News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Trials and tribulations of hacking Metroid Prime

Started by William0310, December 19, 2017, 11:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William0310

Howdy gang. I'm new here (well by new I mean this is the first time I've actually bothered to make an account, usually I just lurk silently as a guest.)
I've been picking and prodding at Metroid Prime for a while and I've always wanted to mess around with it myself. So far with the tools you guys have graciously provided with your hard work and determination, I've managed to be able to actually edit quite a bit. My endgame here is to make...a bit of a humorous mod. That being said, all I'm REALLY aiming to change here, are the textures, music, and sound effects. The music was easy enough, and so far it seems replacing the videos are somewhat doable (thank you ffmpeg :grin: ).
Spoiler tag contains my progress so far of converting the .thp files
[spoiler][/spoiler]
However, this is where I smack into a brick wall, with the .AGSC files. I have seen one instance where someone managed to edit the sound effects of Samus's beam, and I'm trying to find out if there's any way if I can figure out how to edit it myself... To no avail.
From the description, he apparently used hex editing and some of the other tools that've been posted here. I'm not sure if this would qualify as 'Soliciting Ideas' since I'm not necessarily trying to gain ideas for the hack but rather how to hack (but if I'm wrong please let me know), but, would anyone have any damn idea how to unpack, edit, then repack .AGSC files? I've looked quite literally everywhere and I'm this close to going insane over it. Any point in the right direction is appreciated!
P.S.
yes, i am aware that there is a tool that dumps all the sound files in an agsc into separate .wavs. While it most certainly helps and is a useful and appreciated tool, it's not exactly what I'm looking for unless it has the capability to repack them afterwards, which means this entire time I've been blabbering absentmindedly about not being able to find said tool.

liamnajor

if you've got discord, I'd check out this server:
https://discord.gg/tQAdp3A
regarding texture dumps, dolphin emulator can do it natively.
and no, this is not soliciting, so it is fine. why on earth would a romhacking forum make it against the rules to ask how to romhack?

Antidote

Instead of duplicating effort you could just look at our wiki entries or ask questions on discord ;P

William0310

Quote from: liamnajor on December 20, 2017, 01:48:45 AM
and no, this is not soliciting, so it is fine. why on earth would a romhacking forum make it against the rules to ask how to romhack?
Just taking precaution, that's all. A little nervous about breaking rules, haha.  :lol:

Also thanks for the discord link, I'll see how I can contribute and learn.  :^_^: