News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The Beserker Contest!

Started by Jiffy, October 01, 2018, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caauyjdp

about metroid scrolls 6:
Not too likely to happen by accident, but you can get stuck on exit from ARX. Door transition puts you inside a solid block, and since there seems to be 1wide2tall space to the left of this block you can roll left and get stuck.
[spoiler=image][/spoiler]

edit: also, i could be wrong, but i think i completed the game with 95% the first time. after that i found a pack of power bombs, beat the game again but end game screen still shows 95%. i might be misremembering, or it could be that there's more than 100 items and it's rounding down.

andlabs

A more possible permastuck in Scroll 6: if you go back to Not Spore Spawn's room after beating it once, and fall from the crumble blocks, you won't be able to get out. Unless there's a secret I don't know about?

Cpt.Glitch

Quote from: andlabs on December 04, 2018, 10:08:31 AM
A more possible permastuck in Scroll 6: if you go back to Not Spore Spawn's room after beating it once, and fall from the crumble blocks, you won't be able to get out. Unless there's a secret I don't know about?

That is a known issue one of the designers forgot about. It's known and will be fixed in the main site release.

OneOf99

Quote from: caauyjdp on December 04, 2018, 09:29:45 AM
about metroid scrolls 6:
Not too likely to happen by accident, but you can get stuck on exit from ARX. Door transition puts you inside a solid block, and since there seems to be 1wide2tall space to the left of this block you can roll left and get stuck.
[spoiler=image][/spoiler]

edit: also, i could be wrong, but i think i completed the game with 95% the first time. after that i found a pack of power bombs, beat the game again but end game screen still shows 95%. i might be misremembering, or it could be that there's more than 100 items and it's rounding down.
Thanks for the heads up on these two things. The door I can fix easily, but the item percentage glitch will have to be looked at more.

andlabs

In the second version of Angry So Little Dread:

Shinesparking up here causes the game to crash.

EDIT

And the scroll outside this door is so corrupt that not only is it hard to get in without corrupting the graphics in general (Tourian without scroll PLM style), but you can't get out, even with a shinespark, without the scroll corrupting (Crocomire-from-the-back-door style) and after a few seconds the game softlocking.

caauyjdp

question/spoiler about metroid scrolls 6:
[spoiler]Is this speed block an error? I tried ballsparking up through it but just bonked the ceiling above it.
[/spoiler]

OneOf99

Quote from: caauyjdp on December 06, 2018, 01:51:25 AM
question/spoiler about metroid scrolls 6:
[spoiler]Is this speed block an error? I tried ballsparking up through it but just bonked the ceiling above it.
[/spoiler]
It's an error.

andlabs

@Moehr I went back and used a walk through walls code (948F4960) to try to leave from both the left and the right door connections of the Speed Booster room; the game crashed instead.

Moehr

The contest entry is pretty borked, sorry. Definitely bad door pointers in that room, so the door tiles behave like solid walls or worse and crash.

That's not the only crash, but it's a big one.

Just grade accordingly for brokenness, and don't lose too much time trying to get through.

I think there is one route that may be beatable but tbh it is probably not worth figuring it out.

We will be posting a working version at a later date if you decide it is worth a 2nd chance then.

andlabs

It's all right. These were all interesting (or, in the case of the one that didn't work at all, promising) entries, and I guess the lesson for everyone is: it is bad if all the participants forget that there's a contest going on =P

Moehr

I certainly haven't forgotten; I think it wouldn't be fair to help people through mine when other entries seem like they work much better.

Also we had a choice to enter or abstain, but I think having someone enter their failed effort is still better than having no rivals whatsoever.

Being my first contest entry I certainly learned a lot about what it takes to make a deadline and while I probably won't enter future contests, it was enlightening to see what could and couldn't be done in the 20 days we spent staying up all hours once we decided to enter

Also playing every one else's entry now too

Keaton

Hello I am having trouble playing Metroid scrolls (Because I heard it has amazing tilesets and was wondering if I could use some for my Fusion hack that's not for the contest obviously that I'm working on) but when I turn it into an .ips patch file and apply it to a ROM I am greeted with a white screen. I even tried opening it in MAGE but it said file is not a valid ROM.

OneOf99

Quote from: Keaton on December 15, 2018, 07:58:12 PM
Hello I am having trouble playing Metroid scrolls (Because I heard it has amazing tilesets and was wondering if I could use some for my Fusion hack that's not for the contest obviously that I'm working on) but when I turn it into an .ips patch file and apply it to a ROM I am greeted with a white screen. I even tried opening it in MAGE but it said file is not a valid ROM.
What ips patcher are you using? Are you sure you are patching to a completely clean Zero Mission rom? It must be the US version.

Keaton

Quote from: OneOf99 on December 15, 2018, 11:23:12 PM
Quote from: Keaton on December 15, 2018, 07:58:12 PM
What ips patcher are you using? Are you sure you are patching to a completely clean Zero Mission rom? It must be the US version.
I'm using Lunar Ips and I am patching a clean US rom I'll try and download another but if that does not work then I don't know what I am going to do.

Cpt.Glitch

Based on what you have said Keaton, you are turning the .rar file into a .ips patch which makes no sense. You must uncompress the .rar file with 7-zip or something equivalent, then you will see the ips patch.

Keaton

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on December 16, 2018, 11:19:43 AM
Based on what you have said Keaton, you are turning the .rar file into a .ips patch which makes no sense. You must uncompress the .rar file with 7-zip or something equivalent, then you will see the ips patch.
Alright thanks did not know.

MetroidNerd#9001

This is a reminder to everybody that the judging period for this contest ends TODAY! If you have not voted for your favorite hack, be sure to do so. All entrants must also submit their scores for the other hacks by the end of the day or face a penalty on your own hack!

MetroidNerd#9001

The judging period of the contest is officially over! Thank you to everybody who entered, and also to everyone who voted for their favorite hacks. By 23 points, the winner of the contest is Metroid Scrolls 6 by OneOf99, CaptGlitch, Conner, and JRP. In second with 61 points is Angry So Little Dread, followed by Temple of the Winds with 37 points. Mentlegen did not submit scores for the hack and dropped out of the contest.

A breakdown of the scoring can be found here:
[spoiler][/spoiler]