News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridley12

I guess people are more scared of the Big N than back then, even though ROM hacks are indeed safe.

FelixWright

Eh that's not quite true, romhacks are also in a legal gray area.
There's already past precedent of romhacks getting taken down by Njas like pokemon crystal? i think it was called

That said if big N touches this communuty at all in a negative light then I'm just going to pretend that copyright laws are copyright suggestions.

alexman25

Quote from: FelixWright on April 11, 2023, 11:02:15 AM
Eh that's not quite true, romhacks are also in a legal gray area.
There's already past precedent of romhacks getting taken down by Njas like pokemon crystal? i think it was called

That said if big N touches this communuty at all in a negative light then I'm just going to pretend that copyright laws are copyright suggestions.
I'm personally a bit hesitent to use anything Pokémon related as evidence for Nintendo's larger general mindset, given that it both isn't a first-party Nintendo reease, and is also the most profitable franchise that exists right now.

FelixWright

That's a fair counterargument to make.

You'd think with how much of a cash cow pkmn is they would make games that aren't broken to shit.

They are definitely far more lenient with other IPs.

[spoiler]Seriously for what other IP has nintendo stepped in to stop nsfw artists? Definitely not this one.[/spoiler]

Scooterboot9697

Tobi, my advice is to not be seeking attention while making a Nintendo fangame.

Granted, yes, when you do something cool, it's hard not to want to show it off. I find myself sharing clips of my progress in select places where I know I'll get praise, so my brain can make the good chemical. And you want people to talk about it, I get that.

And sure, I don't think big N is actually watching this forum, but you're practically demanding discussion about your project; which is not only annoying, but just a general bad idea. There's a time and place to talk about your fangame, try to be a little selective so it doesn't unintentionally blow up in popularity, which would be the worst thing to happen to your project.

I myself have been growing slightly paranoid recently, not due to any sort of occurrence, but from general legalese I've been hearing floating around. I'm tempted to start unlisting my videos and making disclaimers so that some dumbass Otaku article doesn't crop up and shit on my project.

Ridley12

Quote from: FelixWright on April 11, 2023, 11:12:07 AM

You'd think with how much of a cash cow pkmn is they would make games that aren't broken to shit.

[spoiler]Seriously for what other IP has nintendo stepped in to stop nsfw artists? Definitely not this one.[/spoiler]
Wait, what? Nintendo's taken action against NSFW artists?

FelixWright

Quote from: Ridley12 on April 11, 2023, 01:52:13 PM
Quote from: FelixWright on April 11, 2023, 11:12:07 AM

Wait, what? Nintendo's taken action against NSFW artists?

I plead the fifth.   :cool:

TobiMikami

I had heard, outside of Metroid, there was a confirmed DMCA on a Pokémon project, presumably the one mentioned however I thought that too was a fan game, not a ROM hack, but can't confirm, and I thought I heard a rumor about an Ocarina of Time remake getting shut down? I'm not sure. I'd figure because Metroid Construction doesn't host actual ROMs, they're technically not breaking the law (piracy wise) and it's a fine line between fair use (making some art and maybe sharing it) and actually distributing playable materials.

To think they don't know this site at least exists I'm sure would be farfetched at this point, it seems like anything in the 8-16 hit Era they just feel less threatened by, so really I'd think people are safe to share their hacks unless they're absolutely like top tier level stuff with a legitimate concern to be had.

MarioFanGamer

Some simple edit to the carnivorous plants I made for MetroidNerd#9001:

I modified them to allow you from escaping them through Grapple which makes sense if you think about it.

No proper release in the resource page yet since it's still in a testing phase but I still leave a download link to it.

TobiMikami

That's awesome, never would have thought of something like that, but I'm sure it'll get some good use now. Fuck them plants lmao

Ridley12

Quote from: TobiMikami on May 10, 2023, 04:33:57 PM
That's awesome, never would have thought of something like that, but I'm sure it'll get some good use now. Fuck them plants lmao
I know, right? Those Samus Eaters (great name, by the way :<_<:) are so annoying, especially in Fusion.

TobiMikami

Definitely rage quit against the Nettori several times as a kid because of that. Back when we didn't all have cell phones and internet to know about the blind spot.

Fresh off the compile line, aside from the glicltchy arrows needing to be repointed from the existing missile meter, I FINALLY put the dreaded Prime threat meter in. In recent weeks I also put the Prime Elevator in and fixed ship saving/loading, it even spells out the area name and fades in like Metroid Prime. It's like I'm actually running out of stuff to code, sadly.
https://youtu.be/eFwJxzUdVsM

FelixWright

Updated bookmarks file for TiMo (tile molester). Used to quickly jump to certain graphics and palettes in ROM.

Will eventually update Fusion's bookmarks file, but am currently lazy (and it'd be more work because fusion has less compressed graphics- there's much more to bookmark)