News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Favorite SM hacks?

Started by theuprising, July 15, 2014, 01:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theuprising

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on July 16, 2014, 10:54:24 PM
Without getting too involved in the discussion, I certainly do agree with the general idea that, if you find Legacy hard, perhaps playing hacks isn't the best idea.  I found Redesign 1000x harder than Legacy, and I think most hack players would agree.  Walljumping is far from an "advanced" technique.
I learned how to multi-shinespark and wall jump in Zero Mission, and learned how to IBJ in Legacy trying to sequence break lol. I don't know I'm still finding redesign easier and more rewarding in terms of exploration, gives me the same feeling I had when I was a kid playing the original SM, where it would take me forever to get a single item because of how big and dangerous the world was. Something about a good degree of items being hidden behind nondescript blocks and walls throws me off in Legacy, maybe the original was like that, I don't remember.

I'll definitely give Stardust a try before I become so good that these hacks don't provide challenge anymore. I've been playing through Super Zero Mission, and good god, you could fool people into thinking Nintendo made it.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: theuprising on July 17, 2014, 10:13:57 PM
I've been playing through Super Zero Mission
Some advice: You need to finish one major hack before you start playing through another.

theuprising

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on July 18, 2014, 03:48:35 AM
Quote from: theuprising on July 17, 2014, 10:13:57 PM
I've been playing through Super Zero Mission
Some advice: You need to finish one major hack before you start playing through another.
I guess I can't decide a game to dedicate some good time too so I dabble, I do this for lots of games.

I found SM: Z-factor, and its the one I've chosen to run through first, I'm not sure why no one else recommended it.

Quietus

Quote from: theuprising on July 31, 2014, 05:16:29 PMI found SM: Z-factor, and its the one I've chosen to run through first, I'm not sure why no one else recommended it.
Quote from: Jordan5 on July 15, 2014, 06:00:56 PMgood hacks are: Legacy, Phazon, Super Zero Mission, Z-Factor, Life and there are other decent ones like Airy and Redesign

Also, in the second reply of this thread, I linked to the previous thread, which mentions Z-Factor numerous times.

:heheh:

Dyceron

Z-Factor hands down is the best hack.

dronesplitter

I'm trying to remember if Super Zero Mission actually requires walljumping at all...can't really think of a time where it actually requires it (just to finish the game with any %). However, as someone that walljumps and hardly ever messes up doing it, it feels like a totally natural ability in the game to me anyway so I could be forgetting a point in the game that you need it.

Steel Sparkle

some of my favs are: Phazon(can't wait for 0.4),Hydellius Ultimate, Ice Metal Uninstall and Super Zero Mission.
I think a topic like this could have waited till some of the newer hacks like X-Fusion and Phazon 0.4 come out but that's just me.

thedopefish

You might have noticed that this is a 2 year old dead topic.  Or it was until drone necro'd it.

dronesplitter

His reply is useful to me, at least. I posted in this topic partly because I got caught up in reading through part of it while looking for hacks to play, should have thought better about bumping something old, though. People frown on it, sigh.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: dronesplitter on July 25, 2016, 07:03:40 AM
His reply is useful to me at most, I posted in this topic partly because I got caught up in reading through part of it.
I should have thought better about bumping something old though.

Don't worry about it long as it is staying on topic or posting up new information to the thread no one would care especially the mods.

Favorite super metroid hack, thats a tough one but I would choose Metroid Super Zero mission.
The closest thats come to it in my book is begrimes project 0.72 hack.

Quietus

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 25, 2016, 11:53:59 PMno one would care especially the mods.
I'm glad this has been cleared up.

Demi

I've been lurking here off and on for 2 years watching the progress of some of the hacks here but have never actually played any of them myself. So, hopefully some of you hack aficionados know some of the higher end hacks you could suggest. I'm also looking myself and going to try Phantom v3, SM Redesign, and Zero Super Mission. Some things that may help make suggestions are the things I enjoy in games which is highly explorable maps, challenge, and the need to master things such as shinesparking, infinite bomb jumping, and platforming.

All suggestions will be considered and I'll continue to look for more as well. I really enjoy Metroid and have spent years playing it and using randomizers. I hope these hacks are the kinds of thing you need to personally experience to appreciate them.

Jordan5

Merged the new topic into this one as there are literally hundreds of threads asking the same thing. I recommend you try to use the search feature before creating a new topic next time.

I also recommend reading Personitis' answer as he suggests different hacks for a range of interests.

Iscariath

Aran;Jaeger

Here's a more up to date overview of all the hacks together with the rating I gave them (outside of those that appeared after Summer Games Done Quick 2017, which though should also be in the list near the bottom). This list has proven to be helpful to people in the past:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/218520158963105792/443424412797239296/List_of_all_existing_rated_SM_hacks.txt

Hippopottymouth

My top 5 would have to be: Z-Factor, Reimagined, Falling, Redesign Axeil Edition and ERIS2012

Great list Aran;Jaeger!

MetroidNerd#9001

I'm just going to say @Aran;Jaeger I applaud you for playing all of these hacks. I don't know how long that takes, but I'm sure that it takes a while. Do you think you'll make another list of hacks sometime in the near future to account for other new hacks like Blood+ and Ancient Chozo?

Aran;Jaeger

''SM Blood'' is not a new hack, and is covered in the list, but yeah I guess you're refering to a rework of the hack (same as what seems to be happening currently for SM Phantom). I am trying to keep the list of hacks complete, but will likely not be going through further hacks to play them, because I rather now make my own hacks and research and TAS other (mostly SNES) games, but eventually I might come back to playing through further hacks, considering it took around 4 to 5 years to go through all the hacks from the past (of course while doing plenty of other things meanwhile).