News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Old SMILE Help Thread

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolando

when i repoint GFX data and i go into the pointer window to put in the new pointer and when i save it do i click yes or no?
im asking because it doesn't say in squishy's docs.

Hacker347

Click "NO" I made the mistake of clicking "YES" and now i can't test it or play it i can only create it... :sad:

personitis

Quote from: Grime on November 09, 2009, 01:58:26 PM
5.) Go to "Edit > Pointers" again, and replace the BG_Data with the one you got from a working background. Click "NO" when SMILE asks if you want to copy the data or leave it! If you click "Yes", your pretty much asking for a broken ROM.
Differnent pointer, same concept.

Hacker347

Righto. :oh:

Edit: Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me How To Fix My Game  :sad: I Accidentally Clicked "YES" Instead Of "NO" :cry:

rolando

Quote from: Hacker347 on November 11, 2009, 02:38:43 PM
Click "NO" I made the mistake of clicking "YES" and now i can't test it or play it i can only create it... :sad:
gotta start over with a new rom....i made the same mistake. just go slow when those windows pop up.

ok i repointed the tile set and the table set to free space and did everything i had to do how it says in your doc's.. now when i mess with the tiles in the GFX editor i could add tiles with out worrying about messing up the other tilesets? and if i wanted to add lets say the tiles from draygons room with wreaked ships tiles could i fit all of this in TLP? then fix it up back in smile GFX editor?

MultiK1llZ

I am confused on how to change the Haze FX from blue to Black?

DSO

Quote from: rolando on November 11, 2009, 07:10:11 PM
gotta start over with a new rom....i made the same mistake. just go slow when those windows pop up.

ok i repointed the tile set and the table set to free space and did everything i had to do how it says in your doc's.. now when i mess with the tiles in the GFX editor i could add tiles with out worrying about messing up the other tilesets? and if i wanted to add lets say the tiles from draygons room with wreaked ships tiles could i fit all of this in TLP? then fix it up back in smile GFX editor?

No need to start over with a new ROM. You can reset what you did with a hex editor. Just look at the pointer you messed up, open both your hack and a clean ROM to that spot, and copy the bytes that are different starting at that spot from the clean ROM over into the hack. Save and close the hex editor, then open the hack with SMILE and save/create a new IPS.

Also, you cannot add more space for graphics to tilesets than what there already is. It's a limit the game set and even if you're a programming genius who can open up enough RAM to expand it, SMILE will have no built in support for your alterations. So you'll just have to make do with the spaces you've got. However, if you repointed the tileset with plenty of space, you can change it around all you want without worry.

Quote from: MultiK1llZ on November 12, 2009, 09:08:40 PM
I am confused on how to change the Haze FX from blue to Black?

You'll need a hex editor, and do be aware that there are a few side effects...

Locations for an unheadered ROM in the hex editor:

Value to change Haze colors:
45E11 (pre area boss death) and 45E16 (post area boss death)

Black Haze: Change 4008C to B3 (Subtract color instead of add) and use white. Normally set to 33.

So, at 45E11 and 45E16, you'll want E0 - FF, any of which will be white but in varying strengths. E0 would be "normal", or the same intensity as it's already blue. F0 would be painfully bright. Once you have your white haze, change 4008C from 33 to B3, and the haze color will be subtracted instead of added, hence "black".

If you want to know the other haze colors, here's how they work.

Blue = 20, Red = 40, and Green = 80. Want purple? Add blue and red together to get 60. Cyan? Blue and green together to get A0. Yellow? C0 is what you want. Finally, adding all together to get white gets you a value of E0.

rolando

oh its ok DSO i kinda found a work around,by using mardia's tile set (which has the most space out of all the tile sets)

begrimed

The side-effects of changing haze to black are pretty minor, but they're there. Here are a few I noted when I was toying around with the hazes for Project Base:

- EYE monster colors (by morph and missiles near the beginning)
- Varia/Gravity suits' "flash" when Samus' color changes
- Darkens Kraid slightly; darkens Phantoon slightly when he becomes "solid" and vulnerable to attack
- Darkens Crateria's rain and scrolling sky

Possibly some others I overlooked. Thankfully, those side-effects don't necessarily look bad.

Hacker347

Quote from: DSO on November 12, 2009, 09:54:15 PM
Quote from: rolando on November 11, 2009, 07:10:11 PM

No need to start over with a new ROM. You can reset what you did with a hex editor. Just look at the pointer you messed up, open both your hack and a clean ROM to that spot, and copy the bytes that are different starting at that spot from the clean ROM over into the hack. Save and close the hex editor, then open the hack with SMILE and save/create a new IPS.

AHHH COME ON already started the new rom

Jathys

Quote from: Hacker347 on November 13, 2009, 06:23:58 AMAHHH COME ON already started the new rom
Funny thing about computers is that they can store more data than just the stuff you know you need. Don't delete something the instant you decide you probably don't need it, as you'll likely realize shortly after that you were wrong. Start a "crap" folder to put those roms in, just until you're positive they'll serve no purpose.

Hacker347

Ok, and 1 question why wont my rom expand a room? :pwuh:

Cpearl015

Quote from: Hacker347 on November 11, 2009, 09:56:44 AM
I might be able to help but i need a clear explanation. one part of color purple or blue part that can not be used is not a clear enough explanation. i need a picture or something.

Well look at this:

begrimed

QuoteOk, and 1 question why wont my rom expand a room?

Sigh. All expanding does is add a new bank to the end of the ROM (starting at $E0), which is free space that you can repoint level data and other things to if you know how. If you're determined enough, read these links. Study them, even.

www.metroidconstruction.com/ExpandingRooms.php
www.metroidconstruction.com/ExpandingRooms2.php
www.metroidconstruction.com/docs/GrimeBanks.txt

GF_Kennon

Quote from: Cpearl015 on November 13, 2009, 09:16:35 AM
Quote from: Hacker347 on November 11, 2009, 09:56:44 AM
I might be able to help but i need a clear explanation. one part of color purple or blue part that can not be used is not a clear enough explanation. i need a picture or something.

Well look at this:

You might want to fix your image link, it should look more like this http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4121/pruebafh.jpg make sure you get a direct link

Thats currently nothing, you need to expand the room to do that, which is under Edit and then Room Properties, then edit the width of the room or the hight of the room, bear in mind you have limited space for that room, and expanding it may mean you will run out of space, but you can just follow Grime's guide just above my post.

Zhs2

Quote from: GF_KennonThats currently nothing, you need to expand the room to do that, which is under Edit and then Room Properties, then edit the width of the room or the hight of the room, bear in mind you have limited space for that room, and expanding it may mean you will run out of space...
Uhh, you mean he'll start overwriting stuff. :pwuh: That's generally what happens if you tell a room to expand when it's in the middle of the rom and there's no free space after it?

@Cpearl015: SMILE would warn you if you were about to overwrite something. It's smart. Go ahead and try.

Jathys

Quote from: Zhs2 on November 13, 2009, 10:15:20 AM@Cpearl015: SMILE would warn you if you were about to overwrite something. It's smart. Go ahead and try.
@Cpearl015: SMILE is dumb. Make sure to back up first.

Hacker347

How do i move the ship or elevators?

Edit: what do i do to make the D7FF move?

Scyzer

Quote from: Hacker347 on November 13, 2009, 05:37:42 PM

To move the ship:

1. Locate your mouse on your desk next to your computer.
2. Place you hand on said mouse.
3. Using the mouse, move the pointer over the ship in SMILE.
4. Click down, and move the mouse.
5. Move the ship to where you want it
6. Release the mouse button

To move an elevator:

1. Repeat steps 1-6 above.
2. Place door tiles directly underneath the elevator.

In the likely event that you fail to follow these instructions, please desist all operations with SMILE immediately.

squishy_ichigo

Elevators themselves are abit tricky if you want to say... make a new one.  But moving them isn't so hard.   Are you trying to move it horizontally or vertically?

rolando

would i need to repoint data for the BG also so i could make a custom background for each tile set?

Hacker347

Thats not funny Sadiztyk Fish doe anybody have a real EXPLANATION  :stern:

Cpearl015

Quote from: Jathys on November 13, 2009, 05:21:52 PM
Quote from: Zhs2 on November 13, 2009, 10:15:20 AM@Cpearl015: SMILE would warn you if you were about to overwrite something. It's smart. Go ahead and try.
@Cpearl015: SMILE is dumb. Make sure to back up first.

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for creating Smile.

Quote from: Zhs2 on November 13, 2009, 10:15:20 AM
Quote from: GF_KennonThats currently nothing, you need to expand the room to do that, which is under Edit and then Room Properties, then edit the width of the room or the hight of the room, bear in mind you have limited space for that room, and expanding it may mean you will run out of space...
Uhh, you mean he'll start overwriting stuff. :pwuh: That's generally what happens if you tell a room to expand when it's in the middle of the rom and there's no free space after it?

@Cpearl015: SMILE would warn you if you were about to overwrite something. It's smart. Go ahead and try.

Thanks hope to do a good hack.

PD:One more question, how do I use that portion that appears in the image, that is my question.

rolando

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on November 13, 2009, 10:32:57 PM

To move the ship:

1. Locate your mouse on your desk next to your computer.
2. Place you hand on said mouse.
3. Using the mouse, move the pointer over the ship in SMILE.
4. Click down, and move the mouse.
5. Move the ship to where you want it
6. Release the mouse button

To move an elevator:

1. Repeat steps 1-6 above.
2. Place door tiles directly underneath the elevator.

In the likely event that you fail to follow these instructions, please desist all operations with SMILE immediately.
i think he meant on how to make it work correctly like when you load from it or save so it doesn't get all screwed up

Jathys

According to the text that'll be on the enemy editor in SMILE when you've opened it to that enemy:

D7FF (aka- KAMER)
[Speed] = 0000/0001 for left/right
[Speed 2]
     -1st nybble = vertical speed (maxes out around 40)
     -2nd nybble = horizontal speed (starts glitching around 50)

I would say you should edit the value for Speed 2 and set it something between 1 and 50. Perhaps put Speed at 0000 or 0001.