News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Working on a fantasy novel

Started by maxipower, March 10, 2019, 10:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxipower

Hey guys, I began working on a book about ten years ago. On and off I struggled to piece it all together until recently i picked it back up and it's beginning to fall into place. Still ways off but I have some character art drawn up which is of good quality and was wondering if anyone here would be interested. Its sort of final fantasy meets lord of the rings. I've always been inspired by videogames and Super Metroid was my first ever real love into the medium, not saying this project is like that, but it's surely had a factor in who I am today.

https://www.facebook.com/LegacyOfTheLostDragoon/

Character Count 9

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

MetroidNerd#9001

Looks decently interesting, and the art looks great! I also am one who enjoys writing, but I haven't been doing it nearly long enough to have something sizeable put together. I hope you keep working on this; it looks like something I might want to read someday once it's finished.

maxipower

Thanks, I will finish it, only a matter of when. Its Lord of the rings crossed with maybe Final Fantasy in style. defo more inspiration comes from rpg games than even books themselves.

Quietus

Good news, bad news, I'm afraid.

The good news is that the artwork is fantastic, and instantly gives a feeling of familiarity with the characters you're trying to portray. :cool:

The bad news is that the writing is going to need some serious proofreading and editing. I consider myself to be well versed in the basics of English usage, and I can see numerous grammatical errors. Also, some phrasing is poor enough that it becomes difficult to understand what you are trying to say without rereading certain sentences. If I can pick up on those, anybody with more knowledge, and especially someone with editorial experience, would no doubt pick up on a lot more. :study:

Good luck with it. I know it's no easy task to write a novel.

maxipower

Thanks for the input, i removed the post for now. I knew it was too early to share but i agree, my writing needs a lot of work. Ill try to improve but continue more or less this manner to produce a first draft. Scene and world building and getting the story down on paper then its just a matter of looking over it and making it work and asking others to read and help edit I suppose.

Hackmi

Yo maxipower, you're back?

Long time no see or talk hope everything's good :)

maxipower

Well buddy, im never too far away. always lurking looking for fresh hacks lol. hope your well and still up to your hacking antics. ;) you still.wotking on the engine?

Hackmi

(message me on discord)
Finished a game actually, a while back now but yea kinda.

maxipower

Updated original post with New art. This character was on my fb project page but now its finished with more detail.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Again, the art is fantastic. I reckon it wouldn't do any harm in this one to add a knife on the belt as the 'last resort' weapon.

maxipower

Quote from: Quietus on March 15, 2019, 03:37:52 PM
Again, the art is fantastic. I reckon it wouldn't do any harm in this one to add a knife on the belt as the 'last resort' weapon.

id love to be able to spend more time per character to add those finer details but it is very expensive. them two drawings coat me over 600 dollars so you can imagine how much its costing me to get the full cast of id say a dozen drawn up. :S

maxipower

First look at Galiron Galati, General of the Knight's of Cilbaen, and retainers to the King in the West. Needs some work. getting bigger sword and final detail added.

Hackmi

maxipower

Quote from: Hackmi on March 30, 2019, 07:22:31 AM
the art is top notch btw woah

Thanks Hackmi. Theres the finished drawing.

maxipower

Update with a bunch more characters

[spoiler]

First Draft

[/spoiler]

maxipower

Hackmi

Do you do the character designs? if so theyre amazing

maxipower

I don't draw them, no. I have an artist ding them for me. I wish i had the talent to draw like this.