right guys?

Quote from: Hiroshi_Mishimathe 3DS (which is essentially yet another version of the DS at a much higher price)
What did you try on your cousin's 3DS, the settings menu?
I'll be honest, the release titles for the 3DS are a bit lacking, maybe since there are no well known and loved first party titles from Nintendo. Instead we get submarine sims and splinter cell ports. This doesn't mean that the release of the 3DS was a mistake by Nintendo or anything. As far as I know, we have a solid setup of games coming from nintendo for the 3DS later this year. Paper mario? zelda port? starfox? super mario galaxy type game? kid motherfucking icarus? as well as others. Yeah, Nintendo didn't release 10 legit, well done titles on their release. they suck, lets go play modern warfare 2.

Quietus: Gee, yeah, what the fuck is ninendo thinking? only two zelda games in the entire console life? wow, that's sickening. that's even worse than the snes, it had link to the past.

I would like to thanks zeke for helping me find this nintendo sux debate so I could contribute to the brawl.

squishy_ichigo

Nintendo made Super Metroid, so how could they suck?

Zhs2

It's not so much a statement of "Nintendo roolz" (aside from maybe Bloodsonic's post) but I can think of things other gaming companies have done worse than Nintendo, surely. Just because Nintendo doesn't, or didn't, decide to cater strictly to 'hardcore gamers' doesn't mean the current generation consoles they put out are terrible, just like it doesn't strictly make the XBox 360 or PS3 bad for the opposite reasons (although Sony does have a good history of trying to instill fear because it hates its customers.)

Quietus

I wasn't suggesting that the games they have released are poor, just that they're drowned in a sea of rubbish.  I was saying that the ratio of shite games to the good ones is very high compared to other systems, or at least that how it feels...  I could add that a number on that list are rereleases from the GameCube, but that's picking for the sake of it. :heheh:

Quote from: Bloodsonic on April 15, 2011, 11:03:12 PMQuietus: Gee, yeah, what the frak is ninendo thinking? only two zelda games in the entire console life? wow, that's sickening. that's even worse than the snes, it had link to the past.
Actually, the Wii has yet to have a Zelda game.  Twilight Princess is a GameCube game, and Skyward Sword is not out yet.  Also, crikey, what's with the bad attitude? :whoa:

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on April 15, 2011, 11:46:53 PMNintendo made Super Metroid, so how could they suck?
I was a Nintendo fan even before that, from way back when my brother and I used to visit a local shop after school and play Super Mario Bros. :^_^:

squishy_ichigo

I was totally poking fun at your silly conversation, that was all.

Carry on.

Lunaria

Quote from: Quietus on April 16, 2011, 09:38:23 AM
I wasn't suggesting that the games they have released are poor, just that they're drowned in a sea of rubbish.  I was saying that the ratio of shite games to the good ones is very high compared to other systems, or at least that how it feels...  I could add that a number on that list are rereleases from the GameCube, but that's picking for the sake of it. :heheh:
Did you ever check out the PS2 or the NES? :p

Honestly, you don't judge a system based on how much shit there is for it, you judge it based on how much good stuff there is for it. And while I do think the wii could do with some more games for it, it certainly have a whole lot more firstparty titles that are good compared to both the N64 and the GC.

You also have to understand that the wii was risky hardware for 3ed party to dev on before it got big, which is why most of the good/decent 3ed party games have been in later part of the wii's time span.

I can kinda understand why people feel let down by the wii, I do so myself, but nagging on the games is not what makes it bad, the wii got plenty of great games, and that's when looking at first party alone, I'm sure there are at least a few good 3ed party games out there.

Quote from: Quietus on April 16, 2011, 09:38:23 AMActually, the Wii has yet to have a Zelda game.  Twilight Princess is a GameCube game, and Skyward Sword is not out yet.  Also, crikey, what's with the bad attitude? :whoa:

I fail to see the point you're trying to make here. :/

Zelda games have always been few and long in betwen as they try and spice things up, remember the wait for OoT? The only reason the N64 had another one so fast was that they reused almost everything from the last one.

In an interview they even said that the reason the new zelda game have been taking a lot of time in the planning is due to the fact that they don't know quite how to get the most out of the hardware with it.

Also note, that while TP may have been made for GC hardware and such, it was released around the same time for both systems, so calling it a GC game and a wii port is certainly not a lie, I still would say that it's the wrong way to look at things. Most people only got one version based on the system they owned or what control scheme they wanted.

Also, to you faggots nagging on the 3DS:

GET A FUCKING LIFE!

The system have not even been out for a month yet (at least here.) and you people are already complaining about how much it suck?

Anyone expecting near launch titles to be of extreme quality and uses the full potentional of the system really have no clue how the industry works.

It's okay if you don't like it, I don't really care. But if you want to argue why the system is bad, at least provid some good points of argument.

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on April 15, 2011, 09:04:05 PMThen we get like 3 versions of the DS, and while the second one may have been necessary at some point, the third one was absolutely unnecessary. Much of the functionality of the DSi went on to become part of the 3DS (which is essentially yet another version of the DS at a much higher price) so it was like "Why'd you guys release the DSi just to one-up it like a year or so later?" In fact, the more I fiddled with the 3DS, the more it felt like I was mucking around on a handheld Wii with cameras.. influenced by both the 3DS' menu & Miis, as well as several of the games I've heard about.

A. We got four versions of the original game boy, three versions of the GBA, I fail to see your point. Saying that they are unnecessary are rather ignorant, sure, maybe they are, for you. But that does not mean the same applies for the rest of the market. The original DS was the base stuff, the lite was made to make it easier to drag around as well as making it look nicer. The DSi was made for people who most likely don't already own one to break into another market portion that are more focused on having the latest tech thing rather then the best gaming experince, which is why the GBA port was sloped. The XL version was made for people who wanted a bigger screen so they could see better. (Which is why my dad now owns a DS, the screen was to small before.)

The idea is not that you buy every single version of the same hardware, the idea is that you get the version you feel better match your needs.

B. The 3DS is NOT part of the same DS family. This may sound strange when looking at the name, but it's infact new hardware, and I'm not talking about the 3D screen stuff. I can agree that the price tag is shit, it's there for one reason alone: monopoly, and should be seen as such. I also don't see how the inclusion of the wiiware is suposed to support your view of argument, if you make a function that works, why should you NOT bring it to the next generation?

I can understand if you want to dislike the 3DS, I do to, but some solid points of argument are better. :/

Quietus

Quote from: Crys on April 16, 2011, 08:26:15 PMDid you ever check out the PS2 or the NES? :p
I'm not saying it's a new thing, just that all the time developers are wasting on rubbish is time that could be spent making better games. :razz:

Quote from: Crys on April 16, 2011, 08:26:15 PMHonestly, you don't judge a system based on how much shit there is for it, you judge it based on how much good stuff there is for it.
I agree, but my point is aimed more at how many MORE we could have had were they not focusing on so much garbage.

Quote from: Crys on April 16, 2011, 08:26:15 PM
Quote from: Quietus on April 16, 2011, 09:38:23 AMActually, the Wii has yet to have a Zelda game.  Twilight Princess is a GameCube game, and Skyward Sword is not out yet.  Also, crikey, what's with the bad attitude? :whoa:
I fail to see the point you're trying to make here. :/
Simply in response to Bloodsonic stating about the Wii having two Zelda games.  i.e. clarifying that it will actually be the first Wii Zelda.

Quote from: Crys on April 16, 2011, 08:26:15 PMAlso note, that while TP may have been made for GC hardware and such, it was released around the same time for both systems, so calling it a GC game and a wii port is certainly not a lie, I still would say that it's the wrong way to look at things. Most people only got one version based on the system they owned or what control scheme they wanted.
Indeed, most would have only purchased one or the other, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a GameCube game.  Wii functionality was added late in the game's development, most likely to fish for extra sales on a second console.

squishy_ichigo

A little snack for your brain to chew on: one mans trash is another mans treasure.