News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[Metroid Fusion] Suit Replacements

Started by C-Dude, June 12, 2018, 07:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which suit would you use in your Fusion Hack?

Classic Varia
4 (400%)
Zero Suit
2 (200%)
New Take on Fusion Suit
4 (400%)
Brand New Sprite (Chozo)
2 (200%)
Brand New Sprite (Other Genre)
0 (0%)
Other (Please Explain)
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 0

C-Dude

So, I'm working on doing some sprite replacement for Metroid Fusion.  I'm using the brute force method, which means I'm assembling one sprite from its chopped-up pieces in the uncompressed tiles, chopping up the replacement sprite accordingly, and then pasting it as a replacement in the uncompressed tiles.

It's actually (slightly) easier than it sounds, because all pieces relevant to one of Samus's poses in Fusion appear in sequential order.  For instance, the first sprite that appears in her proper palette is cannon-unbrandished start-run left.  Morph ball is also super-easy to replace.

...The thing is, once I move on to the next sprite, I never want to revisit the first one again.  As such, I want to prep as many sprite replacements for her as possible so that when I figure out a new sprite in the uncompressed tiles I can make <x> versions of the file with different appearances.

But there's not really a point in doing that if nobody has any intent of using them.  This is about the extent to which I'm willing to rom-hack, so making a bunch of options that will never be used would just be a waste.  As such, I'm interested in learning what kind of sprites people would want to use in their Fusion hacks.

Explanation of the poll options:[spoiler]

• Classic Varia: This is really just fan service.  I've been lurking on the boards and this is quite frequently requested, I suspect to make sequels to Fusion (the greatly sought Metroid 5).  I've got a sheet from Spriter's Resource (rip credit: Infinity'sEnd) that will easily adapt to the Fusion poses, so this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.
  • Zero Suit: This one started as fan service (for the Justin Bailey crowd), but I also considered how impactful it would be for zero-suit Samus to face a clone at full power. I've been modifying MZM poses from a Spriter's Resource sheet (rip credit: RipperinoRipperoni).  Having a little trouble with this one due to scale; because her body is slightly smaller than the Fusion Suit, her hair is doing some funky things because the ROM is skipping the blank segments.  She might turn out a little funky as a result.  But I DID teach her to somersault!
  • New Take on Fusion Suit: This is the reason I started down this long, terrifying, and possibly futile road.  I hate the fusion suit.  I love the concept, but it looks like Samus was attacked by a jellyfish.  The Varia palette looks like vomit.  And whoever was art director didn't understand that shoulderpads and shoulders are not the same thing.  I've been working on a version that looks more like Samus underwent extensive surgical removal; she's got bits of yellow musculature from her original suit's undercoating with her blue jumpsuit exposed underneath, the shoulderpads are gone, and her helmet has been removed in favor of a cowl with a respirator in it.  This is honestly the easiest option, as very little of her lower body is changing.  It doesn't have to be, though.  I've seen other fusion suit concepts across the internet (including a space pirate variety by some Deviant Art painter with alias ImDrunkOnTea) and I'd be willing to put in the work to do something with them if there's a demand for it.  The sheet I'm using (rip credit: OmegaKyogre) is extensively thorough, so building off of it is fairly easy.
  • Brand New Sprite (Chozo): Before I realized that my competency in rom hacking was insufficient (and my level design has the coherency of a drunk lemming), I had planned to make a full hack prequel to the series (mostly jokingly) called Chozodian, which would detail the adventures of two ineffective brothers tasked with testing a new prototype suit.  While I've now realized that I don't have the patience to make something like this, I thought that perhaps others might be interested in similar pursuits.  This train of thought has been reinforced by that one SM hack about the space pirate with the power suit, so I thought I'd ask.
  • Brand New Sprite (Other Genre): If you strip away the space setting, the basic concept of a Metroid game is essentially a dragon hunter seeking prey.  I could see somebody giving the game a fantasy white-wash if a magician character sprite was available.  Perhaps I am the only person who thinks that way, though.
[/spoiler]

Posted here because it's not really a hack or a hack idea, and while I have a few functioning screenshots it's not far enough along to be worth sharing them (I've literally only replaced four frames: the left run start and the three morphball frames, the latter I'm going to have to do over from scratch because I hadn't started taking notes).

So... what do you want Samus to look like in Fusion?

EDIT:  Decided to link to a picture (Google Drive)
[spoiler]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c7Pu_2WtNzcgWu_PNTqAVs6JepeL4NhG/view?usp=sharing[/spoiler]I only have screens for Zero and Surgery (and even then only one frame) as those are the only two I've actually placed into the game.  Others are for sprite sheets in process (Did you know Samus is two pixels taller in MZM?), and some in particular (like Tea, based off somebody's fan concept art I found online at this address: https://imdrunkontea.deviantart.com/art/Metroid-Fusion-Suit-Redesign-419802511) are only in the first stage of setup.