News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Year 2017

Started by Quote58, April 22, 2018, 01:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who won Room of the Year 2017?

January
0 (0%)
February (squishy)
1 (3.6%)
February (passarbye)
0 (0%)
March
9 (32.1%)
April
1 (3.6%)
May
3 (10.7%)
June
2 (7.1%)
August
1 (3.6%)
September
2 (7.1%)
October
2 (7.1%)
November
3 (10.7%)
Dec/Jan (oneof)
2 (7.1%)
Dec/Jan (daltone)
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Quote58

Holy cow two room of the X being updated in one day? MADNESS!
Alright peeps, it's time for Room of the Year, 2017 edition. We have a number of entries to choose from, but since it's way fewer than past years (I'll do 2016 after this, don't worry) what with it being monthly now, there's no need for the old method of choosing a top 3 rooms and going through a second round of voting after. This time we can do a regular poll.

Which room won Room of the Year for 2017?
January:
[spoiler=Quote58][/spoiler]
February:
[spoiler=Squishy/Passarbye][/spoiler]
March:
[spoiler=Quote58][/spoiler]
April:
[spoiler=Jefe962][/spoiler]
May:
[spoiler=FPzero][/spoiler]
June:
[spoiler=Benox50][/spoiler]
August:
[spoiler=Asbestos][/spoiler]
September:
[spoiler=Jiffy][/spoiler]
October:
[spoiler=Scout][/spoiler]
November:
[spoiler=Boomerang][/spoiler]
December/January:
[spoiler=Oneof99/Daltone][/spoiler]

The voting period will last until the end of May

Jiffy

Oooh, lovely. There are a lot of rooms this year that look nice. I think it's anyone's game.
... However, do you think there could be 2 separate votes for February? I, like some others, may want to vote for one room and not the other.

I should also write up my reviews now that I'm at my PC.

[spoiler]
January - Quote
A pretty gorgeous room. I didn't appreciate these until I learned how difficult it is to use the Lower Norfair ruins tileset. My only gripe with it is how thin the crateria tiles look when suspending the platform(s). Other than that, I think it looks brilliant.

February 1 - Squishy_Ichigo
A good favourite of mine, and I love how well the bricks blend with the ruined tourian. My only thought is there should be some filler in the black, the ruined tourian fades out to black in a very weird way.

February 2 - Passarbye
Looks like it could be pulled out of Zero Mission, brilliant work. The colours of the background, foreground, enemies and acid all work together. Good work.

March - Quote58
Yet another gorgeous room, and I do like this one better than your January efforts. The Crateria tiles suit a lot more in the background, as they are thicker and compensate the crateria in the foreground too. You've even fixed the smooth filler from January, so that's good. Nice work.

April - Jiffy
Probably one of the best rooms I've made. I remember this took me weeks to build, and I still use it as reference for my later builds. :heheh:

May - FPZero
Unless you've added fog/haze/other FX, then the bright palette is really going to stand out. I can see the concept, but some things do need work, like the palette and the weird background columns. I am a fan of that background though.

June - Benox50
I always think this looks like you've taken an X-Ray image of the room itself. It's wacky, original, and clever design. However the Tourian weed (is that what we call it nowadays?) sticks out a slight bit, when it uses a different palette/style.

August - Asbestos
I LOVE how the mushrooms stack ontop of each other. I think that's just a brilliant idea. The structure of the room is pretty rad, and the background is nicely done. However the bricks could do with folds of rock around them to look more embedded.

September - Jiffy
Another one of my nicer rooms, however I've always thought how much better the top half of the room looks, compared to the bottom half. Who knows though, maybe these might be my next project... =D

October - Scout
You've captured the Chozo Temple theme well, and I really dig the palette, especially those doors. However I'm not a fan of how abrupt the filler is, especially with Chozo statues within.

November - Boomerang
This room is damn solid. The dirty red and green work SO well together, I can just taste it. Your tiling for the foreground and the background are done so well that I might have to steal some of your technique for Nature development. Don't tell anyone.  :=x:

December 1 - OneOf99
A really nice GBAtroid room, using vanilla tiles and not-so-vanilla-but-gorgeous palettes. The plants also look nice, and look somewhat like custom tiles. However, glaring tile error!  :evilno:

December 2 - Daltone
Erection with a capital E. I am a huge fan of vibrant stuff, so this room is no exception. The filler on the Norfair rocks looks really pretty, and the palette blending the rocks and bubbles looks amazing. I also appreciate the randomness of the bricks at the top, and the cool colours makes a nice contrast to the heat previously. This wins my vote, but I'll have to wait until Quote's response on adding more votes to the poll.

[/spoiler]

Quote58

I wasn't sure at first, but I think it probably is best if we divide up december/january and february, so that people don't have to vote for both of the rooms in each.
I've reset the poll, sorry about having to reenter your vote.

Quote58

Quick reminder that there's only 3 days left to vote on Room of the Year for 2017, so get your vote in if you haven't yet!

Quote58

Voting for ROTY has now ended