News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Hack Ideas

Started by DSO, May 20, 2009, 08:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passarbye

Quote from: JAM on February 24, 2012, 10:53:16 PM
If someone with ASM skill will do an Other M styled hack it might be a good idea.

hell yes.
although, i don't know any ASM whatsoever.  :cry:

Zhs2

Sensemove in Super Metroid, ahahahahaha

Yuki

Quote from: Zhs2 on February 25, 2012, 02:30:56 AM
Sensemove in Super Metroid, ahahahahaha
Didn't Eris already do that with the evasion powerup?

U-Mos

Well, I though it would be awesome to make a program to replace Samus' sprites. So you could battle as other versions of her suit. The actual look, not a look alike.

Anyways, I thought that it would be cool to have Samus' be able to keep her speed booster even if she wall jumps, or runs into a wall.

Hazard Remiix

Quote from: JAM on February 24, 2012, 10:53:16 PM
If someone with ASM skill will do an Other M styled hack it might be a good idea.

In other M you have infinite amount of Power Bombs, but it takes time to reload. So, what if use Power Bomb counter as reload timer in frames, starting from 999 (about 16.(6) seconds which is close to original) and delete numbers when ready? To make player understand that this is reloading, make numbers red.
And also, use blue numbers in the same area as charge counter.

Oohoohohohohohoh.... I tried making a other M hack... I fail badly because I couldn't think of the level design..

Damski

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on January 25, 2012, 06:39:25 AM
You know what would be fucking cool?

Having your background have a flow like a rising/lowering liquid.

xD it very easy if you use my tactic. You can do dat background with enemies... I think..

Black Falcon

After reading through some posts on the recent pages:
Quote from: Shadow96 on January 24, 2012, 06:39:21 PM

Power Grip
Nope
Long Beam
On the contrary to what Qactis said, yes it's possible, it's very easy to write code that makes beam projectiles disappear after they traveled a very short distance, and an item check to bypass this code.
Kinda the opposite of what I've done with the Plasma Cutter.

Deathball (maybe)
Easiest way would be just setting contact damage scew attack style.
Only thing that's missing is (obviously) Samus/Samus collision routine.
Invuln
Of course possible.
Cloaking Device
Nope.
Scrambler
You need to explain that alittle more.

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on January 25, 2012, 06:39:25 AM
You know what would be fucking cool?

Having your background have a flow like a rising/lowering liquid.
Imagine a slowing shifting waterline behind foreground stalagmite in a dank cavern corridor.
In the foreground, a slowly shifting muddier liquid.
Slowly drenching through this amazing corridor unless you have what it takes to avoid the sludge delay.
Hell yes.
Make it happen asm gods.

If I understand that correctly, you mean a background that kinda looks like the Crateria Ocean, only that it's moving up/down synchronously with the actual water level, right?
That sounds really interesting.
I might give it a shot later on.

Damski

In other Metroid games, the Long Beam appears to have been completely merged with the Power Beam, as all shots are capable of travelling far lengths. It is listed in the game's code for Super Metroid, but is not found in-game.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Long_Beam

Very wierd that its not found in-game.

Digital_Mantra

When you go into Samus' visor menu, it would be interesting if she could save her progress in the Samus menu or something.
Though loading Samus to wherever she saved might be trickier than doing the save at will thing.
Maybe it would take her back to the beginning of an area (with progress still done in said area).
Then again, you could always save state.. just an idea. A general hack idea.

Damski

Damn if this idea is possible  im gonna shit in my pants with dierre.

Idea:

Making enemy that can Possess an enemy by making it the second part but with different enemy physich..

a Small example

- Zoomer that can posses an enemy

- Sidehopper that can posses an enemy

- Space pirate that can posses an enemy

With this you can make very interesting enemies or a even boss! and its save so much time if you dont want mess with tilemaps or making new asm per enemy.

Lunaria

I would comment on your amazing hack idea Damski, but I have no way to understand what you're trying to say. ._.

Damski

Quote from: Crys on March 11, 2012, 06:17:04 PM
I would comment on your amazing hack idea Damski, but I have no way to understand what you're trying to say. ._.

Do you know the bang enemy? That enemy can Possess an enemy by making it the second part of the matrix instead.

Like this

Super Metroid hacking - ultra space pirate

But what if someone make new enemy that can Possess an enemy by making it the second part of the matrix instead?

Lunaria

Hey, that's a pretty cool concept.

Would you mind releasing how you set this specific thing up? I would be interested in checking it out! :3

Damski

Quote from: Crys on March 11, 2012, 06:36:12 PM
Hey, that's a pretty cool concept.

Would you mind releasing how you set this specific thing up? I would be interested in checking it out! :3

I added 3 enemies to the room with none enemies  and changed the first one to Space Pirate, second one to Bang with SPEED of BB66 (that points to somewhere in the ROM) and the third one to Bang too, with SPEED of BB4A. That way you can make Bang work and make it possess the first enemy (0 in enemy index). To not make it possess anything, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd enemy must be Bangs.

Also, to make Bangs move, change their ORIENTATION to 0001 and change the SPEED2 to a good value. (IMO 0005 is best)

- kissapoikanen 2

Smile info.

DB3F (aka- BANG)<Possesser Type C>
[Orientation] = 0000/0001 for stationary/movable
[Speed] = pointer to code to run!
     BB66 = Possesses next enemy.  Allows red core to be destroyed.
     BB4A = Make this piece a blue bubble. Allows Bang to shoot.
     BB2B = Make this piece static.
[Speed 2] = speed

Has 3 parts/enemies:
1) Red core (shootable part)
2) Blue bubble
3) Static charge

Absorbs your shots, growing each time.  Shoots a charged blast at you when it bursts.  Unused enemy.

Possess an enemy by making it the second part of the matrix instead.

You can possesed like two enemies per bang..

JAM

Quote from: Damski on March 09, 2012, 04:01:19 PM

In other Metroid games, the Long Beam appears to have been completely merged with the Power Beam, as all shots are capable of travelling far lengths. It is listed in the game's code for Super Metroid, but is not found in-game.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Long_Beam

Very wierd that its not found in-game.
Actually, there is a very similar subroutine. It removes all shots that are goes off-screen by 1/4 screen, but works so smoothly so it looks perfect to removing shots on-screen. Change only 2 words and it will checks for Samus' position. Change 4 more words and you'll change the distance. But that's for removing all shots on-screen.

To get Long Beam and also remove shots off-screen as usual, this subroutine should be tweaked a bit.

P.S. Have you noticed a gap between SUPPLY and BEAM frames? There is no such gap between SUIT and MISC or between MISC and BOOTS. Why? I guess, there was something else in BEAM frame. Something else that has tile graphics left in the ROM =)

Smiley

To make that funky Space Pirate (or pretty much any other enemy) as seen in my video, just follow Squishy's BANG tutorial, but just leave the enemy visible. Might be better to make the Bangs invisibible instead.
And then just edit the enemy's GFX and possibly it's tilemap too to make it look like a witch on a broom or something.

Damski

1. Super Charge or Diffusion Charge. Allows Samus to charge his Cannon to the next level hit more damage.

2. Spider ball that works with slopes.

Zero One

Quote from: Damski on March 23, 2012, 07:29:57 PMAllows Samus to charge his Buster to the next level hit more damage.

wat

Also, a short-lived Morph Ball Screw Attack would be pretty cool.

Sixxon

Erm, I have a idea:

"Starline"

It'd be a item that you'd get from a statue.

To use it, you'd drop one Power Bomb. Before it explodes, Charge any given beam and you'll absorb the explosion, Samus will blink as if she's charged a Shinespark, but the aura wil be red. If you crouch then jump (Like a Shinespark) You can go up, forward, down or back, but this time, you're able to change directions and you won't stop until you hit a wall. This allows for you to put a upward tunnel full of spikes followed by a right tunnel of lava and allow you to change directions in midair while doing it.

Quietus

There's already a patch that allows you to control the shinespark's direction.  The only new idea here would be charging it from a Power Bomb's explosion.

Idea: I think it'd be cool to have the X-Ray scope on the status screen, and once you've collected it, it's always active, and covers the whole screen.  It'd need to be one of the last items collected, so as not to give everything away, but it'd be nice for 100%ing afterward.

Smiley

That one was already split into it's own thread. It's in off-topic.

And ideas:
1. How about an item that allows Samus to "drill" her way down through bomb blocks while in Morph Ball mode?
2. A beam upgrade that allows you to fire one shot of Hyper Beam after charging your beam long enough. The more beams you have equipped, the less time it takes to charge it.

SpiderWaffle

I'm trying to come up with a new story and setting for a new metroid hack.  One idea is to have it take place in different classic games.  Another is for Samus to be bounty hunter, could possibly combine this with the first one.  Another is to have one of the worlds be earth, another mars, and another zebes, and maybe the statue guy's home world, some sort of an interplanetary war.

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: SpiderWaffle on March 27, 2012, 07:21:29 PM
Another is for Samus to be bounty hunter, could possibly combine this with the first one.

i lol'd

Parabox

new story
new ... setting
Samus to be bounty hunter
one of the worlds be earth, another mars, and another zebes, and maybe the statue guy's home world, some sort of an interplanetary war.

i lol'd alot

knuckles

Editing the map tiles?... ( dont know if this is already possible...)
What I mean is like replacing the sprites with your own custom ones. :smileyspam:
Heres something that (I think) would be impossible for the time being: changing the intro in super metroid..  :cool: (Actually making custom intro videos)
Oh and.... making a zero suit samus switching system... (switching to zero suit samus and back and vice versa)