News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Fusion C.L.E.A.N. Station/C.L.E.A.N.S. [VERSION 1.15]

Started by Mar99troid, August 18, 2018, 01:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mar99troid

NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE CONTEST VERSION. A FEW CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE AND MIGHT BE MADE IN THE FUTURE. IN ORDER TO DOWNLOAD THE
CONTEST VERSION, VISIT THIS PAGE: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4717.0.html

Made by Mar99troid "Spacepiratehacker54".
This is my entry for the "Post Hack Scrubs Contest".

Story:
While flying through space with her ship, Samus suddenly received an order
from a strange witty AI. It turns out the AI controls a huge space facility called C.L.E.A.N.S. .
The station is invaded by strange "dirty" lifeforms. Samus now has to put an end to this,
so biological research can be conducted on the ship once again.

What is this hack about?:
This hack is built in a way that you can take whatever path you want to
complete the game, there are multiple routes and lots of secrets, I recommend
this to people who have fun finding the best approach for speedruns or
those, who like exploration. Three kinds of upgrades can be collected in any order, the forth one requires
two other upgrades and the rest is a secret for now, so have fun exploring!

The Assembly:
Making Fusion unlinear takes way more code than I expected. For example, the event music
is really annoying to work with and it turns out that the event counter is really key
for everything: bosses, items, door locks...
Still working on this was a real pleasure overall and in the future I might release some
Assembly files on the forums and the fruits of my research on this game, because I really
want Fusion to be more accessible to other hackers since it would be my favourite 2D-Metroid game if
Super Metroid didn't exist.

The Testing:
Because I really didn't have that much time, there are many routes to take and I was the only tester,
some things still might not work correctly. If you happen to find a bug that's not already listed under
"Known Bugs" then please tell me. I'll update the hack if I can.

Before you play:
1.Pressing down and the jump button at the same time allows you to use ladders from above.
2.Pressing the start button after the demos played brings you back to the title screen.
3.Continuous wall-jumping on one wall (hack patched to allow this) and mid-air morph ball are techniques required
to beat this hack.
4.Sometimes it might seem like advanced techniques (like jump extent) are required to progress. However
there will almost always be another alternate route to take. Search around, if
you aren't that skilled and you may find another way.
5."Sequence breaking", if you can call it like that, is not only possible, but requested (that's what
this hack was made for, multiple solutions can lead you on the right path)

Some Screenies:

Known Bugs (nothing gamebreaking and no softlocks so far, phew):
[spoiler]1.Water GFX:
Sometimes the water in room 9 (the lowest room on the map) glitches
out and orange dots appear over it

2.Fusion and its event music:
The game uses event music which "overrules" all the music which is
supposed to play in the room instead. To prevent this, I wrote
a code, which writes 1F 58 00 00 00 00 at offset 0x30019DD.
This works for the most part of the game, until you defeat the
charge beam x core and leave the room (in the vanilla game after
leaving the room Sector 1's music (0x4) plays and is prioritized).
Instead of the music, that is supposed to play, the navigation room music plays, for the rest
of the game. After leaving the room again the nav music and the
music supposed to be played are mixed up and that of course
sounds really odd. However, there's a fix. Apparently the item
fanfare (or any fanfare in particular) somehow tells the music
engine to stop being dumb, the nav music disappears and everything
is back to normal. This means after defeating the boss I have to force
the player to collect an item so everything becomes normal again.
I have wasted hours on a solution to this, but to no avail.
If someone knows what happens exactly in the RAM when an item is
collected or if you have any knowledge about how the game handles
event music and fanfares then please tell me.
Even Cpt. Glitch and Biospark couldn't help me, so I guess this
is still unexplored territory. For now the code I wrote after
putting in days of research has to suffice I guess (it isn't perfect
and the music might eventually be screwed up at some points, but with
my code and edits it's at least acceptable)

3.Escape Timer GFX:
The Escape Timer will glitch out if a message is displayed because
the timer and almost all message boxes use up the same gfx row. I tried
fixing this wherever possible, but since all rooms should still be able to be
entered during the escape scene it's impossible to come up with a full fix,
so please understand.

4.Demos:
I only made 3 demos because I was lazy. The other ones may not look good, but they don't
break the game (don't initiate a game over).[/spoiler]

You got 100% if your max stats are...
[spoiler]-699 Energy
-85 Missiles
-26 Power Bombs[/spoiler]

WARNING/SPOILER:
[spoiler]This hack contains content not safe for work, in form
of graphics which show partial nudity and maybe some
language. Player discretion is advised![/spoiler]

Credit goes to:
   [spoiler]

• Biospark (I copied and modified a part of his code for the endgame activation routine,
    to make it work for specific coordinates and he also helped me with some stuff, like the Samus' spawn point when
            saving the game using the ship)
  • Interdpth (for finding out how to activate the meltdown alarm)
  • Cpt. Glitch (for helping me while learning assembly)
[/spoiler]

What I did entirely (or almost entirely) myself (SPOILERS!):
   [spoiler]Writing code for...

• hijacking the main game loop (EXTREMELY useful!!!)
  • skipping the pre-title scene
  • giving upgrades to Samus, under certain conditions
  • preventing the event music to play (sort of)
  • changing the physics depending on the room and area
  • writing a routine that calculates the ending percentage correctly
   and also (of course) editing graphics and working on the hack with MAGE[/spoiler]

GFX Credits (SPOILERS!):
   [spoiler]-Super Mario Sunshine Sprites (Spriter's Resource)
      Sprites ripped by Bacon & Rogultgot, Edited by Flare
   -Sci-Fi Gates by nicnubill-d7qctin
   -Minecraft mat-iron mat-reinforcedglass
   -Kirby Squeak Squad - Doc (HAL, Nintendo)
   -Metroid Zero Mission - Mothership
   -Metal Slug Advance - Final Mission - Part 1: Outskirts
   -Kirby Super Star Ultra - Halberd
      Ripped by Nonnie Grey and spritesandfights (Spriter's Resource)
   -973982 - A-Z@Tamamon Metroid Samus Aran, "Samus barbara stephanie victoria aran" (Geldroid Wiki)
   -i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/853/462/df7.png
   -tsukemon love r18, santa festal presents 2016 SUMMER, Kafuu Chino 2038223 (zerochan.net)
   -Kongou (Kantai Collection) full 1960408 (zerochan.net)
   -Free shipping Touhou Alice Margatroid Hugging Pillow, UT8sS9DXiXbXXagOFbXJ.jpg (www.aliexpress.com)
   ...and some other generic google pics with scaled down resolution,less colors, etc...[/spoiler]

Anyway, this post was way too long. Just play and enjoy already!
Download is attached. (You need to patch Metroid Fusion U)
*I needed a forum post for this in order to upload the new version correctly onto the main site.*

elol

Good afternoon Mar99troid would like to know how I get to this part below, can you find the gravity suit out there?

Mar99troid

Quote from: elol on August 18, 2018, 04:23:24 PM
Good afternoon Mar99troid would like to know how I get to this part below, can you find the gravity suit out there?

[spoiler=This hint might spoil your experience with this hack]The entrance to that room is somewhere nearby. Look around and you'll find it eventually. However, it's not linked to finding Gravity Suit and completely optional. I won't tell you more, so have fun exloring![/spoiler]

elol

I would like to ask you one last question so as not to be annoying, in the first room the door is serrated I have the water beam and in this other room it is also blocked and this type of enemy can not be destroyed. Do those places have something secret or does not have anything to do?

Mar99troid

Quote from: elol on August 19, 2018, 08:18:11 PM
I would like to ask you one last question so as not to be annoying, in the first room the door is serrated I have the water beam and in this other room it is also blocked and this type of enemy can not be destroyed. Do those places have something secret or does not have anything to do?

[spoiler=Reading this might spoil your experience with this hack]Return to these places later on in the game when a certain event happened and you'll find it out by yourself.   :wink:[/spoiler]

interdpth

Holy crap a fusion hack and you did timer stuff! I am going to play that through this storm tomorrow!

Nabil

Amazing Hack you made xDD

Strokend

I feel like I've been going in a mostly linear fashion... I've found a couple of out-of-the-way paths, but now I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go next.  There are a few "off screen" areas in rooms (which I feel is a mistake in their design), but none that let me go any further than this map
[spoiler][/spoiler]

caauyjdp

[spoiler]There's a way down from the kind of X shaped room in the left part of the map, in lower right "leg", after the morph maze, before the big room with the stabilizer. There's also another path, but that's kind of meant to be discovered on the way back.[/spoiler]

Strokend

Hey, thanks! I found my way to the top left and cleared that bit too, but decided to wait for information beyond that. I managed to quickly find my way through the leg of the X, kind of sneaky...

[spoiler]Although now I think there's a problem with my video settings or something. The Thick Gravity Changing room is all purple.[/spoiler]

Edit: Towards the ending
[spoiler]I've made it to the escape sequence with... nothing on my back. I've got powerbombs and missiles, no other upgrades whatsoever.

And I can't seem to make it to any of the floating platforms in this final room
[/spoiler]

caauyjdp

Quote from: Strokend on November 15, 2018, 12:55:37 AM
[spoiler]Although now I think there's a problem with my video settings or something. The Thick Gravity Changing room is all purple.[/spoiler]
That is intended afaik.
Quote from: Strokend on November 15, 2018, 12:55:37 AM
Edit: Towards the ending
[spoiler]I've made it to the escape sequence with... nothing on my back. I've got powerbombs and missiles, no other upgrades whatsoever.

And I can't seem to make it to any of the floating platforms in this final room
[/spoiler]

Quote from: Mar99troid on August 18, 2018, 01:53:03 PM
4.Sometimes it might seem like advanced techniques (like jump extent) are required to progress. However
there will almost always be another alternate route to take. Search around, if
you aren't that skilled and you may find another way.
In other words, for that route you probably need to jump extend. That afaik means breaking out of spin jump by shooting(and possibly respinning and doing it again). I don't know if it resets your falling momentum or just shifts your hitbox higher, but it works. It also helps if you know that in(vanilla at least), if you jump away from a wall while hanging on the ledge, you get more horizontal speed than if you'd just jump in the direction while standing/running from the top.
Don't know if it helps, but I can say that that route is doable.

There's also another escape route, which I'm not going to spoil. It might be nsfw tough.

And as of other upgrades, there is charge beam, and you do get speed booster on the other escape route.

Strokend

Huh, I wasn't able to find the other escape route. I did find a little hint though before I posted that, though it took me until a while later to realize what it meant.

[spoiler]There are the little keypad things hint there being an easier route--The start of this escape had one, and then in that room was another one. Above it was a hole in the ceiling that you could jump through.[/spoiler]

PhoenixKing22

Can you make a patch for the nonlinear thing in the hack?

Sapphron

QuoteThe thing that makes your hack nonlinear
I literally already gave you this in PMs what are you asking for
It's not finished and it's going to stay that way unless you wanna do something about it

PhoenixKing22

Quote from: Sapphron on January 14, 2020, 11:13:08 PM
QuoteThe thing that makes your hack nonlinear
I literally already gave you this in PMs what are you asking for
It's not finished and it's going to stay that way unless you wanna do something about it
I thought PJboy got it done or something

Sapphron

QuoteEDIT: Clearly I've stopped working on this, but I found a hex tweak to allow out of order event sequencing:
^from the event system post
Read before you post on year old forum threads ffs