News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

THE NEXT QUEST!

Started by zaphod, September 23, 2018, 02:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod

Metroid - the next Quest is my first hack for the original game.  It is harder. The levels are bigger. the layout of the map has changed. Most weapons are in different locations. You can get very lost in norfar, as well as when you die in norfar you do not start at the elevator. As this being my first hack I have reused alot of the screens already present in the game, I have however made some of my own.

I would appreciate any feedback I believe that the bugs have been worked out, but may have missed something.

Thanks.

Updated to 1.2  - fixed the up-down room before bombs so that you dont need high jump to get there.

Updated to 1.3 - fixed the need ice beam to get ice beam problem.

also I am aware of a sprite glitch in ridleys lair with the lava. But every time I try to fix it the lava stops doing damge, I am still working on that but am aware of it.

zaphod

alexman25

Ah, so kind of like Zelda's master quest? That's a neat idea!

andlabs

I have 20 missiles and one energy tank. Every path I take either leads me to:

- a permastuck (the top-right of Kraid and part of Brinstar can't be exited without bombs)
- a dead end (two rooms in Brinstar just end with a wall, one of them in front of the door)
- a platform that's too high to jump to without Hi-Jump Boots (two of them in Brinstar)
- some combination of the three

What am I missing?

zaphod

The next quest 1.2

I had a screen i used in two places and tweaked the one for high jump forgetting the other spot. I have that corrected (up-down room right in front of bombs)

there are several spots that work as one ways - for example when you go in to the section of brinstar that contains bombs you go through an up-down room with a shootable block. but then you can not get out of that section until you find bombs.   

In 1.2 I got to bombs with 15 missiles and 2 energy tanks.

I looked all over the map and could not find a door that opens in side a wall. (If you could elaborate on where you see this would be helpful) 

There is however a room that opens in to a room that is almost a wall but there is a secret in that room.

The top right corner of kraids lair is a trap if you go there without bombs, and was done that way on purpose.

-----------

you have to go to kraids lair long enough to get the initial missiles and an energy tank. but i would not attempt to  go through down in to the depths until you are fairly powered up.

there are several "one ways" that you can not back track through without getting bombs or high jump, and there are sever "traps" set though out.

zaphod

Also there are a couple of rooms in brinstar to to the size and layout that at the end of a left and right room. (particularly the room with the energy tank that is to dead end there but you can see the adjacent up down room, like the brinstar ice beam room in the original) this is do to using a lot more spaces on the map.

andlabs

All right. I've beaten Kraid and have Hi-Jump Boots, and I can go around much of the map, but I can't seem to progress further without Ice Beam. Where is it?

zaphod

Sorry about that. I am all new to this. What I did was when I tested this out I used nar password so I could make sure every thing works without dying, and I think that is how I missed the high jump to bombs and now the ice beam issue. I have corrected it and went through the game proper, although I did miss a few missiles, i did not see any other problems.

I fixed the need ice beam to get ice beam It is located roughly in the same part of norfar that it originally is in. there was an up down room you needed to freeze an enemy to progress. I have corrected that part, but you still need high jump to get up there.