News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The Beserker Contest!

Started by Jiffy, October 01, 2018, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiffy

It's contest time! This is the third and final contest for this year, and this time we're using one of the contest suggestions from the main page. Thank you guys for your submissions.

THE BESERKER CONTEST!

Quote from: MetroidNerd#9001You know that feeling when you miss a blind grapple jump or tricky wall jump and have to do another couple minute long loop to get back to where you were? We know that feeling all too well and have a solution that should please everybody. The idea is to create a hack whose sole purpose is to let the player vent their anger into it. How you chose to do so is up to you, but the hack must feel satisfying to play through. Make the hack something a person would want to pick up and beat any time they are feeling exceptionally angry. The winner will be given the title "Master of Anger Dispelment"!

This contest idea was submitted by MetroidNerd#9001, who will also be helping to run the contest. The aim of the contest is to produce a hack that an angry player can play to blow off some steam.

Points will be awarded as follows:

• Theme - 10 points - How well does the hack follow the theme? Does it make you like you've dispelled anger after playing?
  • Aesthetics - 5 points - How good does the hack look?
  • Replayability - 5 points - Can your hack be played over and over to be less angry?
  • Fun - 5 points - Hacks have to be happy and fun! Make it more fun and you get more points. It's that simple.
  • Construction - 5 points - Is the hack well built? Are there any bugs? Make sure to crush them before you submit!

Judging will be carried out by MetroidNerd#9001 as well as the contest submitters. That means if you submit a hack, you'll have to judge other contest hacks, too. (Failure to judge other contest hacks may result in a penalty.)

Some conditions to note:

• The contest is allowed for all 2D metroids, however fangames and 3D metroids are not allowed. (Fed Force makes me angry anyways.)
  • The hack must be beatable, meaning you have to be able to reach the credits screen.

When does the contest start? NOW! (October 1st) and will last until December 1st. So that gives you exactly 2 months to make a hack. Further details for judging will be announced.

Let the contest begin. POST HACK!

The contest is in voting. Play the hacks now! Here's a convenient download hub:
SM-EXERTION ULTRASMOL by Mentlegen
Angry So Little Dread by MetroidMst, DSO and Tedicles
Temple of the Winds by Moehr and Albert_V (14 fixes will be considered your entry)
Metroid Scrolls 6 by CaptGlitch, Conner, JRP and OneOf99

thedopefish

Funny, I thought MetroidNerd's entry was called Berserker. . .

Keaton

Question do you just have to play the hacks and then judge them or Rec/Livestream them?

Jiffy

Quote from: Keaton on November 08, 2018, 10:24:00 AM
Question do you just have to play the hacks and then judge them or Rec/Livestream them?

Further details for judging will be announced when the submission period is over, but usually you only need to play/judge the other hacks if you have submitted your own. No recording/livestreaming is required.

Keaton

Quote from: Jefe962 on November 08, 2018, 01:22:51 PM
Quote from: Keaton on November 08, 2018, 10:24:00 AM

Further details for judging will be announced when the submission period is over, but usually you only need to play/judge the other hacks if you have submitted your own. No recording/livestreaming is required.
Thanks for clarification!  :^_^:

Jiffy

Two days left on the submission period guys. Saturday evening is the last time you can post your hack. Post hack!

Mentlegen

SM EXERTION-ULTRASMOL
this is an ultra-condensed version of SM exertion, which will hopefully be getting a complete release.
features:
Custom music
two new suits

launch from savestate to avoid bugs and softlocks:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9wt97185hklbxhk/Begin.000/file

feel free to snoop around with your favorite version of smile if you would like to see planned features

MetroidMst

And now the crushment commences.

Brought to you by the definitely tightest team of collabers who definitely didn't start a month late and definitely didn't spend 48 out of the last 48 hours working to get this working. . .

[spoiler=Contest Headliner]
Angry So Little Dread

--------------STORY---------------
Samus finally escaped from the mind bending Shakazon Brainforest and decided to do some investigation into where the Shaktools were getting such advanced and powerful weaponry.

As she checked into the finances of the Shaktool Armada of Death, she noticed a lot of shell corps covered for purchases from an Etchora Corp. Further research showed a base hidden deep in an asteroid field.

A few cloaked recon missions later, Samus had discoved a massive base built amoung the asteroids shielding munitions and other explosives from normal scans. And worst of all, it  was guarded by feral wild beasts and spiteful animals, all wanting just  one thing, a future that includes handheld games for children that  ruin Samus's reputation as a great warrior and showcases her as a crying Adam apologist!

Knowing she cannot let this happen, lest the masses get ahold of such slander and ruin her character forever, Samus sets off for the Etchora Corps asteroid base to wipe out the munitions dump, and the animals, once and for all!

However, she is unable to just barge in, as her normal equipment would be detected immediately. She could only enter by removing any advanced technology from her Power Suit, leaving her with nothing but a Power Beam to try to take them on. However, being a munitions dump gives her hope that she can find and use the advanced technology she might stumble across. This will leave her vunerable to the mighty animal army and their gross mutations. A log entry she decoded mentioned the Draycoontagore mutation of Death, which has enough mental powers to make custom displays break. This does not bode well as she just updated her visor to Windowframes Vista.

While the asteroid field is vast, Samus decides she will focus on the high yield explosives located in a small cluster. Not being able to fly her ship through the mess, she must find ways to traverse space itself in order to make it out alive and save her future from being ruined by some Other aniMals!
[/spoiler]

Collab brought to you by:
Ted
DSO
MetroidMst

With special thanks to:
Black_Falon

Prepare to take out your frustration on the animals like never before.
And in the interest of fairness, and definitely not because things were broken and continuing to break, I have updated past the deadline and accept the penalty of death to the animals.

Moehr

Albert V and I made this one, didn't get to edit all of the enemies or message stuff but will try to take a crack at that after the contest perhaps

edit - found an immediate crash, sorry :/
14 fixes that error, but I left 13 cause that's what we entered

OneOf99

CaptGlitch, Conner, JRP, and OneOf99 present...
METROID SCROLLS 6
I once again finds myself bored and
eager to slay a dragon. In my effort to
quell this desire, I found a strange
realm with mysical properties. I smell
a dragon here, so I shall do what I
must to reach it. -Samus Aran-

Jiffy

I have a few penalties to dish out regarding some of your entries, since I cannot disqualify all of your entries:

Mentlegen: -5 points: A savestate is not ideal for the contest, as your hack should be playable from start to finish. Also, not all players may use the same emulator as you.

Thank you for your submissions! Make your way over to the voting thread here. All players may participate in the new Public vote, as part of the Public contest theme. Further rules for voting will be given there.

Please keep discussion/spoilers for the hacks in this thread, and the voting thread clear for people leaving reviews.

Here's a convenient download hub:
SM-EXERTION ULTRASMOL by Mentlegen
Angry So Little Dread by MetroidMst, DSO and Tedicles
Temple of the Winds by Moehr and Albert_V (14 fixes will be considered your entry)
Metroid Scrolls 6 by CaptGlitch, Conner, JRP and OneOf99

Ing-ing

Quote from: OneOf99 on December 02, 2018, 12:01:03 AM
CaptGlitch, Conner, JRP, and OneOf99 present...
METROID SCROLLS 6
I once again finds myself bored and
eager to slay a dragon. In my effort to
quell this desire, I found a strange
realm with mysical properties. I smell
a dragon here, so I shall do what I
must to reach it. -Samus Aran-

Those are some sweet tilesets 99!

andlabs

@Mentlegen the exit from the Lava Suit and Power Bomb room is broken; it leads you to a corrupt room (snes9x-gtk 1.56.2 gtk+ version 85)

EDIT I noticed the Lava Suit is also somewhere else... but that doesn't matter because the exit back to the Landing Site is broken in the same way :/

and yes this is using the savestate; also is it just me or is the new music completely silent?

--------

@Moehr is it possible to leave the room with Speed Booster?

Jiffy

As MetroidMst fixed up his entry, the penalties have balanced out and now everyone is equal again. However, right now, the team is discussing the legitimacy of Mentlegen's entry. The entry can still be played, even after its disqualification. However, keep in mind that any further updates to your entries will result in disqualification.
Edit: The decision has been made. Mentlegen's entry is not to be disqualified, but will receive a 5 point penalty.

Moehr

@Moehr is it possible to leave the room with Speed Booster?

It is meant to be but if there is a glitch I have to check later today. Try shooting the door, it is a gate plm with new gfx. May need to stand away from it a bit to hit target.

andlabs

Right, I have shot the gate on the right, but the wall behind it seems to be solid. I can't seem to get anything from the gate on the left, assuming it is a real gate, but there's solid blocks in the way of that as well.

Moehr

I will check later once home it definitely wouldn't be solid

elol

Mentlegen, I've been trying to play your hack but you can not play because when you start the black screen with the music of  menu , its a bug, or i need another emulator that the zsnesw and how to use file begin and where it goes.

andlabs

@Moehr actually, different question: is the IPS for headered or unheadered ROMs? I was using an unheadered ROM and I'm wondering if that caused it...

Moehr

@andlabs
It's for a unheadered room, there are some.door and plm issues in the contest version

It is what it is for now, a inished version will come out down the road.

caauyjdp

about metroid scrolls 6:
There seems to be a buggy door connection near screw attack. I got screw, went back to previous room, broke blocks below me and fell down, went to right, into the next room. That room didn't look like a dead end, so decided to turn around and explore previous room, entered the door transition and now screen just keeps scrolling down.

OneOf99

Quote from: caauyjdp on December 03, 2018, 01:14:32 PM
about metroid scrolls 6:
There seems to be a buggy door connection near screw attack. I got screw, went back to previous room, broke blocks below me and fell down, went to right, into the next room. That room didn't look like a dead end, so decided to turn around and explore previous room, entered the door transition and now screen just keeps scrolling down.

Oof, sorry you had to experience that. I apparently set that door to output Samus on the wrong side. Main site release will have it fixed, but sorry about that.

andlabs

Are there supposed to be PLM number collisions making some items un-obtainable alongside other items in Angry So Little Dread? In both versions of the patch, in different places.

MetroidMst

Quote from: andlabs on December 03, 2018, 02:04:46 PM
Are there supposed to be PLM number collisions making some items un-obtainable alongside other items in Angry So Little Dread? In both versions of the patch, in different places.
It's a feature. One we didn't intend but it's a feature for sure.

Sapphron

What is max item% in Angry So Little Dread? And what are the final item counts