News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Old SMILE Help Thread

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parabox

Of all places I think this post should go here, if not, please notify me. What I really would like in the next version of SMILE are two little buttons added to Beauty Salon: Speed Booster and Shine Spark. These two buttons should not be too much work for Jathys. Their function is quite simple. For Speed Booster it adds the values normally added to the colors to make it look authentic and for Shine Spark basicly the same.

- Parabox out

Acheron

Quote from: DekuKnight on November 24, 2009, 03:54:53 PM
Of all places I think this post should go here, if not, please notify me. What I really would like in the next version of SMILE are two little buttons added to Beauty Salon: Speed Booster and Shine Spark. These two buttons should not be too much work for Jathys. Their function is quite simple. For Speed Booster it adds the values normally added to the colors to make it look authentic and for Shine Spark basicly the same.

- Parabox out

You can already do this with the current functions: just change the colors set near the buttons before clicking them.

rolando

Quote from: person701 on November 23, 2009, 07:34:39 PM
It's already been done by Jathys but hasn't been released yet. And it's not the sticky surfaces you're talking about.
i understand that the spiderball would be a great item but wouldn't it be alittle useless because of walljump or of other abilities? just saying

oh and i was wondering would i need ASM to make a custom FX1 like lets say if i want heat bit,mardia's wallfall effect,etc
in the same FX1 sheet and it could be used in any area?

Jathys

Quote from: rolando on November 24, 2009, 05:18:46 PMi understand that the spiderball would be a great item but wouldn't it be alittle useless because of walljump or of other abilities? just saying
-What if you need to go through a morph tunnel to reach the area you'd start walljumping in? Are you going to drop to the floor so you can start jumping, or simply roll through?
-What if the room has no floor or walls?
-What if a morph tunnel has crumbling blocks on the bottom, preventing you from rolling through it the "normal" way?
-What if you're fighting a boss that takes up way too much of the floor?

Simply having spiderball is pointless. But if the game specifically addresses why the item should exist, then it's a safe bet to say it'll be useful.

rolando

well now that you put it that way your right.

oh and i tried looking for the special gfx data in the graphic editor but i don't see any drop down option in the bottom of the window and i have smile 2.50

Parabox

and there's always those kind of anti-morph space blocks, like in Redesign (or were those even special blocks?)

GF_Kennon

Quote from: Jathys on November 24, 2009, 10:10:54 PM
-What if the room has no floor or walls?

Then you got no choice but to fall regardless?

also while I'm here I just want to know why you don't update the level entries fix Sadiztk made?

Jathys

Quote from: GF_Kennon on November 25, 2009, 10:20:28 AMThen you got no choice but to fall regardless?
Unless you've got something overhead to grip to.

Quote from: GF_Kennon on November 25, 2009, 10:20:28 AMalso while I'm here I just want to know why you don't update the level entries fix Sadiztk made?
Truthfully:
1) Never checked out the differences.
2) Even with an updated list, people will still think that SMILE calculates how much space they have. Assuming a person is moving around a lot of data, the chance for an overwrite is still high.
3) I'm lazy and like to procrastinate.

Cadarot

Quote from: Jathys on November 25, 2009, 10:58:20 AM
This. :grin:

Also
How would a wall-less floor-less room even work? Wouldn't you fall through and end up in "another room".

DSO

Quote from: Flamestar666 on November 25, 2009, 04:40:24 PM

Also
How would a wall-less floor-less room even work? Wouldn't you fall through and end up in "another room".
I can see many ways such a room could work, some of which require very little work at all to pull off. The absence of walls or floor would make designing very simple as well.

Cadarot

Quote from: DSO on November 25, 2009, 04:51:49 PM
Quote from: Flamestar666 on November 25, 2009, 04:40:24 PM

Also
I can see many ways such a room could work, some of which require very little work at all to pull off. The absence of walls or floor would make designing very simple as well.
Can you explain please?

Parabox

walls/floors as doors I think

Cpearl015

Hello again, I have a doubt that if I could clarify: In my hack to change the whole map of crateria, joining together to crateria wrecked ship, terrmine my map, but leave the names from the other areas, where the elevators were previously , how do I move or delete the names  them  or write them myself?

Jathys

Quote from: Flamestar666 on November 25, 2009, 04:40:24 PMHow would a wall-less floor-less room even work? Wouldn't you fall through and end up in "another room".
Pretend you were gripping the bottom of an flying "thing". There would be a "ceiling" overhead, but the "floor" would be waaay down, right? Well, if you fell off the screen, it would simply make sense to load you to an area below that has a floor... But it would make no sense for the ground to be just a few screens below something that's supposed to be miles up.

personitis

@Cperal015: SadiztykFish has a document on those in the documents section.

FullOfFail

Ok, this really isnt SMILE, but I was wondering something, has anybody ever played with making heat-seeking missiles? Is that even possible to make? (anything's possible with ASM, right). I'd also like to replace the x-ray scope with these missiles.

Your thoughts?

EDIT:

Another idea i just got is maybe making the xray an actual weapon. Like a death ray, possibly as powerful as a powerbomb. But I would need to find a way to give it ammo, otherwise it would be too easily abused. Also I would need to make it to where samus and enemies move while doing it.

Jathys

Quote from: FullOfFail on November 29, 2009, 07:03:21 AM
Ok, this really isnt SMILE, but I was wondering something, has anybody ever played with making heat-seeking missiles?
Played with it? Yes. Succeeded? So, so. The problem here isn't getting the missile to change direction and graphic, but rather knowing what it's supposed to be going towards. If you have 3 enemies in the path, how's it supposed to know which one to go for? Closest one? What if the closest one is behind the missile whereas one that's 3 pixels farther away is right in front of it? Best thought on this I ever came up with would be to use the Cancel button to "reset" the missiles, so the next one would be normal. If it hit an enemy, all missiles from that point would seek that enemy (resetting again, if you killed it). Never got around to finishing it, as I'm doing too many things already.

Another idea i just got is maybe making the xray an actual weapon. Like a death ray, possibly as powerful as a powerbomb. But I would need to find a way to give it ammo, otherwise it would be too easily abused. Also I would need to make it to where samus and enemies move while doing it.
I already did a small code that allows the enemies to keep moving during x-ray. Sadly, the "XRAY AI" you see in SMILE that is run when x-ray is being used around the enemy has 4 quirks:
1) Reserve tanks trigger it as well... Easy fix though.
2) The enemy has no way of knowing whether the x-ray actually shined on it, or simply in the same room.
3) Enemies (and I'd guess their projectiles as well) don't cause damage to Samus.
4) Enemies don't take damage during this time normally, so it'd have to be added to their X-Ray AI pointer unless another workaround was found.

Also keep in mind that enemy projectiles are frozen in time, as are Samus's projectiles. FX1 liquids don't rise/lower at this point either, nor would they (by default) damage samus. Also going to need to force the game timer to run while x-ray/reserves are on, though that would be an easy fix.

[spoiler]http://jathys.zophar.net/images/temp/xray00.wmv <-- iirc, about $10 bytes of code, once I figured what I had to do[/spoiler]

FullOfFail

Quote from: Jathys on November 29, 2009, 09:52:12 AM
Ok, this really isnt SMILE, but I was wondering something, has anybody ever played with making heat-seeking missiles?
If you have 3 enemies in the path, how's it supposed to know which one to go for? Closest one? What if the closest one is behind the missile whereas one that's 3 pixels farther away is right in front of it?

I could probably live with it going after any random enemy on screen. Although, it going after the closest would seem the most effective. If a enemy was behind you, you could just have it shoot straight (like normal) if no enemies are infront of you. This way it would cut down on the potential abuse of it too. Is there anyway I can get like the patch from you? I'd like to test out what you've already worked on and try to incorporate it somehow.

-----

And about the x-ray scope, I was really more wondering if you could change the animation totally, like change it from what it is now into say motherbrain's lazer that drains all your energy. That'd be the coolest weapon ever.

Crashtour99

Quote from: Jathys on November 29, 2009, 09:52:12 AM
I already did a small code that allows the enemies to keep moving during x-ray. Sadly, the "XRAY AI" you see in SMILE that is run when x-ray is being used around the enemy has 4 quirks:
1) Reserve tanks trigger it as well... Easy fix though.
2) The enemy has no way of knowing whether the x-ray actually shined on it, or simply in the same room.
3) Enemies (and I'd guess their projectiles as well) don't cause damage to Samus.
4) Enemies don't take damage during this time normally, so it'd have to be added to their X-Ray AI pointer unless another workaround was found.

Also keep in mind that enemy projectiles are frozen in time, as are Samus's projectiles. FX1 liquids don't rise/lower at this point either, nor would they (by default) damage samus. Also going to need to force the game timer to run while x-ray/reserves are on, though that would be an easy fix.
This actually gives me an interesting idea.  How about a time freeze upgrade for Samus?  While in use everything freezes as normal only enemies are visible (along with liquids and backgrounds, etc.) and can be interacted with (while they're frozen in time).  It would still require some way to keep it from being abused, perhaps by giving it ammo and a timer or making it damage Samus.  And of course you'd have to get rid of the x-ray beam that shines from the helmet.

*edit for randomness*  I find it humorous that the creator of SMILE has a sad face for an avatar image.   :lol:

Jathys

Quote from: Crashtour99 on November 29, 2009, 11:38:02 AM
This actually gives me an interesting idea.  How about a time freeze upgrade for Samus?
Not quite a total freeze, but a slow down for everything but Samus is already planned.

rolando

would i need ASM to have 2 of each boss in super metroid? and would the code be very long?
like for example i copied bomb torizo data (everything) and repointed to freespace but when i try to play it,lets say if i kill torizo in one room then if i go to the other room to see if i could fight him again it doesn't work.
i know it has something to do with the check box but is their a way where i could copy the data of that check box to freespace and try it out?

Scyzer

THe bosses work by boss bits. If you beat a boss, a bit is set, then when you go back into that room, that bit is read, and comes up positive, so the room changes and you won't fight the boss. What's happening is you're beating one boss, setting the bit, which means the other boss won't appear. The same thing would happen if you tried to put Phantoon and Ridley into the same area (or any of the 2 main bosses), as each boss sets the same bit, but each area has different bits. This is why you cannot set a room's alternate state to activate upon beating a boss in another area (not without ASM).

You can, of course, have 2 Kraids, as long as they're in different areas, as they set different bits.
If you wanted to do what I think you want to do, you'll need to JSR to extra code that checks which boss it is (room ID check or something unique between the bosses), then set a boss bit that way. Then you'd need to change the way the boss bits are read, so it can recognise the new bit (again, check which boss with the room ID).

There are 8 bits to set IIRC, so you could theoretically have 8 bosses in each area, but that would take up MUCH more space.

rolando

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on November 30, 2009, 07:39:05 PM
THe bosses work by boss bits. If you beat a boss, a bit is set, then when you go back into that room, that bit is read, and comes up positive, so the room changes and you won't fight the boss. What's happening is you're beating one boss, setting the bit, which means the other boss won't appear. The same thing would happen if you tried to put Phantoon and Ridley into the same area (or any of the 2 main bosses), as each boss sets the same bit, but each area has different bits. This is why you cannot set a room's alternate state to activate upon beating a boss in another area (not without ASM).

You can, of course, have 2 Kraids, as long as they're in different areas, as they set different bits.
If you wanted to do what I think you want to do, you'll need to JSR to extra code that checks which boss it is (room ID check or something unique between the bosses), then set a boss bit that way. Then you'd need to change the way the boss bits are read, so it can recognise the new bit (again, check which boss with the room ID).

There are 8 bits to set IIRC, so you could theoretically have 8 bosses in each area, but that would take up MUCH more space.
so im guessing i can't do the 2 kraids thing with out asm?

personitis

Quote from: rolando on November 30, 2009, 09:14:36 PMso im guessing i can't do the 2 kraids thing with out asm?
You can, just not in the same area. And there can't be another big boss like Ridley, Draygon, or Phantoon in that area also.

rolando

Quote from: person701 on November 30, 2009, 09:23:17 PM
Quote from: rolando on November 30, 2009, 09:14:36 PMso im guessing i can't do the 2 kraids thing with out asm?
You can, just not in the same area. And there can't be another big boss like Ridley, Draygon, or Phantoon in that area also.
damn now that gonna be a problem..until i figure this out i won't be able to do the boos thing the way i want it.