News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Cliffhanger Redux

Started by Digital_Mantra, April 26, 2016, 04:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaRmAgE

Quote from: InfestedRabite on September 14, 2016, 05:46:04 PM
Is there a way back to Eldridge that doesn't involve some serious IBJing? I've found the path that led up to it in the original Cliffhanger, after the 3rd Hell Run - but I'm not making it up that shaft with my current bag of tricks.

I used IBJ-into-HBJ, but I heard the way you're supposed to do it is walljump-into-HBJ.  I do not have the finger dexterity to walljump, morph, then lay a bomb quickly enough, though.  Doing IBJ with vanilla physics isn't too bad, since there's a large room for error in where you place each subsequent bomb; consider practicing it.

Just saw that you were able to make it.   Good job.

Quote from: InfestedRabite on September 14, 2016, 05:46:04 PM
[spoiler]Would love high jump boots but couldn't find the way through Melfad to grab them.[/spoiler]

You can't get that without Wave Beam.

Dynastyx

9:17, 87%

I was lazy and didn't get a few expansions, but I just wanted to see Tourian (was not let down!). Despite saying a final time of 9:17, I must have put nearly 25 hours into this hack, from dying here and there. Backtracking aside, I did scratch my head at various places at where to go next. Varia was a nice surprise, high jump boots made me jump for joy and gravity made me relax for the rest of the hack. Spent at least 2 hours to find and get Space Jump, it's only a shame I only found it when most of the game was done, could of been useful before lol

Had lots of fun playing this. The ending credits surprised me too. Well done DM!

Foxhound3857

I've got things like Walljumping and IBJ mastered, and can competently execute mockball/speedball and midair morphing, but I cannot do heat runs to save my life. Only 1 E-Tank, but even if I had more, this is miserable. How many rooms of this do I have to endure before I'm safe from this madness?

CaRmAgE

Quote from: Foxhound3857 on October 24, 2016, 05:19:24 PM
I've got things like Walljumping and IBJ mastered, and can competently execute mockball/speedball and midair morphing, but I cannot do heat runs to save my life. Only 1 E-Tank, but even if I had more, this is miserable. How many rooms of this do I have to endure before I'm safe from this madness?

I'm assuming you're talking about the 1st Hell run.  [spoiler=1st Hell run]There are 4 rooms to traverse, with the last one being a dead end with a major upgrade (so 7 rooms in total).  There is a pipe with respawning enemies in the 2nd room you can use to refill energy.[/spoiler]  It is definitely the hardest of the Hell runs, due to only having 1 Energy Tank.  It really requires remembering the path to avoid wasting time.

[spoiler=Pro tip (to avoid restarting as much)]You need to mockball in the third room on the way there, then speedball on the way back.[/spoiler]

Foxhound3857

Quote from: CaRmAgE on October 24, 2016, 05:39:05 PM
Quote from: Foxhound3857 on October 24, 2016, 05:19:24 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about the 1st Hell run.  [spoiler=1st Hell run]There are 4 rooms to traverse, with the last one being a dead end with a major upgrade (so 7 rooms in total).  There is a pipe with respawning enemies in the 2nd room you can use to refill energy.[/spoiler]  It is definitely the hardest of the Hell runs, due to only having 1 Energy Tank.  It really requires remembering the path to avoid wasting time.

[spoiler=Pro tip (to avoid restarting as much)]You need to mockball in the third room on the way there, then speedball on the way back.[/spoiler]

I made it that far, but I'm just about ready to give up on the speedballing part. I execute it PERFECTLY and it still drops, and I die. I don't seem to have a problem executing the Mockball, but when I do the Speedball, it just drops for no reason.

I made the escape ONCE, with 35 energy, and died right after by falling into the lava. I can't do extended events like this perfectly, I need a little room for error. And I REFUSE to savestate.

Edit: Okay, pulled off a successful speedball, still died because I made it out of the room with 33 energy, not enough time to reach the refill enemies even if I was frame perfect.

My energy still drains when I hit the refill station before the Speed Booster. Instead of 199, I disconnect with about 170. So my breakpoints look like this:

Disconnect from recharge station: 170 Energy
Enter SB room: 141 Energy
Exit SB room: 118 Energy
Escape: 33-35 Energy
Die before refills.

Edit 2: MADE IT! NO SAVESTATES! PROGRESS!

Aran;Jaeger

But that wasn't the real Cliffhanger hack :heheh: , and no, I'm also not talking about the ''Cliffhanger with saves'' hack.  :twisted:

On another note. ''Mastery'' of infinite bombjump techniques is on a whole different level unless you are only talking about the most basic vertical IBJ. Matrick2298 is so far the best at infinite bombjumps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1vbbJ6GgyA

Foxhound3857

I'm talking about single IBJ for the most part, yes (including starting it mid-jump). I can double and diagonal if I have to, but I tried for the longest time to get the hang of horizontal and it's just beyond me.

I'm having to utilize short-charging a lot too.

altoiddealer

I had more trouble with the last heat-run,

[spoiler]with a required HBJ[/spoiler]

So yeah this gets even more fun lol

Quietus

Quote from: Foxhound3857 on October 24, 2016, 07:33:56 PMI'm having to utilize short-charging a lot too.
It's one of the many skill based hacks, so you may need to brace yourself, or store up some jars of patience for later. :^_^:

Zero Dozer

Yeah, I learned Stutter-Step Shortcharge thanks to this hack.

Foxhound3857

Quote from: Zero Dozer on October 25, 2016, 01:57:41 PM
Yeah, I learned Stutter-Step Shortcharge thanks to this hack.

Yeah, I was learning to apply it in other hacks to get items you're not supposed to get at that point, or even to circumvent certain shinespark puzzles, but here it's pretty much mandatory to know for progression. At least it's an easy technique to execute though.

Quietus

Quote from: Foxhound3857 on October 25, 2016, 08:19:00 PMAt least it's an easy technique to execute though.
Way too subjective, I reckon. We have some users who still struggle with wall-jumping. :^_^:

Foxhound3857

Quote from: Quietus on October 26, 2016, 04:52:56 AM
Quote from: Foxhound3857 on October 25, 2016, 08:19:00 PMAt least it's an easy technique to execute though.
Way too subjective, I reckon. We have some users who still struggle with wall-jumping. :^_^:

Right, sorry. I'll rephrase.

At least it's an easy technique to execute compared to, say, most kinds of bomb jumps (double, diagonal, or horizontal). And I hope one of those isn't needed for this hack eventually.

I haven't made much progress yet. I'm barely past Spore Spawn with 3 E-Tanks to my name.

SuperKB

Digital_Mantra

It's been a long time, and not sure which update this was, but could be what you're looking for.

SuperKB