News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Old SMILE Help Thread

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Next question: How would I go about creating two separate appearances for a PLM.  I'm thinking of having the first Missile, Super, and Power Bomb give you an initial amount, with all of the expansions adding a different number.  I know Redesign did it, having (I think) three different ones for the Missiles.  If it helps, my expansion PLM's are not animated, and have the same static image for collection, so the other could be used.  I know how to change the amount they allocate, and am looking only at the sprite.

gunnargumpert

hi guys!

i need a shutter, that doesn't move if you shot it.

it shouldn't make a sound at anytime, and it must be solid!

("only walljump at enemies-glitch")

thelicker

Quote from: Zhs2 on February 11, 2010, 08:44:31 PM
Quote from: thelicker
But it works in a JU Rom? And I need to clean my Rom to do it? I already removed de header...
I using JU because I can't open USA rom in SMILE... "This Rom is PAL and not properly with SMILE".
You've got it backwards, boy. A PAL rom is the European counterpart to the Japanese and American NTSC rom, which are marked with (E) and (JU) respectively. Only the NTSC (JU) rom is supported by SMILE. PAL (E) roms used to be editable, but the enemy tables did not match up with the NTSC lookups and so PAL support was removed.

But, when I go patching Headered or Unheadered JU roms, spoil the Rom.
How do I remove de header of European roms?

EDIT: When I go change my message boxes, I can't see it.

o.O

Zhs2

Quote from: thelickerBut, when I go patching Headered or Unheadered JU roms, spoil the Rom.
Elaborate? There's no known patch on the market today that requires the use of a European rom. Headers are a different story, and an important one you have to pay attention to when you're patching other people's stuff to your roms. People will tell you if their patches are for headered or unheadered.

Quote from: thelickerHow do I remove de header of European roms?
European roms have the added assembly code to display those subtitles during the introduction. European roms will always have a different shape to them than their NTSC counterparts.

thelicker

About the header I know :yay:
I'm trying know why some patches not works in my original JU roms (with or without header).

EDIT: Problem fixed, this is just a save file error ^^

One question with DC's tutorial for Message Box edting: I need to use TLP, or a Hex Editor?

personitis

Quote from: Quietus on February 12, 2010, 06:03:23 AM
Next question: How would I go about creating two separate appearances for a PLM.  I'm thinking of having the first Missile, Super, and Power Bomb give you an initial amount, with all of the expansions adding a different number.  I know Redesign did it, having (I think) three different ones for the Missiles.  If it helps, my expansion PLM's are not animated, and have the same static image for collection, so the other could be used.  I know how to change the amount they allocate, and am looking only at the sprite.
Doing this is quite easy. Looking at thing from Redesign's perspective, open missiles gave 2, missiles in chozo balls gave 5, and missiles hidden in the walls and such gave 10 (then they's the one at the end that's open and gives 10). If you want to change things like this, simply goto the PLM screen in SMILE and there's an option that says "Value." Just type in how much you want the pickup to give you. That simple.

Quietus

Thanks for clarifying the figures for Redesign, but that's not what I was asking. :heheh:

I knew how to do that part, but what I was asking was whether / how it would be possible to change the sprite within it.  For example: I want the first pickup to be the major one, granting 10 missiles, with a sprite to reflect this (will have the number 10 on it), but all of the others, both in-scenery ones and open ones, to grant just 2.

Having retested Redesign, it doesn't do what I'm asking, as all the sprites are the same, it is just a value change, so sorry if I threw you!

GF_Kennon

Maybe Create a new PLM for them

Scyzer

Quietus: I've never looked into how the Missiles/supers/PBs/ETs are drawn, but I'll have a look into itfor you and see if I can get what you're looking for. Hopefully it can be done with just a code hijack, otherwise a new PLM will work fine anyway (new PLMs are easy, but they take up more valuable space)

I already made a bomb jump item, whoever wanted it. Then I deleted it cause I didn't see any real use for it... =P I can make it again though

gunnargumpert

walljump isn't a problem, but i need more help!!!

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek_QxXMhIm8[/spoiler]

the new tiles aren't working any more, after i got to pause screen!

p.s.: the tiles were made in the last 2 lines of the gfx file, but it actualy shouldn´t matter

Edit: The TILES aren't stolen! I made them in TLP!

Katelyn

Gunnar: i had that problem too. the 2 rows with X's are appearently not meant to be used. So you have the overwrite the other tiles like, the elevator tiles, eye door tiles etc...

GF_Kennon

I would like to know how to fix this problem, wonder how hard it would be.

gunnargumpert

Quote from: Shadox on February 13, 2010, 09:55:10 AM
Gunnar: i had that problem too. the 2 rows with X's are appearently not meant to be used. So you have the overwrite the other tiles like, the elevator tiles, eye door tiles etc...

i did it! and... ... after leaving the area with new tiles and going back, it is black again!!!

i need help!

Katelyn

im talking about in the GFX

(sorry for small post)

thelicker

Quote from: thelicker on February 12, 2010, 11:49:39 AM
One question with DC's tutorial for Message Box edting: I need to use TLP, or a Hex Editor?

Waiting for a reply...

GF_Kennon

Quote from: thelicker on February 13, 2010, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: thelicker on February 12, 2010, 11:49:39 AM

Waiting for a reply...

Hex Editor

thelicker

Quietus

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on February 12, 2010, 10:57:23 PMQuietus: I've never looked into how the Missiles/supers/PBs/ETs are drawn, but I'll have a look into itfor you and see if I can get what you're looking for. Hopefully it can be done with just a code hijack, otherwise a new PLM will work fine anyway (new PLMs are easy, but they take up more valuable space)

Thanks, Sadiz.  I was hoping it might have been a simple case of some bytes pointing to which tiles in the table it was drawn from, but that wasn't the case (from what I could see).  If it makes it any easier, I could even use the existing sprite's counterpart, as my pickups for the Missiles / Supers / Bombs are not animeted, and have the two sprites appearing static, so one is essentially redundant.

thelicker

My last question, what's a tile table?

gunnargumpert

Quote from: Shadox on February 13, 2010, 10:12:06 AM
im talking about in the GFX

(sorry for small post)

well, what must i do?  i want it at every prafic set! (CRE)

Smiley

Step by step...
1. In SMILE, open the Graphics editor, and there go to Tile Table -> Export Tile Tables (make sure you're using the correct tileset.)
2. Open *Romname*_SCENERY.ttb in TLP
3. Open *Romname*_CRE.ttb in another TLP
4. In SCENERY.ttb, copy your new tiles...
5. In CRE.ttb, paste the tiles over some tiles which you're never gonna use in your hack.
6. Save CRE.ttb
7. In SMILE's graphics editor, go to Tile Table -> Import CRE Tile Table (Auto-saves)
8. Probably done now, but if the tiles appear weirdly in SMILE, do the required thing in GE and save.

Also, the SCENERY.ttb and CRE.ttb will be in the same folder as your ROM. And GE stands for Graphics Editor.

Hopefully you don't need screenshots.

thelicker

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on February 13, 2010, 11:26:47 AM
Step by step...
1. In SMILE, open the Graphics editor, and there go to Tile Table -> Export Tile Tables (make sure you're using the correct tileset.)
2. Open *Romname*_SCENERY.ttb in TLP
3. Open *Romname*_CRE.ttb in another TLP
4. In SCENERY.ttb, copy your new tiles...
5. In CRE.ttb, paste the tiles over some tiles which you're never gonna use in your hack.
6. Save CRE.ttb
7. In SMILE's graphics editor, go to Tile Table -> Import CRE Tile Table (Auto-saves)
8. Probably done now, but if the tiles appear weirdly in SMILE, do the required thing in GE and save.

Also, the SCENERY.ttb and CRE.ttb will be in the same folder as your ROM. And GE stands for Graphics Editor.

Hopefully you don't need screenshots.

When I go open my CRE tile table in TLP, this message appear: Error: Could not open the file *folder and file name* .

Smiley

Quote from: thelicker on February 13, 2010, 11:32:41 AM
When I go open my CRE tile table in SMILE, this message appear: Error: Could not open the file *folder and file name* .
You mean you tried to insert whatever changes you made with TLP? Uh, well... :whoa: that's all i can say.
Or if you tried to export the tables, then... well, somethings wrong.
Oh, and make sure you're not trying to insert CRE to scenery or vice-versa. Though you get a different message if you try that IIRC.

Quote from: gunnargumpert
you ment me?
Yes. Not to be rude or anything, though.

thelicker

Someone know where I can find a good hex tutorial?