News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Super Zero Mission - Stuck on Big Metroid

Started by Schrodinger23, June 24, 2019, 02:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schrodinger23

I've got a lot of hours into Metroid Super Zero Mission, version 2.3.  I'm playing the normal (not hard) version. 

Warning:  Potential spoilers below, so that I can describe where I am stuck.

After I defeat Mother Brain in Tourian, escape and then descend to defeat the ghost (of Mother Brain?) I thought I was in good shape.  I have one full row of energy tanks plus two, plus three reserve tanks, about 110 missiles and 22 super missiles. With my energy tanks and reserves full I come across the big metroid that sucks the life out of the creature and then comes after me. I begin to run trying to get to the door, but always get caught by the metroid.   I have tried short charging the speed boost, but there isn't enough time before the metroid catches me.  I have tried pushing just about every button.  Tried to walk, run and jump and before I know it, after about 20 seconds I'm dead. 

I've looked up a couple of YouTube walkthroughs by Super KB and KyleRXZero and they seem to have no problem at all.  Somehow they can slowly walk to get out of the door.  But, I can't even move an inch.   Any suggestions?

Schrodinger23

I finally figured it out.  I tried this about 20 times or more.  I was about ready to give up on the game altogether, since I was thinking that it must be a glitch or something wrong with the game.  It turns out that one has to shoot out the glass before the metroid catches you.  I didn't realize this for the longest time and ran right to the glass, the metroid caught me and I couldn't move.

One challenge for me playing this game is that I am doing so without audio.  I loaded it up on my SNES Mini, but have an older TV that doesn't accept audio over HDMI. The lack of sound has definitely been tricky with the gates, since I don't know if I actually opened them in some cases, without the sound queue. Maybe when trying various things here I would have heard the glass break earlier, if I had sound.